EasyModeMitch
Unsung Hero
XBL: EasyModeMitch
PSN: Classicgutes

Neon Genesis Evangelion Blu Ray

Mar 28, '17, 1:37pm

I've heard nothing but great stuff about NGE over the years and finally decided to buy the new Blu Ray releases of the series (Its more like three movies, so I'm guessing its a remake or something). I just finished the first Blu Ray, but before I move onto the next two I need to ask the community a question... is this just a show about the fate of the world being in the hands of the biggest wimp ever? Or does Shinji ever get somewhat likeable? Guren Lagann saw Simon change from a bitch into a badass, curious if I'm ever gonna have that here
portilloTrueLove

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Mar 29, '17, 4:10am

EasyModeMitch wrote:I've heard nothing but great stuff about NGE over the years and finally decided to buy the new Blu Ray releases of the series (Its more like three movies, so I'm guessing its a remake or something). I just finished the first Blu Ray, but before I move onto the next two I need to ask the community a question... is this just a show about the fate of the world being in the hands of the biggest wimp ever? Or does Shinji ever get somewhat likeable? Guren Lagann saw Simon change from a bitch into a badass, curious if I'm ever gonna have that here

Heh. Heheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh... *Ahem*

It depends on your viewpoint, I guess?

portilloPure1

gooseysoucy
Shadow Boxer
XBL: gooseysoucy

Apr 05, '17, 8:48am

I'm assuming your watching the 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33 evangelion films, if that's the case then I'm not sure how to reply because I don't know much about the updates the series is getting in those films, having watched the original series and the film "the end of evangelion" I will say that Shinji undergoes a mixture of changes. Shinji overcomes his doubts and fears at some points but only to be crushed again by another tragedy. My issue is more with Askua than anything else, can't stand her.

Then again why in god's name are these children the only ones capable of piloting these machines to begin with?

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion Blu Ray

Apr 19, '17, 7:38pm

I haven't seen the new version but I love the original series and movies. The later part of the series explains in part why Shinji is the way he is.

All I will say going forward is that you have quite a bit of into philosophy and existential crises to look forward too.

gooseysoucy wrote:Then again why in god's name are these children the only ones capable of piloting these machines to begin with?

Well, technically the Evas aren't machines and there is a reason for that as it is explained but I won't go into it here because I don't want to spoil it for OP
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback
Youtube: (Sometimes I livestream games here)

The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas

Apr 20, '17, 6:29am

gooseysoucy wrote:I'm assuming your watching the 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33 evangelion films, if that's the case then I'm not sure how to reply because I don't know much about the updates the series is getting in those films, having watched the original series and the film "the end of evangelion" I will say that Shinji undergoes a mixture of changes. Shinji overcomes his doubts and fears at some points but only to be crushed again by another tragedy. My issue is more with Askua than anything else, can't stand her.

Then again why in god's name are these children the only ones capable of piloting these machines to begin with?

There is a legit story reason as to why only children can pilot them but like Redback said, you really can't explore why without spoiling the series. As for the more practical reason, why do most anime usually cast kids or teenagers as the pilots of giant war machines capable of causing destruction on a massive scale? Probably helps with marketing to kids when they see characters that "look" like them and are the same age as them doing cool shit like piloting giant "robots".
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

gooseysoucy
Shadow Boxer
XBL: gooseysoucy

Apr 20, '17, 12:47pm

The_Almighty_Foofy wrote:
gooseysoucy wrote:I'm assuming your watching the 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33 evangelion films, if that's the case then I'm not sure how to reply because I don't know much about the updates the series is getting in those films, having watched the original series and the film "the end of evangelion" I will say that Shinji undergoes a mixture of changes. Shinji overcomes his doubts and fears at some points but only to be crushed again by another tragedy. My issue is more with Askua than anything else, can't stand her.

...why do most anime usually cast kids or teenagers as the pilots of giant war machines capable of causing destruction on a massive scale? Probably helps with marketing to kids when they see characters that "look" like them and are the same age as them doing cool shit like piloting giant "robots".

Oh no I know that, maybe I over thought this because the series plummets into darker territory and I took it more seriously. I also know they're not machines but I didn't know how exactly to describe them without stepping into spoilerish territory. As for why these kids were picked to do the job I honestly can't remember what made Shinji and Asuka so special, Rei.... eh that's a different case. That part I would need clarification.

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Apr 20, '17, 3:04pm

gooseysoucy wrote:Oh no I know that, maybe I over thought this because the series plummets into darker territory and I took it more seriously. I also know they're not machines but I didn't know how exactly to describe them without stepping into spoilerish territory. As for why these kids were picked to do the job I honestly can't remember what made Shinji and Asuka so special, Rei.... eh that's a different case. That part I would need clarification.

Yeah, I get what you mean about just calling them machines. As for the other part, I'm just gonna stick a brief explaination from wiki into a spoiler tag (so for people that don't want spoilers, don't click it, obviously )

► Show Spoiler
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback
Youtube: (Sometimes I livestream games here)

Return to “TV Series”