Re: Comics you're reading at the moment

Sep 02, '16, 11:45pm

Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men run.

ProfessorXavier
Pure One
PSN: fiddycent

Sep 02, '16, 11:51pm

prototypetom wrote:Death in the Family was good... but not quite as good as I'd hoped. It all felt a bit sudden and rushed - perhaps I should have picked up The Joker TPB to flesh it out, but now I'm done with the main story I'm not feeling that motivated to do that.

Yeah... DITF Might have been a little over hyped, I felt, after getting to it late. The Court of Owls/City of Owls arc is superior imo.

ProfessorXavier
Pure One

Sep 03, '16, 12:01am

I also just finished Batman: The Long Halloween and really enjoyed it. Great read. You can totally see TDK was influenced by this book. If you love TDK check it out.

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer
PSN: prototypetom

Sep 08, '16, 5:43pm

Just finished invincible ultimate collection vol 2.

hmmm. Not sure how I'm feeling about it now. I'll probably give a 3rd vol a go and see then. but atm I can't imagine doing all 10(?) volumes. I can't say there's anything bad about it, but there's something that's not quite working for me.

Halfway through Locke & Key master edition, I guess the first trade/arc. Brilliant. Not quite what I was expecting so far, but really enjoyed it.
Image Image

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Sep 15, '16, 2:32pm

Second arc of Locke & Key - more brilliant! I need to get more of this, asap, find out what's going on! Looking forward to the second master edition, but i might hold off and see if there's any deals with the 3rd master edition's release next month.

Started the Planetary Omnibus. Threw me a little at first as it seemed so straight forward, but recurring threads are starting to appear now i'm a few singles in which is intriguing.
Image Image

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Sep 21, '16, 8:30am

Top Ten by Alan Moore. So far it's pretty good. The art has a nice retro realism style to it. I'll talk more about it when I finish it.

prototypetom wrote:Second arc of Locke & Key - more brilliant! I need to get more of this, asap, find out what's going on! Looking forward to the second master edition, but i might hold off and see if there's any deals with the 3rd master edition's release next month.

Started the Planetary Omnibus. Threw me a little at first as it seemed so straight forward, but recurring threads are starting to appear now i'm a few singles in which is intriguing.

Loved Lock & Key. I haven't got around to Planetary yet, but it's I'm my to do list.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas

Sep 21, '16, 8:54am

Just read Volume 1 of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and the new Black Panther helmed by Ta-Neasi Coates. Also been reading Volume 3 of Lazarus and Volume 11 of Gundam Wing: Glory of the Losers.
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Sep 21, '16, 11:40am

Deathtone wrote:
Loved Lock & Key. I haven't got around to Planetary yet, but it's I'm my to do list.

you got to stick with it a bit. I'm a little over halfway through and it's been gearing up since the kooky but un-engaging start and it's now got quite a lot of recurring ideas and plot going on. And the lead has really come into his own.

Although I'm still trying to get my head around Spider Jerusalem's cameo! Teh WTF indeed. (not a spoiler)
Image Image

wandamaximoff
Best Friend
Steam: danielletrash

Comics you're reading at the moment

Sep 23, '16, 2:15am

i'm currently re-reading the first run of birds of prey (and also the current batgirl's birds of prey) but predictably, the scarlet witch solo series has been consistently one of my favourites lately as well as Vision's solo run.

HavokX
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Havok83

Sep 25, '16, 1:27pm

ProfessorXavier wrote:Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men run.

He's had three runs. Which one are you referring to? I hope its the first bc if its the latter two, poor you

I just started All New, Extraordinary and Uncanny X-men that released post-Secret Wars

Also making my way via mid 80s X-books following along with the Jay and Miles Xplain the X-men podcast (highly recommend that to any X fans)

ProfessorXavier
Pure One

Sep 30, '16, 9:28pm

HavokX wrote:

He's had three runs. Which one are you referring to? I hope its the first bc if its the latter two, poor you

I just started All New, Extraordinary and Uncanny X-men that released post-Secret Wars

Also making my way via mid 80s X-books following along with the Jay and Miles Xplain the X-men podcast (highly recommend that to any X fans)

I assume his first as I'm not very far in. I'm only a few issues past the first appearance of The Phoenix. Put it on the back burner as of late though, haven't really been feeling it.

HavokX
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Havok83

Oct 01, '16, 4:37am

ProfessorXavier wrote:
HavokX wrote:

I assume his first as I'm not very far in. I'm only a few issues past the first appearance of The Phoenix. Put it on the back burner as of late though, haven't really been feeling it.

Yea thats his first run which runs from (Uncanny) X-men 94-280! I would continue with it though. The first issues were a bit rough as he was getting a feel for the team and dynamics. The Phoenix saga is arguably his best material culminating with the Dark Phoenix Saga climax in UXM 137. That era is gold and gets better when John Byrne shows up as artist

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Oct 03, '16, 6:32pm

finished the main Planetary story. Really good.

Happy to see lots of cross-overs in the back of the book to read now.
Image Image

ProfessorXavier
Pure One

Oct 03, '16, 6:41pm

HavokX wrote: Yea thats his first run which runs from (Uncanny) X-men 94-280! I would continue with it though. The first issues were a bit rough as he was getting a feel for the team and dynamics. The Phoenix saga is arguably his best material culminating with the Dark Phoenix Saga climax in UXM 137. That era is gold and gets better when John Byrne shows up as artist

Oh, ok cool. I'll try keep going with it then. I'm a big X-Men fan, so if anything it's cool to just read more of the history of these characters.

Booster Gold
Pure One
XBL: Red Tornado93
PSN: GonzoTheGreat93

Oct 07, '16, 8:07pm

I'm currently reading Batman: Knightfall, and man does it drag.

TheFabledHunter
Unsung Hero
XBL: TheFabledHero
PSN: TheFabledHunter
Steam: TheFabledHero

Oct 10, '16, 6:44pm

I became a much bigger Marvel fan and I got a Year Subscription for Marvel Unlimited. The Comics I got into the most was this series called The Pulse. It's got Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Spider-Man and all sorts of heroes in it. Although Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are the star super-heroes in the series and the others are "involved" in their own way. I've got some Spider-Man stuff and Guardians of the Galaxy and Daredevil on my reading list. Haven't touched them in a while now. NEED TO READ AGAIN!

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Oct 11, '16, 7:31pm

currently reading Red Star. It kinda blurs the line a bit between comic and illustrated book so far. I got it out of curiosity due to the mixed media artwork... and it's a bit hit and miss. On the plus side you get these big dramatic pages, but then sometimes you get a crappy texture or the composite doesn't gel. the writing is not bad, but i'm only a couple of issues into the book and atm dealing with mostly flashback/exposition, which i assume will change at some point (although it'd be interesting if it doesn't!)
Image Image

Killon56
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Killon56
Steam: Killon

Oct 14, '16, 8:15am

Galvatron \o/ PRAISE THE SUN \o/ Galvatron

prototypetom
Shadow Boxer

Oct 14, '16, 10:11am

^ nice, that's on my wish list, but after I read The Incal I think.

Finished the first Red Star hardcover.
umm, well I am keen to get the second book because it got very compelling in the last couple of issues here, and quite affecting too at one point.
But it's a fairly flawed experience and one i'd be weary to recommend. The story is uneven and imo needed a firm editor or influencer to cut some of it's indulgences, bridge some of the holes and maybe improve the rhythm a little. The design basically shares the same problem, I love a good splash page but it gets tiring to read (and navigate) page after page and at times makes it feel almost pretentious. And the Art, yep once again, seemingly suffers the same lack of objective review with most of the traditional artwork looking fantastic and some .... really not. I like the organic, pencilly/painterly textured style, but when it misses the mark it really makes it look like a work in progress or 'just a draft'.
The story really is a worthy and fascinating premise though, well beyond the expectations I'd have from what is also a video game universe. I'm still undecided on whether the mixed media is a success though. I hope the second volume builds on it's strengths.
Image Image

Killon56
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Killon56
Steam: Killon

Oct 18, '16, 5:48am

prototypetom wrote:^ nice, that's on my wish list, but after I read The Incal I think.

Have you read The Metabarons? Because that leads more into this than The Incal I think.
Galvatron \o/ PRAISE THE SUN \o/ Galvatron

Return to “Media”