michaelfossbakk
Best Friend

Comics you're reading at the moment

Feb 12, '16, 10:25pm

Been a DC fan through and through. Currently reading Midnighter every month and loving it. Decided to take a dip in the Marvel pool recently and picked up Old Man Logan #1 and Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender. Hopefully they treat me well!

Spidergwen
Best Friend
Position/Title: Creator on Patreon
PSN: toddingram

Re: Comics you're reading at the moment

Feb 12, '16, 11:11pm

Midnighter is the shit!

Great job on DC's part giving him his own series, glad to hear more people enjoying it.
Support Me on Patreon for Weekly Comic Book Character Redesigns!
February's Theme: Superman!

LuketheGoon
Pure One
PSN: LuketheGoon
Steam: DrunkenGoon

Feb 15, '16, 5:47pm

Just picked up the trade Marvel: The End by Jim Starlin.. Not bad so far. I've never really been a fan of all the cosmic stuff, but my friend let me borrow his copy so I'm giving it a whirl.

prototypetom
Seducer
PSN: prototypetom

Feb 16, '16, 5:51pm

Wow, all-star superman... huge dissapointment. Writing and art did nothing for me. I wonder if it was written more for regular superman fans as something a bit arty farty - it just seemed vacant and insubstantial to me. Relieved I opted for the paperback!

On to Transmetropolitan.
Last edited by prototypetom on Feb 17, '16, 12:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got chills and they're multiplying

The_Almighty_Foofy
Shadow Boxer
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
Steam: atomic_pingas

Feb 17, '16, 11:18am

As of now, nothing at the moment. Just finished TWD Compendium 3 and Invincible Vol. 22 (Reboot?). Waiting for Sex Criminals Vol. 3 to come out.
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

dudeshot
Seducer
PSN: chickenlittle711

Feb 17, '16, 8:36pm

prototypetom wrote:Wow, all-star superman... huge dissapointment. Writing and art did nothing for me. I wonder if it was written more for regular superman fans as something a bit arty farty - it just seemed vacant and insubstantial to me. Relieved I opted for the paperback!

On to Transmetropolitan.

Well, All Star Superman I think may be required taste due to how Morrison is as writer. It's honoring Golden Age and Silver Age aspect of the character which some readers don't have context for. It's not for everyone but it may be book that if you come back to it later with more context on the character you may get more out of it.

I don't know if it's for novice Superman writer as Superman: Secret Identity is.

I'm reading March Book Two and The Left Bank Gang

houstonz
Producer
PSN: DawnFKennedy

Feb 17, '16, 8:43pm

Going through some New Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man stuff before and during Civil War right now.

prototypetom
Seducer

Feb 18, '16, 7:29am

dudeshot wrote:
prototypetom wrote:Wow, all-star superman... huge dissapointment. Writing and art did nothing for me. I wonder if it was written more for regular superman fans as something a bit arty farty - it just seemed vacant and insubstantial to me. Relieved I opted for the paperback!

On to Transmetropolitan.

Well, All Star Superman I think may be required taste due to how Morrison is as writer. It's honoring Golden Age and Silver Age aspect of the character which some readers don't have context for. It's not for everyone but it may be book that if you come back to it later with more context on the character you may get more out of it.

Yeah I've been thinking that, although I don't think it's a problem with Morrison per se, this has been the first thing of his i've read and not liked.
I think it was actually the art that tripped me up at first. I'm not keen on empty backgrounds because to me they make everything seem a bit unreal, staged. And then on top of that canvas, many of the plot elements just seem to pop into existence from almost nothing, problems and solutions, and then pop out of existence again. I didn't feel like the characters particularly cared about one another, nor me about them. Lois particularly felt like a stranger despite her integral role. And Leo Quintum, I had to go look him up online to find out who this huge character in the superman universe was I'd never heard of!.. and oh, he's not, he just popped into existence in this book. (right?) Given the scope of his work and relationship with supes, that was a stretch too far.

there were positives though. I liked the Christ subtext of superman being massaged, I enjoyed the future Supermen visiting, and I enjoyed the field trip to Bizarro world. So I do hope to come back to it in the future and get more out of it. After i've read what might be more base-line Superman stories. I'm not sure what though, the one I had been eyeing up was Kingdom Come, but that's them all old and shit (and alt universe), so again, probably something that benefits from base-line context I would guess.

dudeshot wrote:I don't know if it's for novice Superman writer as Superman: Secret Identity is.

I have no idea what that meant, sorry portilloKevin

Brian Mordeca
Seducer

Feb 18, '16, 3:53pm

Catching up on We Stand on Guard. Fantastic book, highly recommended.

dudeshot
Seducer
PSN: chickenlittle711

Feb 18, '16, 4:38pm

prototypetom wrote:
dudeshot wrote:

On to Transmetropolitan.

Yeah I've been thinking that, although I don't think it's a problem with Morrison per se, this has been the first thing of his i've read and not liked.
I think it was actually the art that tripped me up at first. I'm not keen on empty backgrounds because to me they make everything seem a bit unreal, staged. And then on top of that canvas, many of the plot elements just seem to pop into existence from almost nothing, problems and solutions, and then pop out of existence again. I didn't feel like the characters particularly cared about one another, nor me about them. Lois particularly felt like a stranger despite her integral role. And Leo Quintum, I had to go look him up online to find out who this huge character in the superman universe was I'd never heard of!.. and oh, he's not, he just popped into existence in this book. (right?) Given the scope of his work and relationship with supes, that was a stretch too far.

there were positives though. I liked the Christ subtext of superman being massaged, I enjoyed the future Supermen visiting, and I enjoyed the field trip to Bizarro world. So I do hope to come back to it in the future and get more out of it. After i've read what might be more base-line Superman stories. I'm not sure what though, the one I had been eyeing up was Kingdom Come, but that's them all old and shit (and alt universe), so again, probably something that benefits from base-line context I would guess.

dudeshot wrote:I don't know if it's for novice Superman writer as Superman: Secret Identity is.

I have no idea what that meant, sorry portilloKevin

I think you almost have to view the story in different mindset. Like view each issue is telling it's own story and not view it as graphic novel. Like I just thought there was applied history of Quintum in this world that it didn't really bother me.

Well I meant like if you wanted to find Superman to enjoy, I would recommend Secret Identity
since it's focuses on the human aspect of Clark and grounds character in reality better than most stories do while still being true to who character is. it's Superman is also good baseline fictional Superman book as well

i don't love Kingdom Come due to art not being good comic book art imo

prototypetom
Seducer

Feb 18, '16, 5:42pm

dudeshot wrote:I think you almost have to view the story in different mindset. Like view each issue is telling it's own story and not view it as graphic novel. Like I just thought there was applied history of Quintum in this world that it didn't really bother me.

Well I meant like if you wanted to find Superman to enjoy, I would recommend Secret Identity
since it's focuses on the human aspect of Clark and grounds character in reality better than most stories do while still being true to who character is. it's Superman is also good baseline fictional Superman book as well

i don't love Kingdom Come due to art not being good comic book art imo

I'll put it on my wishlist. thanks

prototypetom
Seducer

Feb 22, '16, 11:50am

Okay so Y: The Last Man book 1 dropped through my letterbox and I had to put down everything else i'm reading (Transmetropolitan/ Multiversity).

It's like crack. read it in two sittings.

houstonz
Producer

Feb 22, '16, 9:12pm

prototypetom wrote:Okay so Y: The Last Man book 1 dropped through my letterbox and I had to put down everything else i'm reading (Transmetropolitan/ Multiversity).

Word. I couldn't put down the first book of Locke & Key til I was done with it. I think that's the only volume of anything that I've read in a single sitting.

zombieducklings
Pure One
PSN: zombieduckling

Feb 23, '16, 2:18pm

I've been working on Watchmen for two years.

prototypetom
Seducer

Feb 23, '16, 4:20pm

houstonz wrote:
prototypetom wrote:Okay so Y: The Last Man book 1 dropped through my letterbox and I had to put down everything else i'm reading (Transmetropolitan/ Multiversity).

Word. I couldn't put down the first book of Locke & Key til I was done with it. I think that's the only volume of anything that I've read in a single sitting.

sooo looking forward to locke and key. I think i'll be the same, but i want the big books, it's a frustrating wait!

prototypetom
Seducer

Feb 26, '16, 10:56am

Y the last man book2, one sitting. thank god there's only five books, this would ruin me.

I also finished The Multiverse.... and I really don't know how i felt about that. at all.

starting Transmetropolitan for the 3rd time!

AndrewDonut
Pure One
PSN: MrAndrewDonut

Feb 27, '16, 11:36am

Brian Mordeca wrote:Catching up on We Stand on Guard. Fantastic book, highly recommended.

I wasn't a fan, stopped pulling after issue 3 I think.

houstonz
Producer

Feb 28, '16, 5:45pm

AndrewDonut wrote:
Brian Mordeca wrote:Catching up on We Stand on Guard. Fantastic book, highly recommended.

I wasn't a fan, stopped pulling after issue 3 I think.

I picked up all 6 issues and have yet to open them. Straight to the backlog.. lol

Selfox
Producer
PSN: selkies24
NNID: selkies24
Steam: selkies24

Feb 28, '16, 6:42pm

New book wise I'm really feeling ringside,American alien and wolf

BluenoseGames
Producer
XBL: BluenoseGames
PSN: BluenoseGames

Comics you're reading at the moment

Feb 29, '16, 12:17pm

I just finished issue 1 of Superman American Alien.
"Why doesn't everyone just wear Iron Man Suits" - Colin 2016