Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Re: What are you reading right now?

Oct 25, '16, 4:16pm

H.P. Lovecraft: Tales - The Statement of Randolph Carter - A simple short story that gets its job done.

Been reading one of his short stories once a day for the month of October. The man's defiantly a word smith.
Why is the Hershey factory so close to the hot pocket?

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Oct 30, '16, 4:39am

Currently reading: Assassins Creed Underworld.
► Show Spoiler

Hamood07
Unsung Hero
XBL: MKQ2010
PSN: Hamood07

Nov 05, '16, 11:42pm

Just read Eldest : the inheritance cycle. This is the 2nd book of the series and I liked it more than the original. It has some great twists and I liked the growth of the main Character. Anyone else read this book before ?

Eve Narlieth
Baller
PSN: gabieve

Nov 06, '16, 2:22am

Just finished The end of Eternity, by Isaac Asimov. I didn't think it was the most polished thing, but I loved the link to the Foundation series. Was worth it in the end. Made me feel like reading Foundation again

eggsaladbob
Best Friend

Nov 07, '16, 9:22am

Eve Narlieth wrote:Just finished The end of Eternity, by Isaac Asimov. I didn't think it was the most polished thing, but I loved the link to the Foundation series. Was worth it in the end. Made me feel like reading Foundation again

Is Foundation a good place to start with Asimov? I picked up some cool-looking old copies of the series, but I feel like I should read some of his short stories or something first. Maybe the I, Robot collection?

Eve Narlieth
Baller

Nov 07, '16, 10:10am

eggsaladbob wrote:
Eve Narlieth wrote:Just finished The end of Eternity, by Isaac Asimov. I didn't think it was the most polished thing, but I loved the link to the Foundation series. Was worth it in the end. Made me feel like reading Foundation again

Is Foundation a good place to start with Asimov? I picked up some cool-looking old copies of the series, but I feel like I should read some of his short stories or something first. Maybe the I, Robot collection?

Hey :) I started with Foundation and thought it was easy to understand the universe. I actually read the short story Nightfall a year before that, and can also recommend it. It's unrelated to Foundation, but it's a nice introduction to his writing. I found this pdf: https://www.uni.edu/morgans/astro/course/nightfall.pdf Maybe you can read a page or so of that, and buy the short story if you like it. It's a good example of the pacing of his books.

Regarding the robot collection, which starts with Caverns of Steel if I'm not mistaken, it's a different type of book in my opinion. The science fiction elements are different, and I thought the writing was too. In Foundation I was blown back by the sci fi elements he created, it's when he shines regarding thinking out of the box. In the robot collection you don't get that feeling as much, from my experience, just because it's been done so many times after him.

You could do Nightfall > Foundation like I did, it will be a nice way into his writing :)

eggsaladbob
Best Friend

Nov 07, '16, 2:21pm

Eve Narlieth wrote:
eggsaladbob wrote:

Hey :) I started with Foundation and thought it was easy to understand the universe. I actually read the short story Nightfall a year before that, and can also recommend it. It's unrelated to Foundation, but it's a nice introduction to his writing. I found this pdf: https://www.uni.edu/morgans/astro/course/nightfall.pdf Maybe you can read a page or so of that, and buy the short story if you like it. It's a good example of the pacing of his books.

Regarding the robot collection, which starts with Caverns of Steel if I'm not mistaken, it's a different type of book in my opinion. The science fiction elements are different, and I thought the writing was too. In Foundation I was blown back by the sci fi elements he created, it's when he shines regarding thinking out of the box. In the robot collection you don't get that feeling as much, from my experience, just because it's been done so many times after him.

You could do Nightfall > Foundation like I did, it will be a nice way into his writing :)

Cool, thanks for the suggestion!

To stay on track with the thread, I just picked up As I Lay Dying by Faulkner. I've not read anything by him before and I'm only about fifteen pages in. I mostly picked it up because I'm a huge fan of Cormac McCarthy and I kept hearing lots of comparisons. So far, Faulkner doesn't write as sparsely as McCarthy does, but I do see a bit of similarity in that both writers seem to share a southern, dirty vibe.

I also picked up this book because, for whatever reason, I always get Faulkner and Hemingway mixed up in my head, having not read anything by either of them. So, after I finish As I Lay Dying, I'm going to shoot for The Old Man and the Sea.

JJGee
Baller
PSN: Night-MareW
Steam: JJGee

Nov 09, '16, 3:52am

I just recently started re-reading R.A. Salvatore's Forgotten Realms books in chronological order. I haven't read a bunch of the latest ones, so I figured it might be fun to start from the beginning and work my way towards the new ones.

I'm currently at book number 13 in the order I'm reading them in, which is The Fallen Fortress, book 4 of 5 in the Cleric Quintet series.

Borra
Best Friend

What are you reading right now?

Nov 29, '16, 2:55pm

I'm currently reading through the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I've read several of the books multiple times as each time a new novel came out I'd restart the series. That was fine when there were 3 or 4 books. Once it gets to 8, 9, 10 and finally when it finished with 14 books!

I'm currently halfway through book 10 and keen to hopefully finish the series for the first time this year.

BluenoseGames
Producer
XBL: BluenoseGames
PSN: BluenoseGames

Dec 27, '16, 2:05pm

20 Years of Tomb Raider: Digging Up The Past, Defining The Future .
"Why doesn't everyone just wear Iron Man Suits" - Colin 2016

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Dec 27, '16, 3:23pm

Some new books on the docket:
-Settle for More
-Anxiety as an Ally
-The Nix

Eve Narlieth
Baller

Dec 27, '16, 3:38pm

Reading The robots of Dawn by Isaac Asimov. Man, this trilogy went completely down hill in the last book. Horrible writing. But I'll stick with it. I'm still curious about the crime solving part.

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Jan 02, '17, 4:57am

I'm going through the novelization of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, written by Alexander Freed. There are a bit more (and slightly different) scenes from the movie, giving more focus on Jyn and other characters... And, well, it's different. Gotta reserve judgement, until it's finished, tho.

Mir-88
Pure One

Jan 07, '17, 11:08am

I wanted a good road trip book so I got myself Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon. A book where the author tells his story about traveling around rural America in the late 70's, meeting people along the way. Seems good so far.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Jan 21, '17, 10:22am

Finally got around to finishing "Settle For More," Megyn Kelly's autobiography of sorts about her life and how she got to the place where she is now. It was a fascinating read with a lot of inside stories about her early life, her law career, and her dealings and feuds with Donald Trump and Roger Ailes, the former CEO of Fox News. It was a page turner from start to finish and I've definitely gained a greater respect for her after reading it. Definitely worth a read.

Eve Narlieth
Baller

Jan 22, '17, 11:57pm

Finished reading The Princess diarist by Carrie Fischer (it was sad, I bought the book a few days before she passed away), and I'm now reading Persepolis and The Princess Bride

I didn't know what to expect from the Princess Bride, since I haven't seen the movie, and it's quite funny. I got it for xmas. Next thing will be to watch the movie

marilynmoss
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Jan 25, '17, 11:27pm

Actually I'm interested in dream interpretations so I'm reading a really interesting and correct dreambook which is free and on-line. http://www.free-dream-book.info/ If you want you can check ;)

gooseysoucy
Shadow Boxer
XBL: gooseysoucy

Feb 01, '17, 2:40pm

Silence by Shusaku Endo
and Karsh: A Fifty-Year Retrospective

The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas

Feb 02, '17, 8:37am

Welcome to Deadland by Zachary Linville
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

Ponthegan
Pure One
Steam: Ponthegan

Feb 06, '17, 5:52pm

Metro 2033! Finally got the novel.

Return to “Media”