RAYdiationHazard
Best Friend
Position/Title: Rabid Consumer
PSN: stigasaurous

I CHALLENGE YOU TO LOSE MORE WEIGHT THAN ME!!!

Feb 06, '17, 4:36pm

I'm twenty four years old and my body isn't where it should be. I spent four years in the Navy and I know what it CAN be. Ive had trouble finding motivation before and so I thought competition and money on the line might do it. So far I've done better than ever before.
:kinda {This is the empty space where I add a quirky signature eventually, but obviously not today} :kinda

vitzpatel
Baller
PSN: vitz1985

Feb 07, '17, 8:20am

You may want to correct the spelling of weight in the thread title.

All the best with losing weight. I'm trying to do the same thing at the moment, while also bringing down cholesterol level and all that fun stuff.

It's get harder to do when you're older trust me, so stay positive!
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Feb 07, '17, 10:58am

vitzpatel wrote:You may want to correct the spelling of weight in the thread title.

Should be fixed now.

RAYdiationHazard
Best Friend
Position/Title: Rabid Consumer
PSN: stigasaurous

Feb 07, '17, 4:50pm

We are both off to good starts. Weigh in is Sunday!!
:kinda {This is the empty space where I add a quirky signature eventually, but obviously not today} :kinda

Soumen
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Feb 23, '17, 8:14am

Well, if that is a challenge i do accept it aswell, though i am currently 98kgs. Craze towards games has made me a bit fat.. ha ha ha.. but i have recently joined a great fitness centre in kolkata named Soumen's Workout who have given me word, they will reduce me to 75s... thats why they prouldly mention themselves as Best fitness centre in kolkata. So, hope for the best for myself..

jfosnight
Best Friend
PSN: Mountain_Dog
Steam: Mountain_Dog

Re: I CHALLENGE YOU TO LOSE MORE WEIGHT THAN ME!!!

Feb 23, '17, 4:07pm

I am currently trying to lose 10 more lbs, I already went from 207 - 175. I am very active, I exercise 2 times a day but occasionally just go HAM on some sweets.

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

May 10, '17, 6:01am

jfosnight wrote:I am currently trying to lose 10 more lbs, I already went from 207 - 175. I am very active, I exercise 2 times a day but occasionally just go HAM on some sweets.

Congrats on the change, hope you were able to hit your other 10 lbs like you wanted kfsmile

Bringing this thread back from the dead:

Hoping everyone is doing well on their weight loss journey. I know I have been very happy with my results up to this point, but I'm not finished.
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

vitzpatel
Baller
PSN: vitz1985

May 10, '17, 8:26am

First time back at the gym after a holiday to Vegas...had to refer to my email to remember my code to get in lol.

Currently 85kg and want to bring that down. Now that it's summer (or at least less rainy in the UK), we'll be doing more stuff in the evenings so I'm not relying on only going to the gym.

Will be looking to buy a new bike at some point too, there's a number of decent paths to cycle on around home.
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

lauren_kidd12
Portillo's Mouth Noises

May 16, '17, 1:49am

I'm ready to shed my weight. I'm 30 years old and my work nature is to sit for nearly 8 hours a day. I need a change. So I think this competiton can be of great help!

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer

May 16, '17, 5:46am

lauren_kidd12 wrote:I'm ready to shed my weight. I'm 30 years old and my work nature is to sit for nearly 8 hours a day. I need a change. So I think this competiton can be of great help!

I am in the same boat as you: I'm 36, I work a sedentary job in a office. I am sitting down for most of the day at work. There is no "walk around the office" option for me.
If you will indulge me, I'd like to tell you where I was and where I am now when I made my first post on page 1:

I started in January of this year, when I stepped on the scale and hit a personal record for weight. Now, I am not one of those who thinks everyone needs to weight 160 lbs and have six pack abs; however, I also think that its not healthy to carry around EXCESSIVE extra weight. The damage it does to the numerous systems of your body manifests itself decades down the road -- whether Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, joint pain/damage, etc. All the stuff we all have heard before, but never listened to. It also hit me mentally, where I was depressed about how I looked, the size of pants I had to go buy because of my weight gain, and just how I felt (tired, sore, always lacking energy).

So all of this was hitting me. I used a weight loss contest at my work to get "started" on fixing my problem. However, there was one BIG difference about this time versus the others: This time I chose to approach it as a complete overhaul of how I eat, not just a "diet" or short term adjustment. I had decided that I was going to start training for the marathon, rather than a quick sprint.

I had to make a permanent change to how to approach food and how to eat. Not just for the short term, but for the long term. It is only when you change your mental outlook and completely change course, will you find long term success. Anything short of a PERMANENT change will ultimately be a failure. So I approached it exactly as that. I knew going into it that be hard days, especially early on (and there were). Anytime you make a make big changes -- your body rebels. But it can't win. It must be mind over matter.

Enough of my novel.

Just know that I started out as a depressed, never full, food monster who stress-ate and overall felt horrible physically and mentally. For the last 4 months I have tried to undo decades of poor eating habits, poor dietary outlooks, and entrenched myself in the world of "this is how I am going to eat for the rest of my life." Today, I sit in a much better place mentally and physically. I have shed serious weight. I have hit milestones I never thought I'd see again, but they aren't "goals" because I'm not done. Its only been 4 months of this new food life, and I have to tell you -- I have not gotten bored of ONE of the things I've eaten. I don't "hate" the food I eat. I am not done. I have many other milestones to hit, and there are some "goals" I have set. But I'm lightyears away from where I was in January.

In the end: YOU. CAN. DO. THIS. But this is a marathon, not a sprint. There will be hard days. You must change your mindset from "this is what I can/can't eat" to "this is the food I eat because..." It won't be easy, but it won't get any easier the longer you weight.

Good luck
kfglad
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

Jamie34
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Jul 15, '17, 12:12pm

A very nice achievement form you. Will definitely tell my readers about this. You can use this resource Websiteto help you shape up your body a bit.

Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

Jul 15, '17, 6:23pm

So I just got Nike Fitness and Zumba for my 360. I haven't been able to find time to get to the gym after work so I figured I can atleast get a good workout at home. I'm aiming to be down around 200 by years end

channelocho
Unsung Hero
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Jul 15, '17, 6:55pm

It amazes me how much diet is a big part for me. I was still going to the gym the last couple of weeks, but wasn't being careful with what I was eating and eating out a little bit more and I gained 5lbs over the last month. Time to be more aware of what I am eating.

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Jul 15, '17, 8:05pm

channelocho wrote:It amazes me how much diet is a big part for me. I was still going to the gym the last couple of weeks, but wasn't being careful with what I was eating and eating out a little bit more and I gained 5lbs over the last month. Time to be more aware of what I am eating.

The diet is the much more important aspect of being healthy. It's why you'll go to the gym and see guys with big arms but are still fat. If you wanna get lean and in shape you have to put a diet you can stick to first and foremost that way even if you miss a day of working out it's not that big of a deal.

channelocho
Unsung Hero
XBL: Channelocho86
PSN: ChannelOcho

Jul 15, '17, 8:14pm

I know, I worked out for a year and never really changed my diet and lost a few pounds, but didn't have significant losses until I started changing what I ate.

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer

Jul 18, '17, 2:36pm

Diet above all.

We have been led to believe that the way your lose weight is to spend hours at the gym lifting weights and running on the treadmill. Reality is absolutely the inverse of that. Gym workouts are a FANTASTIC way to lose fat, gain muscle, change the shape of your body -- BUT-- your weight might not change much. However, people think its just hours at the gym, protein powders, and cardio nightmares.

There is no way to hide from a bad diet. Everyone is different, and the foods we eat impact us differently; however, the food we eat determine not only how we look, but how we feel.

rydaddyeff
Best Friend
Position/Title: Asso. Producer at ConCal Pod
PSN: RyDaddyEff
Steam: firster

Jul 21, '17, 8:07am

Hope everyone is doing well with their goals. Like a lot of what I'm reading, I also work at a desk, am currently in my third decade of life, and want to be healthier.

I've been on a diet/exercise plan that was worked out alongside a doctor. I do recommend talking to your doctor if you can about it, because they may have a plan that'd work super well specifically for you because they typically know your history.

Anyways, about a month in and I've lost 23 lbs. Diet is the biggest part for weight loss and being in that gym life hasn't hurt, but has given me a big case of narcissism as I'm not really use to seeing muscles and stuff pop out over fat. kftongue

why2bee
Unsung Hero
PSN: why2bee

Aug 08, '17, 12:03pm

I am having trouble in this area. My wife and I have made a pact to lose weight. I've done the research and I in the past I've lost a lot of weight moving to a diet that consists of high protein and vegetables, and low carbs. I have a lot of trouble with sweets, specifically ice cream. I work at an office in which there is a box of donuts available at least a few days of week. I have trouble not partaking in the donuts. I have a hard time not stopping at the ice cream place down the block when work takes me out of the office. I think as much as anything I needed to voice these struggles to an audience I know is accepting and supportive. I don't have a number in mind as a goal, I just want to be healthier for our kids.

Chaz
Pride of the Forums

Aug 08, '17, 12:42pm

why2bee wrote:I am having trouble in this area. My wife and I have made a pact to lose weight. I've done the research and I in the past I've lost a lot of weight moving to a diet that consists of high protein and vegetables, and low carbs. I have a lot of trouble with sweets, specifically ice cream. I work at an office in which there is a box of donuts available at least a few days of week. I have trouble not partaking in the donuts. I have a hard time not stopping at the ice cream place down the block when work takes me out of the office. I think as much as anything I needed to voice these struggles to an audience I know is accepting and supportive. I don't have a number in mind as a goal, I just want to be healthier for our kids.

Try Halo Cup for Ice Cream. its healthier haha

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer

Aug 08, '17, 1:28pm

why2bee wrote:Post .

Welcome. I know its not easy to start that journey, and while it gets better, there are many times/ways that you can slip up and back into old habits very easily. (I am currently in a very "odd" week where the old demons have instantly come back and they are pissed). I am no expert; however, I have been doing/read/researching this long enough to know from personal experience, so there are some thoughts I have on the subject:

This isn't a temporary change. This isn't for a short term. This isn't a "diet." Its changing how you approach/prep/eat food. No one can do it for you. It isn't a easy start, but it will be worth it.

What works for you might not work for your wife, and vice versa. I think majority of changing your habits is understand yourself, your body, and your craving. I have MANY foods that are "trigger" foods, which sounds like ice cream is one for you. For me, it not so much sweets as it is pizza, or bread. (I know, I know, but for me bread/pizza >>>>> ice cream/dessert). So you will have to work hard to reign yourself in on the trigger foods. You will learn whether you can have a small sample of a "trigger food" and walk away or you need to really avoid even taking a bite overall. That will be something you will have to figure out yourself.

Don't treat food like a reward or have "binge days" because I think it creates a unhealthy approach to food. I think it turns food intro a reward, rather than fuel. (Some will disagree with me on this point, but I tend to treat food at the healthy/good vs. unhealthy/not so awesome but damn its tasty). If you want ice cream, I recommend Halo Top as it comes in at like 320 calories for a whole pint, but very good.

Notice what impacts you. My body is always much more inclined to want to be "bad" after I've had beers the day before. I feel like I don't have the same control as I do when I'm just drinking water/coffee.

You do not have to workout to lose weight.
You need to track your calories, eat at your daily limit, and it will happen. But going to the gym will help you shed fat, but your loss will not be see the same way on the scale (if thats what you are shooting for).

This is a super complex, multi-faceted issue -- if you ever have questions/need to vent/want a opinion, please feel free to DM me. I'll to my best to help you out or at least listen.

Signed,

Dad of 2 kids, who is doing it for the same reasons as you.

Return to “Health, Food, Fitness & Sports”