Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Sword Art Online: Alicization (Season 3)

Sep 30, '17, 10:36pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZLxgvqhZD4

Season 3 is coming! I am a big fan of this franchise and can't wait to see the next season.
► Show Spoiler

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

Sep 30, '17, 11:37pm

I don't think I've ever hated an anime more than Sword Art Online. I'll pass.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Oct 01, '17, 5:21am

I enjoyed the first arc of the first season. Never watched any of the others.

Raging Light wrote:I don't think I've ever hated an anime more than Sword Art Online. I'll pass.

One Piece and Fairy Tail would be mine.
Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Re: Sword Art Online: Alicization (Season 3)

Oct 01, '17, 12:17pm

I loved Mother’s Rosario more than any other arc, so I’m down for more. That said, this isn’t a favorite by any stretch of the imagination... We’ll see.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Oct 01, '17, 8:57pm

BetoJR wrote:I loved Mother’s Rosario more than any other arc, so I’m down for more. That said, this isn’t a favorite by any stretch of the imagination... We’ll see.

That was a solid arc. I think I preferred Phantom Bullet arc, as Gun Gale Online was so different to SAO and ALO that it really stands out from the rest of the series.

Deathtone wrote:I enjoyed the first arc of the first season. Never watched any of the others.

Why was that?

Raging Light wrote:I don't think I've ever hated an anime more than Sword Art Online. I'll pass.

I tried to watch Naruto, but I couldn't stand the MC to get past the first few eps. Fairytail was too erratic for me to enjoy, but I can't say I hated it. Gurren Leggan was a pretty terrible anime to watch. SAO on the other hand is probably one of my favourites.
► Show Spoiler

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Oct 02, '17, 12:22am

Mavryk wrote:post
I watched the first season dubbed. I could only find the other subbed. I didn't want to get used to other voice actors. Lol
Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Oct 03, '17, 6:21am

Mavryk wrote:

I tried to watch Naruto, but I couldn't stand the MC to get past the first few eps. Fairytail was too erratic for me to enjoy, but I can't say I hated it. Gurren Leggan was a pretty terrible anime to watch. SAO on the other hand is probably one of my favourites.

I was pretty into Naruto as a kid but I acknowledge that it's mediocre at best. Fairy Tail is hilariously bad and I didn't enjoy Gurren Laggen either. But I will give Gurren Laggen another shot since it was made by the same studio as Kill La Kill (and I fucking adore Kill La Kill). But all of these anime are better than SAO in my opinion. It actually astounds me that people enjoy SAO, but to each their own.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer

Oct 03, '17, 9:08am

Raging Light wrote:It actually astounds me that people enjoy SAO

Why?

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Oct 03, '17, 10:41am

BetoJR wrote:

Why?

Because the plot was poorly written and filled to the brim with plot holes and inconsistencies. The characters were unrealistic and unlikable. Everything that provided valuable context to the first arc like Kirito leveling up, learning about the game, Asuna joining her guild, Kirito meeting his comrades that die because he lied about his strength level, the 72 floor boss fights out of 75 total, all of that happened off-screen due to the show's stupid time-skips. But we didn't time-skip past that whole episode about Kirito protecting some little girl who had a crush on him, or the episode about the blacksmith girl who had a crush on him, or the two episodes about the murder mystery in the safe zone, all of which were boring as fuck and completely irrelevant to the actual plot. I could go on but I'd be here for an hour. Which, coincidentally, is the length of the video that summarizes my thoughts quite well.

https://youtu.be/3uON7ANNOi4

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer

Oct 03, '17, 11:28am

Raging Light wrote:
BetoJR wrote:

Why?

Because the plot was poorly written and filled to the brim with plot holes and inconsistencies. The characters were unrealistic and unlikable. Everything that provided valuable context to the first arc like Kirito leveling up, learning about the game, Asuna joining her guild, Kirito meeting his comrades that die because he lied about his strength level, the 72 floor boss fights out of 75 total, all of that happened off-screen due to the show's stupid time-skips. But we didn't time-skip past that whole episode about Kirito protecting some little girl who had a crush on him, or the episode about the blacksmith girl who had a crush on him, or the two episodes about the murder mystery in the safe zone, all of which were boring as fuck and completely irrelevant to the actual plot. I could go on but I'd be here for an hour. Which, coincidentally, is the length of the video that summarizes my thoughts quite well.

https://youtu.be/3uON7ANNOi4

Well... I didn't really mind any of that, myself? Different strokes for different folks and all that, I guess... Anyway, thanks for the explanation. SeemsGood

Civezy
Pure One
PSN: Civezy
Steam: assassinfury

Oct 05, '17, 9:36pm

The first half of season one was great.. I feel like they started to realize they need to stretch it out and just ended up turning it into a harem anime.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Oct 06, '17, 5:31pm

Deathtone wrote:I watched the first season dubbed. I could only find the other subbed. I didn't want to get used to other voice actors. Lol

Fair enough, though both seasons are dubbed so you should be able to find them somewhere.

Raging Light wrote:Because the plot was poorly written and filled to the brim with plot holes and inconsistencies. The characters were unrealistic and unlikable. Everything that provided valuable context to the first arc like Kirito leveling up, learning about the game, Asuna joining her guild, Kirito meeting his comrades that die because he lied about his strength level, the 72 floor boss fights out of 75 total, all of that happened off-screen due to the show's stupid time-skips. But we didn't time-skip past that whole episode about Kirito protecting some little girl who had a crush on him, or the episode about the blacksmith girl who had a crush on him, or the two episodes about the murder mystery in the safe zone, all of which were boring as fuck and completely irrelevant to the actual plot. I could go on but I'd be here for an hour. Which, coincidentally, is the length of the video that summarizes my thoughts quite well.

A couple weeks ago I went into a comic shop asking for one of the SAO light novels that the show was based on, as I do quite enjoy reading novelizations of my favourite movies/games to get more perspectives on the story (Though the novels came first in this instance). And the guy behind the counter told me that the show is really faithful to the novel and I should instead look into the SAO Progressive series. Apparently SAO was the authors first project, and as writers do, they get better and learn new ways to write. So seeing his original content being made into the anime and highlighting the various weakpoints you've mention, he went back and started rewriting the series. This time it's supposedly a lot slower paced (as in less time jumps) as instead of completing the whole Aincrad arc in one Novel, he's already written 5 quite large novels for the same time period. It's also from Asuna's point of view.

So yeah, SAO is definitely not a perfect series, especially with the giant holes in content that even the Author recognizes. But I still really love the setting, the interactions between the characters, and the overall heavy themes that the anime explores.

I didn't watch the video as I really don't have an hour to spare to watch it (I've got a big enough backlog of podcasts and youtube videos as it is :( )
► Show Spoiler

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Oct 11, '17, 12:36am

Raging Light wrote:I don't think I've ever hated an anime more than Sword Art Online.

I'd like to amend this statement. I have found an anime worse than SAO.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Oct 13, '17, 3:24am

Raging Light wrote:I'd like to amend this statement. I have found an anime worse than SAO.

It sounds like a fan dub...
► Show Spoiler

Return to “TV Series”