Atherton291
Best Friend
XBL: ATHERTON291
PSN: t-j-h-j_s-h-a
Steam: Mr-Atherton

What's the best book you've read recently?

Oct 15, '16, 1:43pm

Hi guys, the reason I ask is that I'm looking for a new book to read, last one I read was revolution by Russell Brand, and just want some ideas, was thinking about reading the Harry Potter series but not sure, any suggestion welcome

II GTA FREEK II
Shadow Boxer
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

Nov 13, '16, 3:03am

Books are a hard thing for me to recommend. I just assume nobody would like any of the stuff I've read.

I'm not sure what all you're open to. If you were open to any young adult series I would recommend The Maze Runner series and a lesser known series called The Chaos walking series. Pretty much base your opinion on those from the Hunger Games books. If you liked/disliked those then you'll probably feel the same about these. Although these have male protagonists instead of female. Not sure if that would matter to you. I myself prefer reading from a males perspective. Not that a females perspective is bad. It's just easier to relate for me.

If you're looking for something more adult, the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo books are a personal favorite of mine.

And something a bit different from any of those would be The Martian. This book is great for those who love sci-fi and comedy.

I'm not a huge reader and I only read fiction. These are just some of the few series and books I've read and thoroughly enjoyed.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Re: What's the best book you've read recently?

Nov 13, '16, 11:01pm

The Martian and Ready Player One are the two books that I have really enjoyed recently beyond long running series.
► Show Spoiler

The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas

Nov 14, '16, 5:30am

They were a bit short but I enjoyed Skyborn and Heroine Complex. Skyborn because of its interesting concept of floating continents and two siblings that join their country's army which consists of soldiers that fly using bird wing backpacks and fight with swords and gauntlets that shoot magic based on several elements like fire, water, rock, etc. Its tthe first book in a trilogy whose second entry is coming out this fall I think.

Heroine Complex was interesting because it was a superhero story that revolved around the hero's best friend who acted as her assistant behind the scenes and how she slowly becomes a hero herself. It was especially interesting because both the hero and her friend are Asian-American women and the book frequently explores (and sometimes pokes fun at) the Asian culture they grew up in and how it shaped them as individuals. It was a fresh perspective I hadn't experienced before and I won't lie, I vibed with it.
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

vitzpatel
Baller
PSN: vitz1985

Nov 14, '16, 8:52am

Mavryk wrote:The Martian and Ready Player One are the two books that I have really enjoyed recently beyond long running series.

I would echo these recommendations and add Mr Penumbra's 24 Bookstore by Robin Sloan, it's in a similar vein to Ready Player One as much as I couldn't put it down.

Also, read the Harry Potter books, I had recently re-read them and still found them brilliant.
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

vector
Pure One
PSN: b_like_mike

Nov 17, '16, 8:28pm

I just finished Boot by William Dunn for the second time and that book is awesome if you're in for a realistic take on police work. I also read The Martian somewhat recently and loved it, it was one of those books that I couldn't bear to put down. Also, finishing up the last few books of The Odyssey. It's not for everyone, not even close but if your a lit geek you've probably already read it and hopefully can attest.

ProfessorXavier
Pure One
PSN: fiddycent

Nov 18, '16, 12:13am

I recently read Lost Stars by Claudia Gray and loved it. The best way I can describe this book without spoiling too much is that it's a fresh take on Romeo and Juliet set in the Star Wars universe. I don't think you really even need to be a Star Wars fan to enjoy this book. That being said, if you are a big Star Wars fan you'll love this book even more.

BetoJR
Producer
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Jan 02, '17, 4:54am

ProfessorXavier wrote:I recently read Lost Stars by Claudia Gray and loved it. The best way I can describe this book without spoiling too much is that it's a fresh take on Romeo and Juliet set in the Star Wars universe. I don't think you really even need to be a Star Wars fan to enjoy this book. That being said, if you are a big Star Wars fan you'll love this book even more.

Oh God, I cannot recommend this book enough, as well. No established characters, either - other than small cameos. That's very important. So, so good!

ProfessorXavier
Pure One

Jan 09, '17, 4:41pm

Finally finished reading Marvel Comics The Untold Story. Great novel. Crazy how long Stan Lee had been trying to get Marvel movies, or what would become Marvel Studios, off the ground. Equally crazy that Marvel was once in a position to buy DC's best characters and then a few years later was almost out of business. Very sad to learn the stories of these veterans of the comic industry and their somewhat tortured existence. Many of them died quite young, with little to show for the amazing impact they would have on myself and many others. Overall, it's an amazing read for anyone and I'd say required reading for massive Marvel fans.

jamnought
Best Friend

Jan 12, '17, 11:08pm

I just finished reading In Cold Blood, amazing book.Truman Capote is a great writer.

ProfessorXavier
Pure One

Jan 19, '17, 11:48pm

jamnought wrote:I just finished reading In Cold Blood, amazing book.Truman Capote is a great writer.

Started this book once a while back but could never get into it personally.

Eve Narlieth
Baller
PSN: gabieve

Jan 20, '17, 2:40am

vitzpatel wrote:
Mavryk wrote:The Martian and Ready Player One are the two books that I have really enjoyed recently beyond long running series.

I would echo these recommendations and add Mr Penumbra's 24 Bookstore by Robin Sloan, it's in a similar vein to Ready Player One as much as I couldn't put it down.

Also, read the Harry Potter books, I had recently re-read them and still found them brilliant.

Decided to buy the audiobook for Ready player one because of your comments. It's narrated by Will Wheaton, let's see how it goes :)

TragicKingdom50
Best Friend
PSN: TragicKingdom50

Jan 20, '17, 8:42am

Dead Presidents: An American Adventure into the Strange Deaths and Surprising Afterlives of Our Nation’s Leaders . Very odd subject but presented in an engaging way and a fun read regardless of how much you know about American history.

vitzpatel
Baller
PSN: vitz1985

Jan 23, '17, 8:02am

Eve Narlieth wrote:Decided to buy the audiobook for Ready player one because of your comments. It's narrated by Will Wheaton, let's see how it goes :)

Yaaaaay! Let me know what you think!
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

usmcLink
Best Friend
Position/Title: Web Developer

Jan 29, '17, 5:19pm

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson - it's sci-fi, but is now my favorite book of all-time. Everyone needs to read this
Favorite games of all-time: KOTOR, OoT, Red Alert, Goldeneye
Gamer Dating

Return to “Media”