Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Riverdale | CW | Season 1 | Discussion

Jan 12, '17, 12:08pm

The CW | Premiere: January 26, 2017 | Thursdays 9/8c

Premise
A subversive take on Archie and his friends, exploring small town life, the darkness and weirdness bubbling beneath Riverdale's wholesome facade.

Starring
K.J. Apa - Archie Andrews
Marisol Nichols - Hermione Lodge
Cole Sprouse - Jughead Jones
Camila Mendes - Veronica Lodge
Lili Reinhart - Betty Cooper
Madelaine Petsch - Cheryl Blossom
Ashleigh Murray - Josie McCoy
Casey Cott - Kevin Keller

Trailers

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jan 12, '17, 12:19pm

I'm actually pretty excited for this series. I was a pretty big fan of the Archie comics, so when I heard that they were making a more mature TV adaptation of the comics I was sold. It also makes a lot of sense that CW picked this one up. It's hard to say whether the show will gain a following, but I'll be watching on day one.

BluenoseGames
Producer
XBL: BluenoseGames
PSN: BluenoseGames

Jan 12, '17, 1:17pm

I've never read the comics but it's a CW show so I'll check it out.
"Why doesn't everyone just wear Iron Man Suits" - Colin 2016

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jan 12, '17, 1:20pm

There's also news that Sabrina the Teenage Witch might be on the show as well:
One of the most promising shows of midseason is The CW’s dark soap Riverdale, premiering Jan. 26 at 9 p.m. Based on the Archie comic series, Riverdale presents a much edgier vision of the hometown of Archie (K.J. Apa), Betty (Lili Reinhart) and Veronica (Camila Mendes).

But it’s also quite faithful for fans of the original comics, including appearances by Jughead (Cole Sprouse) and… maybe a teenage witch named Sabrina.

Yes, the character made famous by the ABC sitcom and actress Melissa Joan Hart, was actually originally an Archie comics creation (Sabrina is from Greendale, a town close to Riverdale). “Some people don’t even know that Sabrina is in the Archie family,” says Riverdale executive producer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Glee). “There is absolutely a universe where Sabrina pops up in Riverdale or one town over in Greendale. Certainly, the priority is launching Riverdale and making sure that show is as good as it can be and as embraced as we want it to be.”

Adds Aguirre-Sacasa, “I’ll just tease that Sabrina has potential with a capital P.”

The CW has already announced plans for a Charmed reboot — could Sabrina the Teenage Witch be next?

via EW

This show could be pretty cool.

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Re: Riverdale | CW | Season 1 | Discussion

Jan 13, '17, 6:36am

I'm digging the comics, since the launch of the "new Riverdale", so I'm definitely gonna watch this.

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

Jan 13, '17, 8:52am

I'll give it a shot. It's a CW show but I'm curious to see how it'll translate to live action.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jan 13, '17, 11:21am

Jay wrote:I'll give it a shot. It's a CW show but I'm curious to see how it'll translate to live action.

Yeah the fact that it's on CW makes me worry a tad, but this kind of show makes sense next to the rest of their catalog. So I guess time will only tell.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jan 29, '17, 10:04am

Well, the premiere captured my attention. I am digging the darker take on the Archie universe. As with all of these types of shows, I still need to see what they do in future episodes but I think this whole murder mystery has some legs. I am also a fan of the casting decisions. KJ Aba is definitely not the actor I would picture as Archie, but I think he is working the role pretty well. The roles of Betty and Veronica are pretty good as well.

adamwells
Pure One
XBL: brak014
PSN: brak014
NNID: brak014
Steam: brak014

Jan 31, '17, 10:30pm

I loved the pilot, I'm all hyped for this show, can't wait to see how the story unfolds, week by week

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Feb 12, '17, 1:45pm

Caught up with the two most recent episodes. I'm starting to realize that the show is falling into a hole that other CW shows have fallen into and that is awkward dialog. There hasn't been anything too awful yet, but some cringe worthy lines like the "#RiverdaleStrong" line that Cheryl mutters into the loudspeakers just felt a little too forced. Also the interactions between Betty and Archie are also a little awkward.

Also, that scene with Victoria and Betty masquerading as her sister Polly at the hot tub was really weird. I liked it (?) but I was also like...wow, this is a little fucked up. I do like the tone that the show has taken. It's a lot darker than the comics, which is something I can definitely get behind. Anyway, I am enjoying the show so despite my minor qualms.

Also...surprise appearance from BARB:

boersinc
Pure One
PSN: AzureBoers

Mar 18, '17, 12:50pm

This reminds me of "scream" very much like an MTV tv show. For all those big beautiful kids in high school. I'm all caught up to it but struggling to keep watching?!

‪https://www.twitch.tv/boersinc‬
‪https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCHxe5SlxhHn9Tao-nfA5crg‬

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mar 18, '17, 9:46pm

boersinc wrote:This reminds me of "scream" very much like an MTV tv show. For all those big beautiful kids in high school. I'm all caught up to it but struggling to keep watching?! ‬

Yeah, I can easily see the connection there. I'm still a little behind but yeah, I think it's falling into that CW trap of corny writing and drawn-out plot points. I'm still going to be sticking with it though.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Apr 01, '17, 2:15pm

Caught up with the last three episodes. I really enjoyed how the seventh episode begun, with a little dose of old-school Archie. I'm certainly digging the show's style. The way each episode is book-ended is pretty well done in my opinion. Cole Sprouse really does well with these monologues, offering some wisdom on the events that will partake.

I also continue to enjoy the drama in the show's many different plot lines. Sure it's corny as hell, but I don't really care. It's some good fun.

► Show Spoiler

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

May 10, '17, 10:11pm

This show's getting good y'all! Finally caught up before tomorrow's finale, which I hear is going to deliver a pretty large twist. That's good because episode 12 felt like a finale by itself. The murder mystery that has served as the backbone for the season has finally been solved and we have found out the murderer! It was pretty predictable...but tomorrow's twist could throw things in the air. Who knows!

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

May 13, '17, 10:30pm

Well, the finale has come and gone. I thought it was a lukewarm finale and it felt more like a "clean-up" episode. The result and consequences of the events that took place in the previous barn-burner of an episode.

► Show Spoiler

With all of that being said, I really did enjoy the debut season of Riverdale. I would have been down with a more traditional, lighthearted Archie from the comics but Riverdale took what we loved from the comics and put a much darker and more mature spin on things, which is something that worked extremely well. It might have been a bit jarring at first, but the show found it's groove. A more mature Archie comics is something I can get behind and it makes me look forward to the mystery that Season 2 is shaping up to be.

Return to “TV Series”