LuketheGoon
Pure One
PSN: LuketheGoon
Steam: DrunkenGoon

Re: What are you reading right now?

Jan 21, '16, 10:24pm

Well I've actually got three books going right now.. First I've got William Gibson's Neuromancer.. This is the book that started the whole cyberpunk craze. It's pretty cool but a little confusing. Just bits of it are told in really weird fashion. Some of it reminded me of the jargon in Clockwork Orange.

I'm also reading The Martian by Andy Weir. This is really fantastic so far. I'm only 17% of my way through but it is a real page turner. As soon as I finish Neuromacer I'm going to finish this one next.

Lastly I'm reading Thus Spake Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche.. Kind of heavy stuff. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have read a lot of other philosophical works or are at least ready to for some real heavy duty reading.

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Jan 22, '16, 2:45am

I'm still reading Batman Arkham: The Riddlers Gambit. I fell out of reading for a while and this book is only an Ok read. I don't think Batman translates well into book form, as hearing his thoughts really ruins the experience. It only really worked when it was in Robins perspective that Batman was enjoyable.
► Show Spoiler

Mavryk
Management
Management

Jan 25, '16, 12:06am

Finished The Riddlers Gambit and my previous post stands true, though the final confrontation with the Riddler was better than any of the in-game ones. No Riddler Trophy hunting in this one.

Next book is Raymond E. Feists' Krondor: The Assassins. Slowly making my way through the Rift War cycle, it's a huge series (Book 14 out of 30 in the series).

► Show Spoiler

vitzpatel
Baller
PSN: vitz1985

What are you reading right now?

Jan 25, '16, 2:01am

I've just ordered this - can't wait for it to arrive. It's a bit pricey to have it shipped over to the UK (OI! portilloSexyGreg ) - about £17 in total, but fascinated to dive back into this world. I read the ICO novelisation - Castles in the Mist by Miyuki Miyabe a few years ago - and although it took some liberties with the plot, it was enjoyable.

I appreciate this is a different type of book, not so much a novelisation but more an examination of this game's impact on the industry etc - but I'll be hearing the Roar of the Earth score playing in my head when it arrives!

psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

LuketheGoon
Pure One
PSN: LuketheGoon
Steam: DrunkenGoon

Jan 25, '16, 12:32pm

Well I finished up Neuromancer.. That is one weird book. Plus the way it is written.. Just makes things a little more difficult. There are so many levels going on, The Matrix, the real world, the stimsim, the illusions that are cast. After awhile you start to lose all concept of what is really going and the surroundings. Still really solid though.. I had to read the summary on wikipedia to pick up some of the things that happened at the end. But still not bad.

I just finished The Martian today. That was a really amazing read but I kind of wish the ending had been a little more drawn out. I don't want to ruin it for anybody, but I expected more.

Now I'm reading Hugh Howey's Wool Omnibus. This one was recommended by a friend of mine. It also gets a lot of praise on other places that I frequent. So I'm looking forward to it. So far it's pretty good and I'm intrigued, so that's good.

Booster Gold
Pure One
XBL: Red Tornado93
PSN: GonzoTheGreat93

Jan 25, '16, 7:19pm

I just read through Fight Club for the first time. I'm not too sure what my take away is. I feel like it deserves another read. I did just start reading Supergods by Grant Morison and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's a great examination of superheroes throughout the years.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Feb 03, '16, 4:46am

Star Wars Heir to the Jedi

I'm trying to go in with an open mind seeing as people have their issues with this book, but I already have this disconnection with Luke. Also it's seems overly heavy with the direct references to A New Hope, which could have been done a lot more subtly.
► Show Spoiler

vitzpatel
Baller

What are you reading right now?

Feb 03, '16, 5:45am

Holy Dormin, Nick Suttner's, Shadow of the Colossus book is great!

With the lack of a PS4 port of the HD remaster, it's like playing through the game again, mixed with some interviews from Ueda-san and others from the games industry. If Shadow resonated with you - you'd definately enjoy this book. It's a pretty short book (especially at the speed I read!) but it's rich in detail of the journey to each colossus, the inspiration behind each beast and how the fight plays out.

It probably helps my I hear the soundtrack, Roar of the Earth in my head everytime I read this book - yes I am many different types of bonkers.

PortyDumb

Zach
Pure One
PSN: ZachR12

Feb 03, '16, 5:47am

I'm reading through the Harry Potter books....again....

Bill
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Feb 03, '16, 1:57pm

I just started reading the first Sherlock Holmes book so I could use the vernacular to prank a friend. Turns out it's a pretty good book

vitzpatel
Baller

Feb 04, '16, 2:01am

Zach wrote:I'm reading through the Harry Potter books....again....

10 points to Gryffindor!

When I first read them (at the tender age of 23 portilloSeducer) I used to read all seven (well ten including the three Jo King Rowling wrote to raise money for comic relief) every year. Although I found I haven't done so for a few years now, might be time to head back to Hogwarts!

Besides, my wife wants to watch the movies for the first time (before Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) comes out, and the movies change a few too many things for my liking - so I'll read the books again.

Zach
Pure One
PSN: ZachR12

Feb 04, '16, 3:50am

vitzpatel wrote:
Zach wrote:I'm reading through the Harry Potter books....again....

10 points to Gryffindor!

When I first read them (at the tender age of 23 portilloSeducer) I used to read all seven (well ten including the three Jo King Rowling wrote to raise money for comic relief) every year. Although I found I haven't done so for a few years now, might be time to head back to Hogwarts!

Besides, my wife wants to watch the movies for the first time (before Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them) comes out, and the movies change a few too many things for my liking - so I'll read the books again.

That sounds like a wonderful idea. I support this.

vitzpatel
Baller

Feb 04, '16, 7:34am

Zach wrote:That sounds like a wonderful idea. I support this.

Thanks!

:kinda

Edit: Just finished Shadow of the Colossus, was an amazing if not short read. Sadly I don't have an affinity with the other games in the Boss Fight Book library. Yes I paid over the odds for it to be shipped to the UK, but it was worth it.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Feb 14, '16, 5:29am

I finished Heir to the Jedi. I have to agree that the first POV really didn't work for the story, and it never really felt like the Luke we know from either New Hope or Empire.

Now I am onto:

► Show Spoiler

Novist
Unsung Hero

Feb 16, '16, 6:31pm

I started Thomas Pynchon's Vineland the other night. It's going to be disappointing, but it's one of the few books of his I haven't read.

Hellspont
Unsung Hero

Feb 16, '16, 8:45pm

I bought some of Peter F. Hamilton's books, I want to start reading Sci-Fi books since those seem the most interesting to me.
Reading Misspent Youth right now, then going to move on to Pandora's Star.

Schade
Best Friend
PSN: Cleaverman_

Feb 18, '16, 1:55pm

Check out my Indie Game Project 'Terra Gaia; A Bedtime Saga' - https://www.instagram.com/schadesoft/

why2bee
Pure One
PSN: why2bee

Feb 24, '16, 7:24am

After reading Ready Player One in about a day I moved on to Armada but it is not grabbing me in the same fashion just yet, but I am not very far into it.

Littleraven89
Shadow Boxer
PSN: Savagechild89

Feb 24, '16, 8:30am

Just bought a Kindle for the purpose of reading comics. Started reading the Sonic/Megaman crossover and love everything about it. It is awesome and stupid in the best possible way. It is just a fun mash up of 2 awesome characters and universes. I bought the entire 300 page run of it and have been tearing through it.

The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas

Feb 25, '16, 8:38am

Star Wars: Battlefront: Twilight Company
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

Return to “Media”