User avatar
Lenny21088
Pure One
Posts: 39
Joined: May 26, '15, 1:45am
Location: Birmingham UK
Contact: Website

Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 07, '16, 11:45am

So, I can't find this topic anywhere on the literature page so I thought I'd make one.

Being slightly dyslexic I struggle reading as a small book can literally take me days. But after getting this book in one of the Loot Crate drops a while ago, and hearing all the hype about it and the inevitable film adaptation, I figured I would give it a shot.

I think this book cured me of dyslexia.

Just going to put that statement out there. I couldn't put this book down, even when I was working or out with friends all I wanted to do was discuss the book or be constantly wandering what was going to happen next. Did anyone have this same effect?

The book made me want to spend more time with friends/people that I share the same interests with (hence posting on this site) and can basically just geek out with. Since reading all I can think about are the vast amounts of 80's/90's pop culture referenced throughout the book, while simultaneously trying to figure out a time and way to consume it all. I surely can't be the only one bitten by a nostalgia bug from this, can I? I really hope that he writes a companion book to go along side this, I want him to write Anorak's Almanac.

What did you guys think?
Image


“I always feel happy, you know why? Because I don’t expect anything from anyone. Expectations always hurt. Life is short, so love your life, be happy and keep smiling.”

William Shakespeare

User avatar
Ravelle
Pure One
Posts: 68
Joined: Jul 28, '15, 12:27pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact: Website Skype Twitter Twitch

Re: Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 08, '16, 1:16pm

RPO was a weird one.

The first part of the book was hard to get in to because it never stopped shoving obscure video game references in to your face, it felt a bit of trying to hard to feel retro but it got better as it went a long, I loved the characters and the whole race to the end game.

A lot of people mentioned it wasn't written very well and the writing style was quite stiff but I didn't notice it while I was reading, the story was interesting enough to not notice the writing style.
Image
Steam: Ravelle | PSN Voltburn | Origin: xRavelle

User avatar
fortyfive33
Pure One
Posts: 29
Joined: Jul 07, '16, 10:38am
Location: Columbia, MO
XBL: fortyfive33
Steam: fortyfive33
Contact: Twitter

Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 08, '16, 4:07pm

RPO is my favorite book.

I actually got to interview Mr. Cline once. Nice guy.

User avatar
Mavryk
Management
Management
Posts: 4979
Joined: May 16, '15, 10:34pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven
Contact: Twitter

Re: Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 09, '16, 12:38am

No I totally understand. I too got RPO from lootcrate (last year I think), and once I started I had troubles putting it down because it was so good. Armada, his next book, was also great but not quite on the same level (it had pacing issues).
Image
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
vitzpatel
Baller
Posts: 1065
Joined: May 19, '15, 2:16am
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
PSN: vitz1985
Contact: Twitter

Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 09, '16, 5:28am

I loved Ready Player One. Like you guys, I struggled to put this book down, I had to know what happened.

I agree that the obscure references are a overbearing and constant, but I wish I could experience that book again for the first time.

I wish Armada didn't have pacing issues, felt so rushed towards the end. I hope Cline's next book can learn from the misteps which stopped Armada being a must-read.
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

User avatar
The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
Posts: 1008
Joined: Jun 04, '15, 3:24pm
Location: Temple Hills, MD
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas
Contact: Facebook Twitter Twitch

Re: Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 09, '16, 6:35am

Ravelle wrote:RPO was a weird one.

The first part of the book was hard to get in to because it never stopped shoving obscure video game references in to your face, it felt a bit of trying to hard to feel retro but it got better as it went a long, I loved the characters and the whole race to the end game.

A lot of people mentioned it wasn't written very well and the writing style was quite stiff but I didn't notice it while I was reading, the story was interesting enough to not notice the writing style.



Agreed. RPO was interesting in concept but could have been executed better. Ernest Cline, for all his good intentions, kinda goes overboard with the references to geek pop culture. At times it felt a bit like reading an episode of Family Guy dedicated to just references to 80s games, scifi, and nerd/geek culture. It felt forced at times instead of flowing naturally. I dealt with it for RPO but I couldnt get through Armada when I found it it was doing more of the same references.
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"
Image

User avatar
Chaz
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 2206
Joined: Jun 23, '15, 6:19am
Location: Cartersville, VA
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 09, '16, 6:41am

Someone sent me this book last year during our christmas secret santa. I still haven't read it yet. I probably should read it I just dont like holding books. It feels too much like im back in school haha
Image

User avatar
Lenny21088
Pure One
Posts: 39
Joined: May 26, '15, 1:45am
Location: Birmingham UK
Contact: Website

Re: Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 12, '16, 9:32am

The_Almighty_Foofy wrote:
Ravelle wrote:RPO was a weird one.

The first part of the book was hard to get in to because it never stopped shoving obscure video game references in to your face, it felt a bit of trying to hard to feel retro but it got better as it went a long, I loved the characters and the whole race to the end game.

A lot of people mentioned it wasn't written very well and the writing style was quite stiff but I didn't notice it while I was reading, the story was interesting enough to not notice the writing style.



Agreed. RPO was interesting in concept but could have been executed better. Ernest Cline, for all his good intentions, kinda goes overboard with the references to geek pop culture. At times it felt a bit like reading an episode of Family Guy dedicated to just references to 80s games, scifi, and nerd/geek culture. It felt forced at times instead of flowing naturally. I dealt with it for RPO but I couldnt get through Armada when I found it it was doing more of the same references.



I can see where you both are coming from, especially some of the 80's Japanese and some American references I didn't understand at all and had to quickly look up. Bu I would definitely like to reread it again.
Image


“I always feel happy, you know why? Because I don’t expect anything from anyone. Expectations always hurt. Life is short, so love your life, be happy and keep smiling.”

William Shakespeare

sjce
Best Friend
Posts: 16
Joined: Jul 04, '15, 7:06pm

Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 13, '16, 1:14pm

I read RPO really quickly, but when I got to the end I didn't feel satisfied. I think it's because a lot of the ending doesn't feel earned to me and the heavy referential material didn't really enamor me to it. I love referential humour, but a lot of the references in RPO, atleast to me, feel more like references for the sake of references, rather than developing an emotional connection between my real life interests and the things in the book. It just kind of feels soulless to me.

User avatar
JonoHimself
Pure One
Posts: 95
Joined: Aug 14, '16, 3:01pm
Position/Title: Author/epic dude
Location: Australia
PSN: Jono-himself
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Re: Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 18, '16, 6:26pm

I've only read a sample of RPO but like a few of you, I felt as if the geek references were shoved down my throat. It's like "I get it, you have geek cred. Carry on with the story!" It was a good lesson for me as it's something I've now wary of with my own writing. I've tried to sprinkle references in context rather than straight up drop a bag of them on the table.

Anyways, I might revisit the novel at some point, maybe if the movie turns out to be incredible.
Image
Check out my novel!
Publishizer campaign (pre-order your copy) - https://publishizer.com/the-spy-and-the-maven
Like the FB page - http://www.facebook.com/thespyandthemaven
Watch the trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hnhdA8aKV4

User avatar
JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
Posts: 2370
Joined: May 18, '15, 11:24am

Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 18, '16, 11:27pm

It's a good book...but has some pacing issues

There were some badass parts like when the bad guys crashed the party and the end was cool too.....but felt like it dragged on at some points...but overall I'm excited about the movie and hope it does the book justice

User avatar
JonoHimself
Pure One
Posts: 95
Joined: Aug 14, '16, 3:01pm
Position/Title: Author/epic dude
Location: Australia
PSN: Jono-himself
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Re: Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 21, '16, 8:55pm

Stuff like this just puts me way off. It's so cringe.

Image

Image
Image
Check out my novel!
Publishizer campaign (pre-order your copy) - https://publishizer.com/the-spy-and-the-maven
Like the FB page - http://www.facebook.com/thespyandthemaven
Watch the trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hnhdA8aKV4

User avatar
Mavryk
Management
Management
Posts: 4979
Joined: May 16, '15, 10:34pm
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven
Contact: Twitter

Re: Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 24, '16, 5:47am

JonoHimself wrote:Stuff like this just puts me way off. It's so cringe.


I can see why you feel that way, but for me I see it a novelty. A book where the characters openly like some of the nerdy things I do. If there were 100 books all doing the same thing I don't think I would like it at all, but this one Pop culture centric story is enjoyable.
Image
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
JonoHimself
Pure One
Posts: 95
Joined: Aug 14, '16, 3:01pm
Position/Title: Author/epic dude
Location: Australia
PSN: Jono-himself
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Re: Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 24, '16, 3:27pm

Mavryk wrote:
JonoHimself wrote:Stuff like this just puts me way off. It's so cringe.


I can see why you feel that way, but for me I see it a novelty. A book where the characters openly like some of the nerdy things I do. If there were 100 books all doing the same thing I don't think I would like it at all, but this one Pop culture centric story is enjoyable.


Yeah I understand that. It's a novelty. I'm probably hyper critical because I've just written a novel and tried to get that kind of stuff in there with subtlety, instead of just "Here's a list of every geeky thing I can think of".
Image
Check out my novel!
Publishizer campaign (pre-order your copy) - https://publishizer.com/the-spy-and-the-maven
Like the FB page - http://www.facebook.com/thespyandthemaven
Watch the trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hnhdA8aKV4

User avatar
Sol
Best Friend
Posts: 10
Joined: Aug 27, '16, 1:09pm
Location: Calgary
PSN: Justination

Re: Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 27, '16, 5:59pm

JonoHimself wrote:
Mavryk wrote:
JonoHimself wrote:Stuff like this just puts me way off. It's so cringe.


I can see why you feel that way, but for me I see it a novelty. A book where the characters openly like some of the nerdy things I do. If there were 100 books all doing the same thing I don't think I would like it at all, but this one Pop culture centric story is enjoyable.


Yeah I understand that. It's a novelty. I'm probably hyper critical because I've just written a novel and tried to get that kind of stuff in there with subtlety, instead of just "Here's a list of every geeky thing I can think of".


I'd have to side with Jono on this one... I think there could have been a way for Ernest Cline to make a lot of his references more subtly but he always just pushes it right in your face.

" LOOK NERD REFERENCE!!! "

It just came off as pandering to me...



That being said. The whole idea off having a hidden code in the book which led to a website and had you complete an atari style game in order to be entered in a contest to win a DeLorean was a pretty damn cool idea.
Image
There exists no separation between gods and men: one blends softly casual into the other.

- Proverbs of Muad'Dib

User avatar
JonoHimself
Pure One
Posts: 95
Joined: Aug 14, '16, 3:01pm
Position/Title: Author/epic dude
Location: Australia
PSN: Jono-himself
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter

Re: Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Aug 28, '16, 10:56pm

Sol wrote:
JonoHimself wrote:
Mavryk wrote:
I can see why you feel that way, but for me I see it a novelty. A book where the characters openly like some of the nerdy things I do. If there were 100 books all doing the same thing I don't think I would like it at all, but this one Pop culture centric story is enjoyable.


Yeah I understand that. It's a novelty. I'm probably hyper critical because I've just written a novel and tried to get that kind of stuff in there with subtlety, instead of just "Here's a list of every geeky thing I can think of".


I'd have to side with Jono on this one... I think there could have been a way for Ernest Cline to make a lot of his references more subtly but he always just pushes it right in your face.

" LOOK NERD REFERENCE!!! "

It just came off as pandering to me...



That being said. The whole idea off having a hidden code in the book which led to a website and had you complete an atari style game in order to be entered in a contest to win a DeLorean was a pretty damn cool idea.



Yep. One of the fundamental rules of writing is "Show, don't tell." Instead of saying "he was mad" you say "he kicked the door in frustration."

To me, this applies the same way to establishing nerd cred, or any kind of cred.

Imagine the TV shows Chuck (I love it), or even Big Bang Theory (I hate it), as novels.

The dialogue, setting descriptions and character actions would tell you about the characters' interests, instead of just listing a dozen nerdy things.

This writer is basically casting a wide enough net that someone will geek out over at least one of them.

I'm glad people like this book, I'm not saying you shouldn't. I just know it has infuriated a lot of people and I don't want to be one of them.

I also respect that Ready Player One has got a lot of people reading who wouldn't ordinarily be getting into fiction. That's definitely one of my goals as a writer and it's cool to have people tell me "I haven't read a book in five years but I'm keen to check out yours.
Image
Check out my novel!
Publishizer campaign (pre-order your copy) - https://publishizer.com/the-spy-and-the-maven
Like the FB page - http://www.facebook.com/thespyandthemaven
Watch the trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hnhdA8aKV4

delmetema
Portillo's Mouth Noises
Posts: 3
Joined: Oct 01, '16, 8:07am
Position/Title: СТАЛЬНЫЕ ДВЕРИ
Location: Morocco
XBL: H O M OC IDE
PSN: Silver soulja
Steam: delmeticbPY
Contact: Website ICQ Skype Twitch

Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Nov 13, '16, 9:17am

it was late January before i figured out how to work these one sentence stories, however by then no one was reading them other than you, so i asked if you wanted to play.

User avatar
Eve Narlieth
Baller
Posts: 1068
Joined: May 26, '15, 10:16am
Location: UK
PSN: gabieve

Re: Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Jan 24, '17, 12:05am

I'm listening to this as an audiobook because I have a lot of time at work to listen to podcasts/audiobooks. I've just finished chapter one (around 50min) and I dislike the main character. As someone who had to put up with relationships with people who have bad characteristic of nerdy/introverted/socially anxious people, my patience for it nowadays is zero. The character's angry/snob atheism annoys me, his thoughts about the misery of life are uninteresting and don't feel new.

I understand this is a distopian universe where he has a shitty life, but because of the medium writing (I hate how condescending "mediocre" sounds), it just sounds like an angsty nerdy kid who hates the world because he has less social success than everyone around him. I know I sound mean, but I've put up with enough in previous relationships and now I have no patience for it. I think if the writing was a bit better, the character wouldn't annoy me as much. But when someone is super smug and proud of being atheist, they just sound immature as hell.

JonoHimself wrote:
Mavryk wrote:
JonoHimself wrote:Stuff like this just puts me way off. It's so cringe.


I can see why you feel that way, but for me I see it a novelty. A book where the characters openly like some of the nerdy things I do. If there were 100 books all doing the same thing I don't think I would like it at all, but this one Pop culture centric story is enjoyable.


Yeah I understand that. It's a novelty. I'm probably hyper critical because I've just written a novel and tried to get that kind of stuff in there with subtlety, instead of just "Here's a list of every geeky thing I can think of".


No you're not being hyper critical (or we both are). I think the references feel forced and, like mentioned before, pandering. If it doesn't add to the book, don't put it in. If a specific movie or book has such an impact in a character as to change his behaviour, then mention it. But in that case you would need a lot more than just a quick name/author reference.
Image

User avatar
Eve Narlieth
Baller
Posts: 1068
Joined: May 26, '15, 10:16am
Location: UK
PSN: gabieve

Re: Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Jan 25, '17, 12:53am

Update: wow, the more I listen to it, the worst it gets. If I ever wondered what a half an hour geek pissing contest between 13yo teenage boys looked like, this book got me covered.

News flash, I didn't want to know. Sorry about being mean, but this is annoying me.
Image

User avatar
Selfox
Producer
Posts: 313
Joined: Jul 08, '15, 3:39pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario
PSN: selkies24
NNID: selkies24
Steam: selkies24
Contact: Google+ Twitter YouTube Twitch

Re: Ready Player One By Ernest Cline

Jan 27, '17, 1:11pm

JonoHimself wrote:Stuff like this just puts me way off. It's so cringe.

Image


i have a hard time reading books so i think all the nerd references as obvious as they are might be a good gateway for me. Im gonna give the sample a shot on amazon and see how it feel

he already lost a little bit of cred however when he says (from kingdom of crystal skull and onward.) Um...there were no other movies that was the last one? haha portilloSexyGreg

Return to “Media”