kento
Best Friend
XBL: Daft Bot
PSN: Daft_Bunk
Steam: djkento

The CW'S Black Lightning (Why It's Not Static Shock)

May 18, '17, 1:34pm

Today the CW officially unveiled their latest DC super hero TV Show, Black Lightning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LAUGA01mUc

If you go to the video you'll see in the comments a lot of people are asking "why not Static Shock?" Firstly he's just called Static. Static Shock was the name of the show. Secondly, how many more young super heroes do we need on The CW? Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl? Do we need another young origin story super hero? I'm saying no. I'm not saying Static Shock wouldn't be cool (let's face it, he'll appear by Season 2) .

Black Lightning brings a completely different feel to the super hero tv show. He's a parent, he's a teacher, he's dealing with small time crime. This is the CW's Luke Cage. This isn't a show about fighting aliens, fighting super villains and traveling through time. It's about a father and a teacher seeing his town go to shit. It has more in common with The Dark Knight Returns than it does with Static. It's also not an origin story, I'm tired of those. But a rebirth? A comeback? Who doesn't love a comback!

Framing this show around a father figure who brings up a new generation of heroes was very smart. We don't have that on TV right now.

I'll be hosting a discord viewing party for this show. Pacific Time as it airs. If you'd like to join comment below!

BuffArms
Baller

Re: The CW'S Black Lightning (Why It's Not Static Shock)

May 18, '17, 6:59pm

Quite like the premise, and the lead actor seems decent, but the CG is painful, and his suit with that yellow and blue on it, and his powers... not doing a good job with it. The effects are reminding more of Smallville than The Flash.
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

May 18, '17, 8:26pm

This looks really cool. I'm interested in watching it even though my enjoyment of the CW's shows has waned this season.
► Show Spoiler

kento
Best Friend
XBL: Daft Bot
PSN: Daft_Bunk
Steam: djkento

May 18, '17, 9:22pm

BuffArms wrote:Quite like the premise, and the lead actor seems decent, but the CG is painful, and his suit with that yellow and blue on it, and his powers... not doing a good job with it. The effects are reminding more of Smallville than The Flash.

Gotta keep in mind this is from the pilot which won't air until September of this year. That's months away. Go look at the first Supergirl episode, or trailer, especially the SDCC screening and then look at it now. Shows get better.

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

May 19, '17, 3:31am

I never thought I'd say this... They're too many super hero shows...
With that said it seems interesting but my plate is way to full at the moment. Maybe I'll catch this show down the line. Also Static Shock would have been a better idea as far as property awareness goes. Oh well.
We don’t go balls to the wall, we go nuts to butts.

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

May 21, '17, 9:59am

I disagree about the age thing.

I mean, I'll watch, but Static Shock would have been much better. I see what you are saying about young super heroes but that's really only Supergirl, Iron Fist and The Flash of people still in their 20s.

Legends of Tomorrow & Agents of Shield has people of all ages like Clark Gregg (Agents of Shield) who is 55 and Victor Garber (Legends of Tomorrow) who is 68. Then you got Mike Colter (Luke Cage) & Jon Bernthal (The Punisher) who are both 40, Ben McKenzie (Gotham) is 38. Stephen Amell (Arrow), Dan Stevens (Legion), Krysten Ritter (Jessica Jones) and Charlie Cox (Daredevil) are all in their mid 30s. Age has never really been that much of an issue in the shows.

CallSignStarbucks
Producer

May 22, '17, 9:25am

Jay wrote:I disagree about the age thing.

I mean, I'll watch, but Static Shock would have been much better. I see what you are saying about young super heroes but that's really only Supergirl, Iron Fist and The Flash of people still in their 20s.

Legends of Tomorrow & Agents of Shield has people of all ages like Clark Gregg (Agents of Shield) who is 55 and Victor Garber (Legends of Tomorrow) who is 68. Then you got Mike Colter (Luke Cage) & Jon Bernthal (The Punisher) who are both 40, Ben McKenzie (Gotham) is 38. Stephen Amell (Arrow), Dan Stevens (Legion), Krysten Ritter (Jessica Jones) and Charlie Cox (Daredevil) are all in their mid 30s. Age has never really been that much of an issue in the shows.

Holy shit Clark Gregg is in his 50's????!?

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

May 22, '17, 9:28am

CallSignStarbucks wrote:
Jay wrote:I disagree about the age thing.

Holy shit Clark Gregg is in his 50's????!?

Yup. Just turned 55 last month.

CallSignStarbucks
Producer

May 22, '17, 3:54pm

Damn son. That dude looks good for his age.

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

May 23, '17, 4:20am

Ya'll know Ming-Na Wen is 53, right?

Return to “TV Series”