dunn000
Portillo's Mouth Noises

PS I Love You XOXO Questions | January 10

Jan 08, '17, 3:49pm

Hey Colin and Greg,
Long time listener, first time writing in

You may have touched on this before and I missed it but here goes nothing. Why does the PS4 Playstation store seem to suck. On both the Playstation 3 and the Vita there is access to probably thousands of amazing PS1 classics such as Final Fantasy, Symphony of the Night, and Metal Gear. Now I do not own a Vita because I have never had the disposable income at the right time to afford one so my only hope to play all of these classics is to continue to keep my Playstation 3 hooked up to my T.V (Which is becoming a bigger issue with the Switch coming later this year). These games aren't even available on PSNow. So my question is what's the big idea here? Why does Sony hide all of these games and is this a concern of yours going into the future. All of these great games not being playable on future consoles. We must preserve some of the great games PSOne had and not let them fade into history. Thank You

P.S I know Colin hates me because I don't own a Vita, but it's okay I still love him <3 =)
Brandon

Melkomx
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Jan 08, '17, 5:52pm

Hey Dudes,

Just want to give a Thank you Shuhei for the Platinum Trophy in games. As a kid going off to college in the fall Ive been getting use out of the games I have previously played going for the Platinum trophies; helps me save up on cash. (Last Plat was Downwell on The mother effin Vita)

Ironically I listened to your last show on beyond and have been a fan since.
- MelkomX

robduto
Pure One
Position/Title: Writer
PSN: robduto

Re: PS I Love You XOXO Questions | January 10

Jan 08, '17, 9:56pm

Hey Colin and Greg!

I picked up Rise of the Tomb Raider for Christmas, and I have to be honest: so far, it stinks! I'm about two hours in and I'm quickly realizing that I'm just not having fun with any of it. One hour into the game we travelled from Siberia, Croft Manor, and Syria, and BACK to Siberia, and the whole thing just seems jarring. The cutscenes pop out of nowhere, and more often than not, I find myself questioning just what the hell is going on.

I've listened to you both praise Rise of the Tomb Raider time and time again, and I have been nothing more than excited to finally get my hands on the game during these discussions. I was a huge fan of the 2013 reboot, more so than any of my friends, and was heartbroken to wait an extra year to play natively on PS4.

Now, it saddens me, because I feel as if I'm the only one who thinks the pacing of the game is just too fast; so fast that it's forcing me to care less and less about why I should play it in the first place. Gameplay is fine, but none of it seems as memorable as when I first played the reboot. Can you guys help put my thoughts into perspective, or are your experiences with Rise completely different from mine? I'd love to know where you stand.

Keep on keeping on, guys, and here's to a fantastic 2017!
Rob Sperduto

Phil brown
Portillo's Mouth Noises
PSN: Bringbackbaxus

Jan 09, '17, 2:40am

Hello besties, I've recently upgraded to a PS4 pro as I heard it will help my vr. gaming in "4K" is nice but certainly not setting the world on fire, last night my girlfriend and I decided to rent a movie from the store and to my amazement the pro didn't have any ultra hd movies available, I understand keeping costs down on the drive but the store? Is Sony screwing up with this so called upgrade system ?thanks for always being there your buddy Phil
Last edited by Phil brown on Jan 09, '17, 10:44am, edited 2 times in total.

AaronP_94
Portillo's Mouth Noises
Position/Title: Writer at Filmgamestec
PSN: AaronP_94

Jan 09, '17, 2:58am

FORGOTTEN PLAYSTATION GAME:

Hey Colin and Greg, just wanted to chime in with my choice for this week's forgotten Playstation game: Infamous 2.
Although not an underrepresented game by any means, i feel like Infamous' second outing doesn't receive the acclaim it deserves.

In my opinion the game is the equivalent of the jump from AC1 to AC 2 for the Assassin's Creed franchise, maintaining the sleek open-world gameplay and interesting storytelling whilst stepping it up graphically as well as with it's combat thanks to the addition of Cole's amp. Why don't more people bring up infamous 2? It's my favourite in the franchise!

Thanks for all that you do!

Aaron Potter

stinkybridgecleaner
Portillo's Mouth Noises
Position/Title: Talker

Jan 09, '17, 3:58am

I didn't know whether to open with "Beyond!!" or "Wag1 champs" which are the two best openings to a psq from fellow bf so pick your poison.

Anywho, do trophies(more so platinum trophies) replace the incentive of playing a game instead of for fun/experiencing the game(for aesthetics, gameplay etc)? And is that a bad thing if players get just want to get their gaming fix. Personally, the standard for how much I will enjoy game x has lowered and has been substituted with whether or not it has an achievable platinum. To me that is a problem, one that I'm not sure should be fixed or if I want it to be. Why do we need trophies??

P.S. Thank you for all your knowledge

Marc
Best Friend
XBL: Zankul82
PSN: Zankul82
Steam: Zankul82

Jan 09, '17, 6:16am

Is there an RSS feed link for PS I love you XOXO. trying to move away from itunes.

Also is there a list of RSS feeds for other shows. I have Gamescast and GOG from patreon. But I would like RSS feeds for the other shows if they are available.

nineoutof10
Portillo's Mouth Noises
Position/Title: Product Builder
PSN: Wolfee89

Jan 09, '17, 7:19am

Hey Colin, Greg and the ever rotating third chair... oh wait!

So I'm hoping you can shed some light on the break down of revenue made from a game. As like many of the best friends I have gone predominantly digital this generation, 15 physical to 220 digital (roughly). I've often heard you guys reference that when you buy digital it cuts out the cost of printing disks, distribution, etc etc. However, digital still tend to retail around the same price as the boxed versions, so who does the "saved money" go to. Do devs get a larger chunk of the pie when it comes to digital? Or do Sony just monopolise on this with the devs retaining the same percentage?

And in my native language....

P.S. Is breá liom tú XOXO (pronounced "Iss brah lum too")
Paul

davecasadonte
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Jan 09, '17, 8:21am

Ahoy there Colin and Greg!

Has Colin jumped back into Far Cry Primal? What are his thoughts? A big Far Cry fan myself, I held off from playing Primal because it didn't seem to have what I love most about Far Cry games, i.e. sniping and blowing stuff up, and I was never really into hunting or the voodoo tribal stuff. Am I wrong about Primal, or should I wait for Far Cry 5 whenever that may come and whatever that may be? Would love to hear you speculate about 5 if you choose to do so.

Thanks for all you do,
Dave

MaDogNik96
Best Friend

PS I Love You XOXO Questions | January 3

Jan 09, '17, 8:59am

Hi Greg and Colin!

I've been stockpiling some questions for you guys and I'm pulling one out. I think I wrote this right after PSX, so it's not too old, but here we go:

A younger MaDogNik96 wrote: Hi Greg and Colin!

I was excited to see the announcement of Housemarque's new game, Nex Machina. It looks amazing and I know it will be. The PSX Keynote also revealed the release of Let It Die. I was curious about it so I checked it out. For a free-to-play rogue-like game, it's not bad. Controls are a little wonky, but not bad. Colin always brings up that free-to-play is a terrible business model and can only hurt the industry. I'm not disagreeing with him, but I want to ask; is there a right way to do free-to-play? (Not doing it is not an answer lol). I brought up Housemarque's game because I feel they would be able to do it. They make awesome arcade inspired games where you shoot for high scores. Why not make that? Imagine if Resogun was a free-to-play game and you payed for credits, just like an arcade cabinet. Let It Die is similar in that after you die, you can pay for life insurance and be brought back. I'm not saying Housemarque is going to do it, but I wanna try and defend free-to-play.

So what do you say? Is there a good free-to-play model?

- MaDogNik96

P.S. Free-to-play usually sucks.

pepelo14
Pure One

Jan 09, '17, 9:22am

Hi guys
Congratulations on the beginning of your third year, sure looks it will be bigger and greater than the past one. In this occasion I would like to propose Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria for this week's forgotten game. I had a blast playing this, it was engaging but difficult in a good way. And it introduce a lot of mechanics and options I hadn't seen in other RPG games o games for that matter.

Hope you like it

Love and kisses for both

Jose Luis Casillas form south of the border

pauLAW
Pure One

Jan 09, '17, 9:34am

Hi Colin, Hey Greg.

Please discuss why games are not making a release in the U.K.?

I have been on vita island since the release and for some reason Sony has decided that this island should have segregation. My US friends are happy playing games like My Name Is Mayo, Saturday Morning RPG and Taco master whist I am left being teased with screenshots and trophys that I will never obtain and it's not fair!

How, in 2017 can we still be having issues like this where games are not accessible to me when they are ready available and have been for a long time in the States? I understand issues with localisation for games like Persona 5 take time and that eventually I will get to play that game but so many other games by lesser developers who could seemingly do with my (and others) support are left out of reach! Region locked! Leaving me unable to support the developers and unable to support the VITA! Please help bring an end to this!

Paul - Manchester, England (no oi!)
PSN - pauLAW
STEAM - Paul7751

SorryWeAre0_o
Shadow Boxer
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Jan 09, '17, 10:34am

Hey Guys,

Here's a new years gaming resolution / trophy time question if you'd like.

In 2016 I stopped spending large amounts of my time on specific games (like Destiny) and tried to play more games in general. I managed a fairly modest total of 22, platinuming 11 of them. Whilst I played some of the years best games like The Witness, Ratchet & Clank, and Uncharted 4 I still missed games like DOOM, Overwatch & Titanfall 2. So in 2017 I hope to continue playing more games than I did last year.

On the Gamescast last week Colin said he played 69 games in 2016, 7 of which he platinum'ed. Greg according to PSNProfiles you played 122 games, of which you platinum'ed 11.

What are your resolutions for 2017? Do you want to play more games, or less games? Do you want to spend more time with certain games, are there any games you think you'd like to platinum? (Providing they have a good trophy list)

Thanks,
Josh from England.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unrelated to my question just saving myself from making a double post in the thread.

robduto wrote:Hey Colin and Greg!

I picked up Rise of the Tomb Raider for Christmas, and I have to be honest: so far, it stinks! I'm about two hours in and I'm quickly realizing that I'm just not having fun with any of it. One hour into the game we travelled from Siberia, Croft Manor, and Syria, and BACK to Siberia, and the whole thing just seems jarring. The cutscenes pop out of nowhere, and more often than not, I find myself questioning just what the hell is going on.

I've listened to you both praise Rise of the Tomb Raider time and time again, and I have been nothing more than excited to finally get my hands on the game during these discussions. I was a huge fan of the 2013 reboot, more so than any of my friends, and was heartbroken to wait an extra year to play natively on PS4.

Now, it saddens me, because I feel as if I'm the only one who thinks the pacing of the game is just too fast; so fast that it's forcing me to care less and less about why I should play it in the first place. Gameplay is fine, but none of it seems as memorable as when I first played the reboot. Can you guys help put my thoughts into perspective, or are your experiences with Rise completely different from mine? I'd love to know where you stand.

Keep on keeping on, guys, and here's to a fantastic 2017!
Rob Sperduto

You should play the game for more than an hour or two. Like Colin said on the show last week after you're past the start the game really starts to come into its own and yes the pacing of the story evens out and you stop jumping around as much.

MikailAQ95
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Jan 09, '17, 11:14am

Hola Colin and Greg,

Just recently traded my Wii U and 3ds (RIP) for a PS4, and got a pretty penny for both items, and only paid $17. In any case, I am new to the PSN community and Kinda Funny, and would like to make new best friends to play overwatch and other mulitplayer games that the community suggests. My PSN ID is MikailAQ95. Would appreciate the help, but more importantly, I appreciate all the hard work y'all do and keep up the great work!

Your New Best Friend,
Michael Queen

BootyPop88
Best Friend
XBL: ElderGod800
PSN: Dustyw888

Jan 09, '17, 8:17pm

Hi Greg and Colin or (insert guest here) i know this is technically an xbox question so my apologizes but i was curious on your thoughts about the cancellation of Scalebound? I don't know the factors that goes into canceling a game, but if so much time and money is spent on game like this why not risk it and release it and hope to get some money back? Also do you think Sony could get the rights and we could get on the PS4 instead?

Thanks Dorks!

PS I'll be gay for you.

jpng15
Best Friend

Jan 09, '17, 10:04pm

Hey guys! JP here

Question about the Last of Us and Left Behind (spoilers)

All of this talk of having a female gay lead in Part 2 suprised me. It might be weird but I never though of Ellie as a lesbian. Maybe because she is just fourteen, but I don't think her relationship with Riley in Left Behind was romantic. I interpreted this relationship as mutual love and care for one another, and the kiss might've just been a knee-jerk reaction for Ellie in response to losing the only person she has ever cared about. Thoughts?

ProjectSeoul
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Jan 10, '17, 6:26am

Hello Colin and my Chi-Town brother, Greg.

As everyone knows, Xbox Live and PSN are both yearly subscriptions that cost $60. With it you can play games online, get free games, etc. My problem with that is with Xbox Live and PSN both being similar prices. I feel like you get more out of Xbox Live, because you get to play xbox exclusive titles that are mainly to be played online. Games like Halo, Gears or War, Forza - and soon to be releases like Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, and Halo Wars 2 - makes PSN look like it's not worth the $60, because it lacks exclusives titles that are mainly to be played online. I know Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne can be played online, but they're not made do so, and therefore can't be compared to those on Xbox's lineup.

My question is that do you think Sony should try to get some exclusive titles that focus mostly on online so that PSN feels worth the price, or do you think all the free games, discounted games, and current AAA online games already make the $60 worth it.

ps nothings beats Portillo's
Last edited by ProjectSeoul on Jan 12, '17, 10:22am, edited 2 times in total.

TaxFreePwnage
Best Friend
PSN: TaxFreePwnage

Jan 10, '17, 5:04pm

Dear Greg and crazy voice Greg (Colin, you have Lola... you don't need extra love, those sweet puppy kisses and all),

I recently got into Overcooked with my friend, and it made me realize that it made me deeply miss quality couch co-op games where you can play it with a friend no strings attached. Even recent games on the PS4 have completely stripped the split-screen option they had included in previous entries, forcing you to buy a second copy and have a second PS4/TV to play with one another in the same room. Yes I understand you can do share-play by sharing a controller, but for those of us with less than high-end or reliable internet (I am running wi-fi from the 2nd floor to the basement), the signal will drop/cut out, making share-play a waste of time to even try.

Game developers have cited reasons for cutting out split-screen co-op such as "not enough processing power", or it would be "to taxing on the frame-rate". I could care less about either of those, just let me play some couch co-op! I wouldn't matter to me if the game ran on 720p at 30fps instead of 1080p at 60fps if I could sit down next to my friend and have a jolly old time like we did in the good old days.

With the PS4 Pro and eventually PS5 coming out whenever it does, should this even be an issue anymore, or do you think that Sony is doing this on purpose just to push console units and force Playstation Plus subscriptions to play with friends?

Keep up the good work... and Greg, do you think you could even grow a beard like Colin?

TaxFreePwnage
▂▃▅▇█▓▒░۞░▒▓█▇▅▃▂

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___

Beach life is the best life.

TaxFreePwnage
Best Friend
PSN: TaxFreePwnage

Jan 10, '17, 5:30pm

FORGOTTEN PLAYSTATION GAME:

Front Mission 1,2 and 3 on the PS1. I first got Front Mission 1 on a demo disc from Pizza Hut back in the 90's and from the first time I popped that disc in, I was hooked! The first 1-3 Front Mission games were Iso-metric games like Final Fantasy Tactics where you controlled a team of pilots inside of mechs, yet it utilized tactics such as damaging specific body parts of the enemy mech (blowing off their individual arms/legs), or even ejecting enemy pilots to steal their mechs at the end of a fight to keep for yourself! With a very deep level of customization upgrading each mech and mech pilot, unique weapon skills, and the specific type of equipment proficiency they had from mission to mission, the game series had a huge amount of replay-ability for a PS1 game. This really stood out to me because it had an in-game simulated Internet where you could go and find hidden websites, providing you with a boat-load of Easter Eggs, and possibly give you a leg-up on your next mission provided you spent the time and looked hard enough.

More recent games like XCom 2 and Fire Emblem have taken the mantle of these games and made them more popular, but I want to see a return to form for console Turn Based Strategy games. Front Mission had storyline depth, character building, deep customization, and the ability for you to LOSE IF YOU PLAYED WRONG. Yes, you could lose the entire game and it would basically make you restart a fresh game. In a world of games that always let you win, having a game that challenges you is a breath of fresh air.

Wish you all the best of luck and I'll be listening for years to come.

TaxFreePwnage
▂▃▅▇█▓▒░۞░▒▓█▇▅▃▂

__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___

Beach life is the best life.

Batto
Best Friend
XBL: Batsta
PSN: S_Batten

Jan 10, '17, 6:21pm

G'day Greg and Colin,

Thanks for listening to KF best friends and making the recent changes for the better.

My question is, has there ever been a game which you regret missing out on or not playing more of? Either you waited too long to go back and the game has aged too much to enjoy, or not being re-released as a classic or just being too busy with the latest titles.

My game is 'Parasite Eve 2'. I borrowed a PS1 which had a dodgy copy and it always froze after the first boss fight. I used to play it over and over but never bought my own copy. Now I'm afraid it has aged too much to go back and may ruin my memories of it. If I had disposable money I would get a Vita to play it.

Thanks so much for your service,

Batto
Sydney, Australia