nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Netflix to Develop New Series Based on the Witcher Novels

May 17, '17, 8:55am

Joe Skrebels wrote:Netflix will develop and produce a new show based on The Witcher Saga, the series of eight novels by Andrzej Sapkowski that inspired the hugely popular CD Projekt Red RPG games.

Sapkowski - who does not profit from the game series - will serve as a creative consultant on the series. “I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories," he explained in a press release, "staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing."

Tomas Baginski - who directed the intro videos for all three Witcher games, as well as the Cyberpunk 2077 teaser trailer - will direct at least one episode per season.

It's not clear as yet what specific stories the series will follow. Executive producers Sean Daniel and Jason Brown (The Expanse), said: “The Witcher stories follow an unconventional family that comes together to fight for truth in a dangerous world. The characters are original, funny and constantly surprising and we can’t wait to bring them to life at Netflix, the perfect home for innovative storytelling.”

via IGN

Fuck yes! I'm super excited about the prospect of a Witcher series. The only part that worries me a little is the mention of "original" characters towards the end of the story. It's hard to tell if Daniel and Brown are talking about Geralt and the rest of the familiar characters or a totally new cast of characters. I'd be fine with new characters, but I would love a story based on Geralt, Ciri, Triss, Yennefer, and the rest. I guess we'll see as the show comes to fruition!

Anyway, I'm still pretty excited!

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Re: Netflix to Develop New Series Based on the Witcher Novels

May 17, '17, 9:14am

The politics surrounding the different regions and races would make for an interesting watch. But Netflix will ruin this. I'd have rather HBO or Starz work on it.

Zach McGowan for Geralt though.

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

May 17, '17, 9:29am

I actually squealed when I read that. I have no shame in admitting to it.

kftongue

I'd actually love it if they somehow coaxed Mads Mikkelsen into playing Geralt. C'mon, it could happen, couldn't it?

Vane wrote:But Netflix will ruin this.

Like they ruined House of Cards?

Or Marco Polo? Granted, they actually did ruin that, by cancelling it, didn't they?

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

May 17, '17, 9:42am

Vane wrote:The politics surrounding the different regions and races would make for an interesting watch. But Netflix will ruin this. I'd have rather HBO or Starz work on it.

Zach McGowan for Geralt though.

House of Cards, Dare Devil, Bojack Horsemen, and Stranger Things say hi

Super Excited for this and seeing how the Original Writer is apart of this god this is going to be good...and hopefully even great.

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

May 17, '17, 9:50am

BetoJR wrote:Like they ruined House of Cards?

Or Marco Polo? Granted, they actually did ruin that, by cancelling it, didn't they?

JerrodDRagon wrote:House of Cards, Dare Devil, Bojack Horsemen, and Stranger Things say hi

I'm not convinced they have the budget to pull of the production values necessary to make the world come to life.

Off Topic
I've never heard of Bojack Horseman and DareDevil is very average. Amazon's original content / exclusives are much better.

I'm not particularly optimistic that season 2 of Stranger Things will be anywhere near as good as the first either.

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

May 17, '17, 9:57am

Vane wrote:
BetoJR wrote:Like they ruined House of Cards?

JerrodDRagon wrote:House of Cards, Dare Devil, Bojack Horsemen, and Stranger Things say hi

I'm not convinced they have the budget to pull of the production values necessary to make the world come to life.

Off Topic
I've never heard of Bojack Horseman and DareDevil is very average. Amazon's original content / exclusives are much better.

I'm not particularly optimistic that season 2 of Stranger Things will be anywhere near as good as the first either.

They have done it before and Witcher is less about BIG action scenes and more about deep storys and well written characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLuE_olJpPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXfgvcJ5T8E

tejotl
Producer

May 17, '17, 10:14am

I was super dissapointed when it turned out that Platige Image and Tomek Baginski are involved but it is a live actors show and not full cg... I honestly have low hopes for actors choice and ability of TV series to fully grasp dark fantasy setting of the series
walking on vector prime

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

May 17, '17, 10:19am

JerrodDRagon wrote:They have done it before and Witcher is less about BIG action scenes and more about deep storys and well written characters

Marco Polo got cancelled.

And the Witcher is also about regions that are at war, in world that contains dwarves, elves, mages, monsters, humans with supernatural abilities (Witcher's)... I could go on. And it's all set in pretty different locations, they're going to need to create places like Novigrad, Vizima, Beauclair, Tir Na Lia etc. The only thing that's kind of like it on TV is Game of Thrones and look at the budget that has.

I'm also not convinced they'll be able to get a decent cast together.

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

May 17, '17, 10:51am

Vane wrote:
JerrodDRagon wrote:They have done it before and Witcher is less about BIG action scenes and more about deep storys and well written characters

And the Witcher is also about regions that are at war, in world that contains dwarves, elves, mages, monsters, humans with supernatural abilities (Witcher's)... I could go on. And it's all set in pretty different locations, they're going to need to create places like Novigrad, Vizima, Beauclair, Tir Na Lia etc. The only thing that's kind of like it on TV is Game of Thrones and look at the budget that has.

Read reviews it was not because it was bad, it cost a lot and just not enough people tuned in. Why do something that badass when you can make Master of None or Love....wayyyy cheaper

Anyway enjoy hating on the product before we see a trailer, I'm going to keep my hopes up and if the story is great I give zero shits about the how many special effects are in it. No on is watching Game of Thrones for the White Walkers or Dragons....Characters and story first.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Netflix to Develop New Series Based on the Witcher Novels

May 17, '17, 11:12am

I understand the reservations that some of you are having here, because they are certainly warranted. Netflix has never done a show like this before (aside from Marco Polo...but Polo is still a bit different than the Witcher). However, I am willing to at least give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm not going to count it out just yet. Netflix has surprised us before with new series and personally I think they are killing it with their original content. Their stuff might not be for everyone but they seem to have found a rhythm.

Anyway, until we really hear about the scope/story/characters that will be featured as well as the casting decisions, I am going to remain optimistic about it.

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

May 17, '17, 11:12am

JerrodDRagon wrote:Read reviews it was not because it was bad, it cost a lot and just not enough people tuned in. Why do something that badass when you can make Master of None or Love....wayyyy cheaper

Anyway enjoy hating on the product before we see a trailer, I'm going to keep my hopes up and if the story is great I give zero shits about the how many special effects are in it. No on is watching Game of Thrones for the White Walkers or Dragons....Characters and story first.

What's to say the same won't happen to this? Most of the Netflix audience doesn't know what The Witcher is.

Yea and there's a lot of great actors & actresses in GoT, can Netflix afford that level of quality again, based on shows they've already got I'm skeptical. They've never made anything quite like it before.

It's going to need special effects to tell some of the stories though otherwise it's going to look silly.

Still don't know if it's going to be live action, or animated, etc might look like the CGI trailers Baginski has done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_wWnLUgXvc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQE9lHBDDGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehjJ614QfeM&t=14s

tejotl
Producer

May 17, '17, 11:24am

Vane wrote:Still don't know if it's going to be live action, or animated, etc might look like the CGI trailers Baginski has done.

Last year Platige Image twitted that Baginski will be involved as director in Witcher movie and when I asked they confirmed it was with real life actors and not a cgi
I would expect this Netflix collaboration is a fallout from what was originally planned so would expect live action kfmeh
walking on vector prime

BuffArms
Baller

May 17, '17, 1:23pm

Vane wrote:

This is not Game of Thrones though, they won't be following 15 different characters in 15 different regions. They will just be following Geralt. Who may for a season be traveling the path through only a single country. Many of the actual stories from the books are just about events around one small town. Which would be very easy to film. I almost expect the show to not be one long serialized story, but rather a collection of shorter stories told in a few episodes, which matches what the books are.

And why would it be hard to cast? Only really 4-5 recurring characters of note. Just nail the Geralt, Dandelion, Yennefer and Triss castings and the rest are pretty much gnomes, dwarfs, or guest actors.
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

May 17, '17, 2:13pm

BuffArms wrote:
Vane wrote:

This is not Game of Thrones though, they won't be following 15 different characters in 15 different regions. They will just be following Geralt. Who may for a season be traveling the path through only a single country. Many of the actual stories from the books are just about events around one small town. Which would be very easy to film. I almost expect the show to not be one long serialized story, but rather a collection of shorter stories told in a few episodes, which matches what the books are.

And why would it be hard to cast? Only really 4-5 recurring characters of note. Just nail the Geralt, Dandelion, Yennefer and Triss castings and the rest are pretty much gnomes, dwarfs, or guest actors.

My Expectations for season one is start with a strong Episode one that has Geralt chasing some monster and the story at the end has a plot twist....which leads to something bigger that evolves over the season.
Then if Season one is big enough maybe try to make it bigger...but until then one area should be fine. Most places in the Witcher world are interesting and should have some interesting locations from haunted mansions, beaches, misty islands, little mud villages, big stone cities, green hills and snowy mountains.

I mean If Season one can have a story half as good as the Blood Baron, then we are in good shape

BuffArms
Baller

May 17, '17, 3:31pm

JerrodDRagon wrote:My Expectations for season one is start with a strong Episode one that has Geralt chasing some monster and the story at the end has a plot twist....which leads to something bigger that evolves over the season.
Then if Season one is big enough maybe try to make it bigger...but until then one area should be fine. Most places in the Witcher world are interesting and should have some interesting locations from haunted mansions, beaches, misty islands, little mud villages, big stone cities, green hills and snowy mountains.

I mean If Season one can have a story half as good as the Blood Baron, then we are in good shape

What I expect them to do is to start it with Yennefer and the Djinn. The story that initially ties her with Geralt. And then they will throw in relationship drama, break them up, and then have her show up again like every other episode.

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

May 17, '17, 7:56pm

Vane wrote:Zach McGowan for Geralt though.

At first I wasn't terribly interested. So far no video games have translated to TV or Film with any quality. I thought, there is no way they are going to find people who can portray the characters correctly while looking like they did in the games...and then you post this! I'm sold. portilloIndeed
► Show Spoiler

BuffArms
Baller

May 17, '17, 10:09pm

Mavryk wrote:

At first I wasn't terribly interested. So far no video games have translated to TV or Film with any quality. I thought, there is no way they are going to find people who can portray the characters correctly while looking like they did in the games...and then you post this! I'm sold. portilloIndeed

That guy needs to take the role too, he got cast as some Hawaiian war hero and the whitewashing outrage is so real that he will have to jump ship off that film or be forever screwed by it.

II GTA FREEK II
Pride of the Forums
XBL: II GTA FREEK II
PSN: II_GTA_FREEK_II

May 18, '17, 12:24am

Vane wrote:I'm not convinced they have the budget to pull of the production values necessary to make the world come to life.

This is my concern too. My only knowledge of the Witcher games or books is The Witcher 3. It takes place in a fantasy world which includes magic, mythical creatures, and non human species. If they plan on having any of this in the tv show, then they better make it look good. If it doesn't look even close to movie quality, then I will not care. Subpar special effects will break the immersion for me very easily. And it's not just special effects. Costumes, fight scenes, sets, etc. This show will require a lot of work to immerse me, and I have no hopes of it succeeding. Hopefully they prove me wrong, or at the very least everyone else enjoys the show.
Not in cruelty, not in wrath, The Reaper came today, An angel visited this gray path, And took the cube away.

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

May 18, '17, 1:26am

Aside from the poor photoshopped hair, the guy definitely has the demeanor.

► Show Spoiler

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

May 18, '17, 6:14am

Mavryk wrote:

You know how good he'd be from Black Sails too. He's even got that deep gravelly voice Geralt has, he's perfect for that role.

Return to “TV Series”