BJ_Detweiler
Producer

Re: College Football

Jan 10, '17, 1:01am

Was definitely rooting for Clemson, amazing performance by Watson.

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer
XBL: shanest88
PSN: shanethesaint88

Jan 10, '17, 5:29am

Great game to close a ok college football season! hopefully that's just a sign of things to come for next year! Early predictions: Alabama USC Florida State and Michigan making the playoffs. USC and Michigan in the natty. 234 days to go until the start of next season!

niliuscofc
Baller
PSN: niliuscofc

College Football

Jan 10, '17, 6:47am

Good game. Bama gave up in that last quarter.
To grind, or not to grind...

Tidal Town
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
XBL: T1DAL TOWN
PSN: SF2K4
NNID: tidaltownusa
Steam: Tidal Town

Jan 10, '17, 8:11am

I hate it most for our defense because those guys played lights out all season long. But after Bo went down with a broken leg the offense just couldn't get anything going aside from one nice play to Howard and Jalen's go ahead TD run right at the end. The run game wasn't going anywhere and Hurts was looking very under-confident throwing the ball and Clemson ate it up. And the best defenses will still get tired if they can't stay off the field. But that's football for you. It stings bad but here's to next season.
Roll Tide | Go Braves | SMASHVILLE | Titan Up

Brannox

Jan 10, '17, 8:46am

shanethesaint88 wrote: Early predictions: Alabama USC Florida State and Michigan making the playoffs. USC and Michigan in the natty.

I got to thinking about this last night and for the most part, I agree, but with some slight changes.

For the conferences, I agree it will be a repeat from this year. I completely believe both Alabama and USC will make the final four. Even though the Tide lost last night, they still have five star recruits out the whazoo and they're toughest games next season are Florida State (More on that in awhile), LSU and Auburn. All winnable (and should win) games.

With USC, as much as I may not like the Trojans, they played one hell of a Rose Bowl, Bowl Game... Hell, just a game PERIOD. I really feel they're going to jump all over the Pac-12. Washington and Colorado may have been feel good stories, but I'm not sure its sustainable.

As for the other two spots, it's a little harder for me. I think one spot will go to whoever comes out of the B1G East, be it Michigan, Ohio State, or Penn State. Instead of being able to pick a team based off of their merits, I can't stop thinking about the one thing each team has going against them:

- Michigan: They lose EVERYBODY (practically). SO many seniors and their defense is also losing Jabrill Peppers. They also lose Jake Butt and maybe their wideouts. So yeah, I'm not sure they'll be as good as they were this season.
- Ohio State: Holy Hell can I not stop thinking about that Fiesta Bowl. The Buckeyes should be PISSED and looking for revenge. However, with the exception of J.T. Barrett, most of the high-profile Juniors declared early. Much like this season, they should be pretty young, but like Alabama, they're bringing in a LOT of top High Schoolers. I'm curious to see how their season will work out, but I'm unsure that they can simply plug and play. We'll see
- Penn State: The Rose Bowl was something else and I'm a believer in Saquon Barkely. But much like Washington and Colorado, is the feel good story sustainable. Sure a lot of their team comes back, but I wonder if all those that come back will refocus.

All in all, its hard for to pick one of those three. I'm leaning towards the winner of the Ohio State and Penn State game. The game will be in Columbus and the Buckeyes will have revenge on the mind.

For the final spot, I feel it will go to whoever comes out of the ACC Atlantic. Like the B1G East, I see it coming down to three teams:

Clemson - Now defending National Champions, Clemson may keep a stout d-line, but they lose a lot of offensive firepower. Their two best receivers, tight end, running back, and of course, their QB. If they can plug and play, all of their toughest games are in Death Valley next season. But I think maybe, MAYBE, their could be potential fall off
Florida State - Of all of the early 2017 talk, this is the team I'm most confused by about because of their schedule and who they lose. The biggest losses are of course their best players - Dalvin Cook, the school's best running back ever and DeMarcus Walker the nation's sack leader. I don't believe that they will have the offense without Cook. We'll see who'll step up at Running Back, but that first game is something else. The Chik-Fil-A kickoff game, the first in the brand new stadium in Atlanta, and if early polls are to be believed, it will be #1 vs. #2 from the preseason. While one game doesn't break you (The last three national champions all had one loss), the fact this game will be, and I'm calling it now, a near automatic 0-1 start for FSU gives them NO wiggle room. They would have to win out. And I just don't see that happening.
Louisville - This is a dark horse only because of Lamar Jackson. I still can't figure out what happened in the last three games, but if the Cardinals play next year like that, they're going to get beat. Both Clemson and Florida State will be looking to key on Jackson with the latter going out for revenge.

Sorry for such a long post. Yeah, it's funny how the playoff will come down to about 8-10 games this season.

I said this in my last post, but: This is so much fun to do. Hopefully the next eight months fly by.

BJ_Detweiler
Producer

Jan 10, '17, 8:50am

shanethesaint88 wrote:Great game to close a ok college football season! hopefully that's just a sign of things to come for next year! Early predictions: Alabama USC Florida State and Michigan making the playoffs. USC and Michigan in the natty. 234 days to go until the start of next season!

Michigan making the playoffs would mean probably the greatest coaching job of all time from Harbaugh, tough to lose everybody and get better.

Tvec29
Unsung Hero
XBL: Tvec0629

Jan 10, '17, 10:32am

As someone who has no team in college football, and does a bit of sports betting, last night's game was amazing. Basically everything you could want in a game.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

College Football

Jan 10, '17, 11:34am

As a Penn State fan...I was really wanting Alabama to win last night. Now that Clemson won, I can't tell you how many Pitt fans have been making a big deal about it...saying their the "best team in college football" because of the transitive property...talking a lot of trash on Penn State as well... portilloDismissed

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer

College Football

Jan 10, '17, 1:25pm

nicktorious_BIG wrote:As a Penn State fan...I was really wanting Alabama to win last night. Now that Clemson won, I can't tell you how many Pitt fans have been making a big deal about it...saying their the "best team in college football" because of the transitive property...talking a lot of trash on Penn State as well... portilloDismissed

Well they can say it all they want doesn't make it true lmao I could say that lsu is the best team in the country till I'm blue in the face and it won't change the fact that they aren't lol Pitt hasn't been relevant since Dan Marino was there so don't worry about it. Tell em I said thank for the great O coordinator to lol

BJ_Detweiler wrote:
shanethesaint88 wrote:Great game to close a ok college football season! hopefully that's just a sign of things to come for next year! Early predictions: Alabama USC Florida State and Michigan making the playoffs. USC and Michigan in the natty. 234 days to go until the start of next season!

Michigan making the playoffs would mean probably the greatest coaching job of all time from Harbaugh, tough to lose everybody and get better.

That pick is based on I don't think anyone in the big ten will propose a challenge and I think they can upset someone in the playoffs. Harbaugh is a good coach and has been recruiting really well. Remember when OSU lost everyone? And they just reloaded and continued on

! Message from: nicktorious_BIG
Hi, I'm just merging your posts. Try not to double post in the future. :kinda

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

College Football

Jan 10, '17, 1:37pm

shanethesaint88 wrote:
nicktorious_BIG wrote:As a Penn State fan...I was really wanting Alabama to win last night. Now that Clemson won, I can't tell you how many Pitt fans have been making a big deal about it...saying their the "best team in college football" because of the transitive property...talking a lot of trash on Penn State as well... portilloDismissed

Well they can say it all they want doesn't make it true lmao I could say that lsu is the best team in the country till I'm blue in the face and it won't change the fact that they aren't lol Pitt hasn't been relevant since Dan Marino was there so don't worry about it. Tell em I said thank for the great O coordinator to lol

I try to talk some sense into them once in a while...but that's always a fools errand. It can be pretty exhausting sometimes haha!

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer

Jan 10, '17, 2:09pm

Prediction: Derrius Guice wins the Heisman next year! This dude led the SEC in all purpose yards and RUSHING while only starting half of his games!? Holy moly.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.db ... =211404691

Tidal Town
XBL: T1DAL TOWN
PSN: SF2K4
NNID: tidaltownusa
Steam: Tidal Town

Jan 10, '17, 5:43pm

Well the sun still rose today. Now let's get to the important stuff: Only 234 days until college football!

Here are my thoughts:

You can't expect any defense to continue to be stout for 90+ snaps (Clemson had 99). It's just not doable.

The offense changed after Bo got hurt and I don't know why. Harris and Jacobs were the rushing crew for the first 3/4ths of the season. That should've continued even after Bo went down.

Too many receivers were dropping balls. That contributed to Hurts' confidence problems.

The play that did it IMO was when Howard snagged that ball that was supposed to go to Harris on the screen pass where he had so much green for a first down or touch down. Howard was close to a first down, but that play was called right. Execution was the problem.

At the end of the day, Clemson played a helluva game and Watson is a helluva QB.

Here's to next season!
Roll Tide | Go Braves | SMASHVILLE | Titan Up

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer

Jan 11, '17, 5:25am

Tidal Town wrote:Well the sun still rose today. Now let's get to the important stuff: Only 234 days until college football!

Here are my thoughts:

You can't expect any defense to continue to be stout for 90+ snaps (Clemson had 99). It's just not doable.

The offense changed after Bo got hurt and I don't know why. Harris and Jacobs were the rushing crew for the first 3/4ths of the season. That should've continued even after Bo went down.

Too many receivers were dropping balls. That contributed to Hurts' confidence problems.

The play that did it IMO was when Howard snagged that ball that was supposed to go to Harris on the screen pass where he had so much green for a first down or touch down. Howard was close to a first down, but that play was called right. Execution was the problem.

At the end of the day, Clemson played a helluva game and Watson is a helluva QB.

Here's to next season!

You sure you don't wanna fire Saban? lol listening to some of those people who call in to the Paul finebaum show that's what some people are saying. Lol

Look, Alabama just lost a game. That's all. Clemson is a great team. Probably just as good as Alabama. Defense is great and offense is really good too. Not like Alabama didn't show up or something like that. You guys just played a game against an equal opponent and came out on the losing end. Last year it was the opposite. Is this the beginning of the end of the Alabama dynasty? Probably not. But you do have to wonder how a team can sustain this type of elite play for much longer? There has to be a few off years in there somewhere. That's just how it works

Brannox

Jan 11, '17, 7:33am

shanethesaint88 wrote:You sure you don't wanna fire Saban? lol listening to some of those people who call in to the Paul finebaum show that's what some people are saying. Lol

This mindset is why I can't stand (most. NOT ALL) Alabama fans. Many overreact and throw hissy-fits. It's why I find it so refreshing to read Tidal Town's thoughts because its not overreaction, rather articulated and objective. It's beyond frustrating to hear UA fans who think Alabama will win every single game, and while it IS a shock now-a-days because the Tide has been so dominant, some just have screwed up priorities. It's kind of why I was thrilled to see Clemson win: Someone, ANYONE (practically) different won it. That and some of things UA fans have done/do is unbelievable.

Regardless, on to next season, when we all lose our collective minds again.

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer

Jan 11, '17, 8:28am

Brannox wrote:
shanethesaint88 wrote:You sure you don't wanna fire Saban? lol listening to some of those people who call in to the Paul finebaum show that's what some people are saying. Lol

This mindset is why I can't stand (most. NOT ALL) Alabama fans. Many overreact and throw hissy-fits. It's why I find it so refreshing to read Tidal Town's thoughts because its not overreaction, rather articulated and objective. It's beyond frustrating to hear UA fans who think Alabama will win every single game, and while it IS a shock now-a-days because the Tide has been so dominant, some just have screwed up priorities. It's kind of why I was thrilled to see Clemson win: Someone, ANYONE (practically) different won it. That and some of things UA fans have done/do is unbelievable.

Regardless, on to next season, when we all lose our collective minds again.

To be fair most of that on the Finebaum show is probably just over exaggerated to get 15 mins of fame on tv. That being said almost any dominant team whether it be USC early 2000s or the partriots or someone all get those crazy bandwagon fans that act super crazy when they lose or win. Alabama from my persepective seems to be worse but my persepective is skewed by my team losing to Alabama 6 times in a row. So there's that.

And yes, I also was glad to see Clemson based purely on someone different winning it and hopefully(sorry tidal town) knocking down Alabama even if it's just a peg. Even putting my biases aside the SEC is just boring these past few years cause you know Alabama is just gonna win it anyway. I'd like to see there be some more competition. Football is at its most boring when one team just dominates it and no else has a chance.

And yes on to 2017! Excited for signing day and excited to see what team step up next year. SEC has been reloading so hopefully it will be a great SEC year next year. Expecting LSUto do better but just by 2 games. But we shall see!

Brannox

Jan 11, '17, 9:02am

shanethesaint88 wrote:
To be fair most of that on the Finebaum show is probably just over exaggerated to get 15 mins of fame on tv.

You don't know my family ColinApproves

shanethesaint88 wrote:That being said almost any dominant team whether it be USC early 2000s or the partriots or someone all get those crazy bandwagon fans that act super crazy when they lose or win. Alabama from my persepective seems to be worse but my persepective is skewed by my team losing to Alabama 6 times in a row. So there's that.

Fair point.

Brannox

College Football

Feb 01, '17, 3:21pm

So National Signing Day has come to a close and objectively, as it pains my soul, the big winners of the day are (in no particular order):

USC,
Florida,
Alabama,
Miami,
and LSU

All of those teams had a strong day today, ESPECIALLY the Trojans. I can take solace in a couple of big signings and key early enrollees. All in all, same kind of NSD, but personally a let down. Oh well. On to WEEK 1... in six months.

BJ_Detweiler
Producer

College Football

Feb 02, '17, 5:09am

Brannox wrote: On to WEEK 1... in six months.

Don't worry, it'll fly by. The Summer always does.

Brannox

College Football

Feb 02, '17, 6:29am

BJ_Detweiler wrote:
Brannox wrote: On to WEEK 1... in six months.

Don't worry, it'll fly by. The Summer always does.

Not for me. Summer is the WORST. But it's cool: At least they're's E3 in June to tie me over.

shanethesaint88
Shadow Boxer

Feb 22, '17, 6:40am

Is it September yet!? lol I need some college football in my life! Thankfully spring games are right around the corner. I enjoy watching those.

Anyway, how About we get a way to early predictions list! List the top ten teams you think having the best chance to make the playoff. With #1 having in your opinion the best chance and so on and so forth

1. USC (PAC 12 doesn't really have anyone else but WA)
2. Ohio State
3. Florida State
4. Alabama(Probably the best team)
5. Penn State
6. LSU(dear god I hope lol)
7. Oklahoma(No one in Big 12 besides them)
8. Clemson(hard to make it 3 times in a row)
9. Florida(Offense gets going and this is a scary team)
10. Michigan

Return to “Health, Food, Fitness & Sports”