JJGee
Baller
PSN: Night-MareW
Steam: JJGee

Re: Castlevania | Netflix Series

Feb 21, '17, 11:33am

ryunis wrote:I hope it isn't just like Hellsing, which is awesome for its blood and gore but just doesn't hit the mark with story. Although they could learn from Hellsing's animation and style. I am looking forward to this show so much, animation isn't just for kids.

Hellsing did have some cool characters, and I feel it did a good job with making the villains seem threatening and formidable. There's definitely some cues there that Castlevania could take advantage of, but I too hope it's not too similar overall.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Castlevania | Netflix Series

Feb 23, '17, 1:34pm

Adi Shankar dropped the poster for the series:

Looks pretty nice.

Zer0
Producer
PSN: AversionX

Feb 28, '17, 9:30am

This is a series better left on consoles than on the TV. I'd much rather a series be made out of TLOU or Red Dead than Castlevania but oh well, hopefully it delivers.

ImageImageImageImageImage

JJGee
Baller

Feb 28, '17, 9:33am

Zer0 wrote:This is a series better left on consoles than on the TV. I'd much rather a series be made out of TLOU or Red Dead than Castlevania but oh well, hopefully it delivers.

There's a part of me that agrees with that. Castlevania has always been about punching monsters in the face (or more aptly, whipping their asses), and it's one of the games where the gameplay completely overrides any value the so-called story has. You can't make a Netflix series about gameplay, so that sort of feels a bit unintuitive.

However, that sort of does allow for a lot of artistic freedom. The premise is there, and even though the "story" of Castlevania is pretty ridiculous, the pieces are there - someone could very well put something together from the elements that already exist. Not to mention that an action series doesn't necessarily need such a heavy narrative anyway, so there is a way to translate that gameplay into a concept in a passive viewing experience.

Zer0
Producer

Feb 28, '17, 9:43am

JJGee wrote:
Zer0 wrote:This is a series better left on consoles than on the TV. I'd much rather a series be made out of TLOU or Red Dead than Castlevania but oh well, hopefully it delivers.

There's a part of me that agrees with that. Castlevania has always been about punching monsters in the face (or more aptly, whipping their asses), and it's one of the games where the gameplay completely overrides any value the so-called story has. You can't make a Netflix series about gameplay, so that sort of feels a bit unintuitive.

However, that sort of does allow for a lot of artistic freedom. The premise is there, and even though the "story" of Castlevania is pretty ridiculous, the pieces are there - someone could very well put something together from the elements that already exist. Not to mention that an action series doesn't necessarily need such a heavy narrative anyway, so there is a way to translate that gameplay into a concept in a passive viewing experience.

Absolutely if there's a will there's a way but if it's just going to be an action series (with little emphasis on the narrative) like the Walking Dead, it's better left a short shelf life. If you've ever watched TWD you'd probably know what I'm talking about.

JJGee
Baller

Feb 28, '17, 9:47am

Zer0 wrote:Absolutely if there's a will there's a way but if it's going to be just an action series (with little emphasis on the narrative) like the Walking Dead, it's better left a short shelf life. If you've watched TWD you'd probably know what I'm talking about.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I wouldn't mind if the Castlevania series was something like 10 episodes and that's it. That's probably pretty unlikely, but that's the way I'd do it, too.

And yeah, I haven't watched The Walking Dead in years... The funny thing is, the first season seemed like it would be doing the exact opposite of what it ultimately became, which is the exploration of the psychology and social habits of these survivors. We didn't even see the walkers that much early on in the series, and I loved that approach - there was so much more depth to a story they could tell in that environment.

Another factor in that was that early on, there was still so much story that could be told with the visuals alone. When everything hadn't yet been destroyed years ago, it was interesting to see all the recent ravages the outbreak had caused on the world. Now, not so much, since everything's just in ruins, and there's not really anything interesting to see anywhere anymore.

Zer0
Producer

Feb 28, '17, 9:54am

JJGee wrote:
Zer0 wrote:Absolutely if there's a will there's a way but if it's going to be just an action series (with little emphasis on the narrative) like the Walking Dead, it's better left a short shelf life. If you've watched TWD you'd probably know what I'm talking about.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I wouldn't mind if the Castlevania series was something like 10 episodes and that's it. That's probably pretty unlikely, but that's the way I'd do it, too.

And yeah, I haven't watched The Walking Dead in years... The funny thing is, the first season seemed like it would be doing the exact opposite of what it ultimately became, which is the exploration of the psychology and social habits of these survivors. We didn't even see the walkers that much early on in the series, and I loved that approach - there was so much more depth to a story they could tell in that environment.

Another factor in that was that early on, there was still so much story that could be told with the visuals alone. When everything hadn't yet been destroyed years ago, it was interesting to see all the recent ravages the outbreak had caused on the world. Now, not so much, since everything's just in ruins, and there's not really anything interesting to see anywhere anymore.

Preach dude. They also never went back to the plot of "everyone's infected" since Shane died and basically ever since the show took a turn for the worse. It's too bad really, I basically refuse to watch any newer ep's out of respect for what the show was originally.

ConnoisseurusRex
Pure One
Position/Title: Lord Dino
PSN: Rixy212

Mar 01, '17, 8:52am

They need to recreate the opening scene from Symphony of the Night but keep in the original voice recording :^)
Twitter: @ConnoisseurRex

JJGee
Baller

Mar 02, '17, 3:31am

ConnoisseurusRex wrote:They need to recreate the opening scene from Symphony of the Night but keep in the original voice recording :^)

I'm expecting them to at least give plenty of nods to the dialogue in that game. Plenty of deliciously corny lines there that could be embedded into the dialogue of the series... and maybe do a better job than Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 did with making it not sound all awkward.

"What is a man... [intense stare] ...but a miserable pile of secrets?" GregStink

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

May 24, '17, 4:56pm

Lord_Duncho
Producer
PSN: Lord_Duncho

May 24, '17, 5:58pm

what was the point of the first :30? I waste of time IMO that could've made the teaser much better.

stoked for the show to start though!
"...fuck it dude, let's go bowling."

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

May 25, '17, 4:24am

I kinda dug the opening -- the NES and all that jazz. Thought it was clever. Paying homage to the fact that it was a NES game, etc.

Looks interesting.
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

May 25, '17, 8:19am

I have mixed feelings with Warren Ellis. On one hand I liked a few of his comics on the other... He wrote the 4 anime marvel series. One was ok the other 3 shit... Also Adi Shankar has yet to impress me...

Lord_Duncho wrote:what was the point of the first :30? I waste of time IMO that could've made the teaser much better.

I agree
We don’t go balls to the wall, we go nuts to butts.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Castlevania | Netflix Series

May 25, '17, 8:51am

For a second I totally forgot this show was a thing. Looking forward to it though! Coming out a lot sooner than I expected.

CinciBoiler
Baller
PSN: Izzyrules

May 25, '17, 11:04am

Yeah, I had forgotten they were even doing this. Color me interested...
Twitter: CinciBoiler
PSN: Izzyrules

Return to “TV Series”