houstonz
Producer
PSN: DawnFKennedy

Comics you're reading at the moment

May 24, '16, 3:53pm

I read the latest issue of Outcast last week.. and saw the first episode of the show for free via PSN a week early. I dug the visuals and actors.

The book is pretty interesting and a bit of a slow burn at times. It's like each time there's a reveal of sorts it just leads to more questions. I dig it.

Hellspont
Unsung Hero

Re: Comics you're reading at the moment

May 29, '16, 11:52am

All-New Wolverine, its so good. Getting ready for Rebirth on Wednesday.

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer
PSN: prototypetom

Jun 08, '16, 7:35am

Just finished Transmetropolitan.

What a great, great comic that was. A+.

started some Deadpool collection by Daniel Way.

Just read the opening section from wolverine origins - how the fuck is this the same artist that did preacher? o_0
Image Image

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Jun 28, '16, 5:05am

Deadpool was fun, will read more. although some of the art was terrible, can't believe it was the same guy who did preacher, wrong style imo.

I then read the first hardcover collecting Brubaker & Philips' Fatale - really good, can't wait to read the 2nd volume. trying to explore genre atm, so something this distinct was super.

And I read the first FreakAngels TPB. It's a bit pedestrian in presentation, but i guess that's because it's a web comic. ATM it seems like there's too many characters and not enough stuff actually happening. It's been literally a whole TPB of just character introductions and world building - but I do really like the world, hopefully in the next TPB some story stuff might happen.

waiting on Fatale vol 2 and the first New52 Batman book.
Image Image

houstonz
Producer

Jun 28, '16, 9:56pm

Just read the first volume of 'Sheltered' in one sitting, which has gotten pretty rare for me. Kinda sad to find that there's only 3 volumes, but I'll be purchasing the other two very soon.

Also finished volume five of 'Chew' today. Really cool series. Rob Guillory's art and the funny/silly little tidbits in the background of panels are great.

Booster Gold
Pure One
XBL: Red Tornado93
PSN: GonzoTheGreat93

Jul 01, '16, 2:52pm

Did anyone read this weeks issue of DK 3 yet? I really enjoyed it. That book is turning out to be pretty awesome.

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Jul 04, '16, 9:48am

Fatale Vol.2

Still really solid, heck i might even go finish it now.

And I got Court of Owls with it, and I just meant to see what the art was like and ended up reading the first single while stood where i was, really looking forward to that now!
Image Image

zjamesw
Pure One
PSN: zjamesw
Steam: zjamesw

Jul 13, '16, 2:44pm

Is anyone else reading Poe Dameron? I've really been enjoying that.

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Jul 14, '16, 8:16am

Court of Owls, City of Owls. Nailed it! that was some damn good Bats!

Moving on to Death of the Family and Sinestro Corps War which have just arrived.

Think I'll then have to go back to image/vertigo type stuff. Either scalped or revival I guess, maybe lazarus.
Image Image

zjamesw
Pure One
PSN: zjamesw
Steam: zjamesw

Jul 14, '16, 11:16am

prototypetom wrote:Court of Owls, City of Owls. Nailed it! that was some damn good Bats!

Moving on to Death of the Family and Sinestro Corps War which have just arrived.

Think I'll then have to go back to image/vertigo type stuff. Either scalped or revival I guess, maybe lazarus.

Brace yourself for Death of the Family. That is one amazing story.

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Jul 14, '16, 1:40pm

zjamesw wrote:
prototypetom wrote:Court of Owls, City of Owls. Nailed it! that was some damn good Bats!

Brace yourself for Death of the Family. That is one amazing story.

cool, can't wait after the owls books.

Wondering if i should pick up the Joker Death of the Family TP too, as it collects all the extended bits from the rest of the family books. I do love the Joker.
Image Image

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Jul 18, '16, 7:08pm

Decided to read Sinestro Corp War first - really cool, and quite distinct from anything I've read since Morrison's Multiversity, and blessedly straight forward story in comparison. Which reminds, me, I must go back and read some more Morrison to form a more solid opinion of his writing. but not sure if I want to go way back to something like Animal Man, or forward into something more bite-sized and completely original like Nameless. But anyway, great advice from Mercenary074, I'll be returning to the GL soon and make my way through to Blackest Night and Brightest Day.

So onto Death Of the Family

Next I think I'll order Blacksad and The Incal, for something really different before any more supers. Have to say I'm not looking forward to Year Zero, origin stories drive me crazy, which it sounds like this is. But I'm going to complete the new52 Batman run. Although I'm tempted to postpone it a little longer to try Immortal Iron Fist by Brubaker.
Last edited by prototypetom on Jul 20, '16, 5:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Eternal ECHOE5
Best Friend

Jul 19, '16, 12:21pm

I know I'm late, but last week I finished Kingdom Come. THAT is how you do a crossover event.

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Jul 30, '16, 5:48am

Well Blacksad was cool. The stories were well written enough, just not very interesting - the artwork though, that was something else. amazing.

Death in the Family was good... but not quite as good as I'd hoped. It all felt a bit sudden and rushed - perhaps I should have picked up The Joker TPB to flesh it out, but now I'm done with the main story I'm not feeling that motivated to do that.

Jumped straight back into GL with the rage of the red lanterns because sinstro corps war struck a chord and i wanted more. Expect I'll just plough through agent orange next and then do all three Blackest Night TPB's (following a singles reading order I found on reddit)
Image Image

CZor04
Unsung Hero
PSN: C-Zor

Jul 31, '16, 12:58pm

My pull list is big....so here are my highlights for this week:

DC - Rebirth is continuing with the good quality, Titans was perhaps the best book I read this week, loved seeing these characters back together and didn't saw that character coming back at all. Both Nightwing and Batgirl were strong in their first issues (love Alburqueque art on Batgirl) and I'm glad for that last page on Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps.

Marvel - Well, skipping that on Civil War II was a letdown but finally we are going into the big fight (also knowing about Steve now, that scene between him and Tony was interesting). I'm still on board with Captain America: Steve Rogers and this whole Hydra Cap business as it seems there is something else in there. Other issues this week were solid (Mighty Thor, Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel & Old Man Logan)

Image - I'm always a month behind, so I just read East of West (27) and I see shit has hit the fan as well as The Autumnlands (11) as interesting where things are going.
:kinda PSN ID: C-Zor :kinda

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Aug 05, '16, 11:17am

Rage of the Red Lanterns was pretty good, well worth a read.

Halfway through Agent Orange atm.

The 3 Blackest Night TPB's have been ordered, and I've found a robust reading order list to do it as close to as intended as poss. I think this will sate my Hero craving for a while. Think i'll pick up Lazarus and revival afterwards to bring things back to normal (ish) clothing. and I wanna get back to more hardcovers, I'm very happy that i decided to stick to paperback for hero stuff, but I'm missing the feeling of a real book in my hands (blacksad was over too quick!).
Image Image

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Aug 15, '16, 4:32pm

Ploughing through Blackest night.

Finding it a bit of a chore having decided to follow the release continuity across the 3 books. but I think I'm getting more out of the whole AND each book doing it like this. I will come back and reread each TP on it's own in the future to see how the pace/narrative differs.

But the whole event is good fun, glad to be reading it.
Image Image

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Aug 18, '16, 10:47am

Blackest Night done.

It was a fun ride. Ticked all the boxes I hoped it would... but left a few itches unscratched. At the end I got a bit suspicious it was all a big ploy to resurrect some of the characters which apparently were dead at the time. And tbh, I think being impressed at how all the threads were kept together padded out my positive feeling about the whole thing, or the narrative's own merits. My problem with GL in general is it's a bit like a game of super power conkers, I miss the Batman-esque resolve through wit / guile. I also don't feel like I've connected with any of the characters in my short journey, except perhaps Sinestro. Jordan feels like a shop window mannequin to me, and his girlfriend and family cardboard cut outs - but I suppose this kind of event isn't the best place to get to know the main man with so much other stuff happening. What I loved was the mythology and the scale of the thing, Nekron was jolly, it was just a shame he looked so similar to the Black Hand - I was a bit disappointed Scar got wiped out of the picture too, her duplicity was one of the great flavours of the first act and build up.

I might come back to GL in the future and check out Brightest Day, but I'm craving something a little more real world and gritty, so I've ordered Scalped HC 1. I also ordered Invincible HC 1 because after the slightly hollow Hal, my impression is that Invincible offers a more focused and linear study of a superhero.
Image Image

p33polk
Pure One
XBL: LakersNash10
PSN: LakersNash10
NNID: LakersNash10
Steam: Lakersnash10

Aug 18, '16, 4:27pm

Currently picking these up from DC Rebirth
Action Comics
All-Star Batman (loved the first issue, you should definitely give it a try)
Batman (what a surprise, another great batman comic)
Green Arrow
Green Lanterns
New Super-Man
Superman (Another fantastic character building story so far)
Superwoman
Titans

Aside from those I'm working my way through Invincible and the Star Wars comics. And of course I'm still picking up Walking Dead every month and love where they're at right now with it.

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Aug 30, '16, 10:00am

Just finished Invincible hardcover 1 a few days ago.

Good read. I struggle a bit with the simplistic art style, but I do like the vibe it gives the book and i think it's growing on me. It's certainly matched well to the writing which is clear and confidently written.
I found it a bit odd that at the end of the book I had a moment's sensation it had been a bit on the vacuous side. But when running a mental account of everything I was taking away from the book there was actually a little more than one might expect. But most importantly, I was left keen to find out what's going to happen next.
Extras in the book are really nice too, lots of concept sketches which is what I like to see.

Ordered a second hand copy of the 2nd book because I ordered the 1st Locke & Key master collection book at the same time which was a little more than i like to spend on a hardcover. Hopefully it'll pay off. Scalped still hasn't come, but it's from the states. But my reading list for the next month looks like...
Invincible V2
Planetary Omnibus
Locke & Key
Scalped
Image Image

Return to “Media”