KaseyMichelle
Best Friend
PSN: kazmataz_

Re: What are you reading right now?

May 29, '16, 9:09am

Currently reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. The movie looks quite nice so I thought I'd give the book a whirl. It's been a few months since I picked up a book to read so I wanted something I knew would be quite a quick and easy read. Enjoying it so far.

I'm hoping to finish that in a few days then pick up The Fireman by Joe Hill. It sounds awesome! I haven't read anything by yet, not even Locke and Key so I'm really excited to start.

ashtrim
Best Friend
XBL: ashtrim
PSN: ashtrim
NNID: narshes
Steam: Ashtrim

May 29, '16, 2:46pm

The_Almighty_Foofy wrote:
Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy: Classic counterterrorism fiction revolving around the international counter-terror team Rainbow.

Love Rainbow Six, was actually my first Tom Clancy book

TheDarkKnight221
Producer
XBL: Darknight2211
PSN: alexmilton6

May 31, '16, 4:26pm

Go set a watchman.
I just started the book and have only read the first two chapters.
Playing: Call of Duty: Black Ops III, Civ V
Recently Completed: Bioshock: Infinite, Uncharted 4, Black Ops 3 (Campaign)
Feel free to add me on PSN or XBL

AtSwimTwoBirds
Best Friend
PSN: AtSwimTwoBirds

Jun 01, '16, 7:34am

Novist wrote:Finished Naked Lunch a few weeks ago and read Dennis Cooper's Closer and Frisk. I'm now taking a break from the George Miles Cycle with William H Gass's Omensetter's Luck

Omensetter's Luck is a masterpiece. Sad how easily plot slips from memory, but the style of that book, if I recall correctly, compliments character insofar as it muddles the role the narrator takes on. That's not to suggest that late modernism tires out the whole double take on perspective in this case. I'd be interested in how it sits with you in time, once you digest it thoroughly.

Naked Lunch turned me off from the get-go. I'm all for some drug induced experimental shenanigans but midway through the book one wonders if it's merely a world unto itself, with it's own secret language privy to the author.

At the moment I'm preparing to tackle Mason & Dixon. Any fans here of Pynchon?

The_Almighty_Foofy
Shadow Boxer
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
Steam: atomic_pingas

Jun 01, '16, 9:22am

Gundam Wing: Glory of the Losers

A manga adaptation of the series that retells portions of the story, expands on side stories and uses the original redesigns of the Gundams and their weapons.
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

Novist
Unsung Hero

Jun 02, '16, 1:00pm

AtSwimTwoBirds wrote:
Novist wrote:Finished Naked Lunch a few weeks ago and read Dennis Cooper's Closer and Frisk. I'm now taking a break from the George Miles Cycle with William H Gass's Omensetter's Luck

Omensetter's Luck is a masterpiece. Sad how easily plot slips from memory, but the style of that book, if I recall correctly, compliments character insofar as it muddles the role the narrator takes on. That's not to suggest that late modernism tires out the whole double take on perspective in this case. I'd be interested in how it sits with you in time, once you digest it thoroughly.

Naked Lunch turned me off from the get-go. I'm all for some drug induced experimental shenanigans but midway through the book one wonders if it's merely a world unto itself, with it's own secret language privy to the author.

At the moment I'm preparing to tackle Mason & Dixon. Any fans here of Pynchon?

I gave up on Omensetter's a few months ago. For all of Gass's weirdness and idiosyncratic and impressive writing I just couldn't force it down. Maybe I'll try again in the near future, but I haven't been able to finish anything of his other than In the Heart...

Yeah, Naked Lunch is one of those books you just kind have to read and get out of the way. Burroughs is often more interesting to talk about than read.

I'm pretty big on Pynchon (I might be responsible for the majority of what's on the Pynchon Wiki's V pages) but not a fan of M&D.

Edit: About to finish Going Native by Stephen Wright. Very disappointed in this one. Coover's picks seem to all be the same kinds of misses for me. Not sure what I'll start after Wright.

AtSwimTwoBirds
Best Friend
PSN: AtSwimTwoBirds

What are you reading right now?

Jun 04, '16, 1:17pm

I've just begun to sink my teeth into Mason & Dixon and while I'm not as blown away with it as I was with Gravity's Rainbow, I find it surprisingly readable. There are few passages here and there that would benefit from a stroke of clarity but, Thomas will be Thomas.

robduto
Pure One
Position/Title: Writer
PSN: robduto

Jun 18, '16, 11:26am

I'm almost halfway done with Hollow City, by Ransom Riggs. It's great so far! but I don't think I enjoy it as much as Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. That one's a must read. I'll keep you guys updated with my thoughts as I finish it up. Can't wait for the movie, either!

Novist
Unsung Hero

Jun 18, '16, 2:55pm

I was underwhelmed with Stephen Wright's Going Native but I finished it. In the past few weeks I've read Seeing Red by Lina Meruane, Dream Fossil by Satoshi Kon and Voroshilovgrad by Serhiy Zhadan. None of them are much to write home about. Dream Fossil especially confirmed for me that no one in Japan seems to know how to write a single line without some awkwardness.

I'd never read a Ukrainian novel before and Voroshilovgrad was fun in places but so little of it really seemed to connect the dots it set forth. The strange images and ideas seemed to be gimmicks more than anything that might complicate the text's sparse ideas.

I also read Everyman by Philip Roth which was...another Roth novel. The dude can write and immediately I notice the correlations he scatters about in a little over 100 pages, but nothing here blew my mind. I like a Roth novel every now and then, but none of the ones I've read (Portnoy, Sabbath's Theater, and The Plot Against America) have been incredible.

I'm currently flying through Denis Johnson's latest, The Laughing Monsters. Enjoying it so far even if there isn't enough complication with the deception going on throughout the novel. I'm still not sure if I'm going to try reading Tree of Smoke this summer or if I'll try my hand at some of those Knausgaard volumes everyone raves about.

BuffArms
Shadow Boxer

Jun 19, '16, 6:21pm

Finally got into Wheel of Time. Been enjoying it a lot so far. In the 3rd book now. Solid characters, interesting male/female driven magic, and fate angle. The thing that strikes me the most is how much Dragon Age ripped off from it. Its like every 10 pages I come across something else that Dragon Age stole.

I am also reading it with Kindle and the Audible voice over, and its really quite cool, I cast my smartphone onto my TV at night and I read along on the screen while I listen to it, and the voice actors do a pretty good job. Its replaced watching TV as my pre-sleep ritual.

The_Almighty_Foofy
Shadow Boxer
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
Steam: atomic_pingas

Jun 20, '16, 8:06am

I'm splitting my time between rereading Sex Criminals and starting Eden: It's an Endless World.

Sex Criminals is great mature look at sex with a comedic flair.

Eden is a manga dealing with a post pandemic Earth in the midst of conflict and how one young boy is embroiled in it all. Very brutal manga dealing with violence, religion, sex, drugs, ethnic conflict, and discrimination.
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

Mir-88
Pure One

Jun 20, '16, 10:33am

Console Wars by Blake J. Harris, great book about the early days of Sega of America/Nintendo of America and their conquest of the North American market. I'm only some 50 pages in but I really enjoy it so far.

Also, The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons. It's basically NBA for dummies and written in a way that even people who aren't into basketball can find it amusing.

vitzpatel
Shadow Boxer
PSN: vitz1985

Aug 01, '16, 7:51am

KaseyMichelle wrote:Currently reading Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. The movie looks quite nice so I thought I'd give the book a whirl. It's been a few months since I picked up a book to read so I wanted something I knew would be quite a quick and easy read. Enjoying it so far.

I'm hoping to finish that in a few days then pick up The Fireman by Joe Hill. It sounds awesome! I haven't read anything by yet, not even Locke and Key so I'm really excited to start.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. My wife read the book before she saw the movie - which fell a bit short due to some plot omissions (common in most adaptation). Are you planning on picking up the next book too?

I pre-ordered the Harry Potter and Cursed Child script on Amazon for £10, it arrived yesterday but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Will report back!
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

DormStreams
Pure One
PSN: paratan21
Steam: paratan21

Aug 02, '16, 11:35pm

Going back and forth right now between Console Wars (as per the recommendation of Colin) and Draplin Design Company's "Pretty Much Everything" because I'm a huge graphic design nerd. Also plan on reading through Southern Bastards Vol. 2 sometime soon. Avoided reading through it in issue format just to read it comprehensively.
twiiter: @DormStreams (Gaming) & @tannerbchaney (personal)
twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/dormstreams

Ponthegan
Pure One

Aug 02, '16, 11:59pm

LaurenceAllen wrote:Currently reading Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs book.

Real good read so far if you're interested in Jobs or business in general.

Incidentally, I just finished reading that book. I don't know how far you are into it, but it remains great throughout. I moved on to Johnny Ive by Leander Kahney (of Cult of Mac fame), and it's a followup to the Steve Job's Biography. It parallels it in many ways and criss-cross, and flesh out, key fixtures in Apple's history from alternate perspectives. I recommend it greatly, especially if you're enjoying Walter Issacson's book.

Also. if you haven't seen it, the steve jobs movie with Michael Fassbender is equally fantastic and I believe the screenplay is co-written/creatively adapted by/from Walter Issacson as well.

Hamood07
Unsung Hero
XBL: MKQ2010
PSN: Hamood07

Aug 04, '16, 1:28am

I finished "The Invasion of The Tearling" I thought it was a great read but it just raised more question than it answered and now I can't wait for the 3rd book

I just started reading " Harry Potter and the Cursed Child", I am a huge Harry Potter fan so this is like Christmas to me. I love seeing how their lives turned out and the story so far is really good. It is worth mentioning it is a script not really a book so it is a fast read and doesn't have JK Rowling amazing style of writing but I don't really care sice I get to be in that world with Harry, Ron and Hermione again.
Last edited by Hamood07 on Aug 04, '16, 1:35am, edited 1 time in total.

vitzpatel
Shadow Boxer
PSN: vitz1985

Aug 04, '16, 1:32am

So finished Harry Potter and the Cursed Child in two days, well two nights really. It's been a long time since I read 260 pages in a single night, but it only happens when I really get sucked into the experience. Ready Player One, The Martian and Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Book Store had a similar effect.

Thought it was good overall, although it took some liberties that didn't quite sit right with me. It felt strongest when you're with the original trio (Harry, Ron and Hermoine) as you have thousands of pages of context for who they are and their motivations. As it's effectively the screenplay, it's an easy read as it's just speech with little to zero text providing additional context, inflection, description. It leaves all that up to the reader.

Still, for fans of the books it's a bit of a must read. Plus a Jo King Rowling has stated it's the final chapter of the Harry Potter saga, you owe it to yourself to escape this world of muggles one last time.
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

Aug 04, '16, 6:39am

The Kinda Funny Forums portilloKevin

Lord-Gazza42
Best Friend
Position/Title: Freelance Writer for MFR

Aug 05, '16, 6:17am

Currently reading Ready Player One. Phenomenal book. Looking to read some non-fiction history/politics stuff if any one has any suggestions?
"What's your least favourite country? France or Italy?"
"France."
"Ha ha, no one ever says Italy."

Hughes_man
Portillo's Mouth Noises
Position/Title: NA
PSN: Hughes_man

Aug 05, '16, 8:46am

Rereading the Magicians Trilogy by Lev Grossman. Dark at times but really good for adults that were fans of Narnia and Harry Potter.
"My friends are my power!"

- Sora of Kingdom Hearts (prophesying the age of the Kinda Funny Best Friends)