Godspeed
Seducer

The Official Dragonball Super Thread

Jun 16, '15, 7:58pm

Starting July 5th in Japan TV

Thoughts and expectations and discussion.

Our hero returns.

"Aye, I'm not surprised motherfuckers" - Nate Diaz

► Show Spoiler

banoguday
Pure One

Re: The Official Dragonball Super Thread

Jun 17, '15, 8:51am

I was really excited, but now I'm a little skeptical. After 5-6 years, I recently sat down and watch it for a week or so, since it's still on TV. Nostalgia definitely plays a great factor in my fondness of the show, because I didn't enjoy it much now. There was a lot of filler in the episodes, long recaps, a lot of pointless talking in the middle of a fight, etc. I'm still going to watch super, but it made me a little less excited.

Curiously, someone is blasting all the DBZ openings right now. Maybe he's really excited. Or crazy.
Me fail english? That's unpossible!

Goodrich
Seducer

Jun 17, '15, 12:32pm

I'm hoping they'll redeem what they did to Gohan in GT in this one.
PSN/XBL/Steam: Goodrichguy

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Jun 18, '15, 3:10pm

Yeah, I am so excited for this. It's too bad that I have to wait for the dub, unless they plan to air them at the same time.

Adult Gohan always looks like such a doofus.

The one thing I hope from this show is
1. New fighters. (Not just Goku's family)
2. More secondary character development. I love DBZ, but it was sad that Goku was always getting all the big moments and wins, with the exception of Gohan in the Cell saga, but then his father shared that moment with him, so it wasn't entirely Gohan's moment. Give more stuff to Vegeta, Piccolo and Krillin.
3. More fun filler adventures, like in the original Dragonball and early DBZ.

I'm so ready for this, though.

Xyger1337
Seducer
XBL: Xyger1337
PSN: Xyger1337
NNID: Xyger1337
Steam: Xyger1337
Tags: Xyger1337

Jun 19, '15, 1:55am

I'm pretty hyped for this, can't wait to see what they'll do with the series <3
Xbox Live: Xyger1337 -- PSN: Xyger1337 -- Nintendo Network ID: Xyger1337 -- Steam ID: Xyger1337 -- Patreon: Xyger1337 -- Twitter: Xyger1337 -- YouTube: Xyger1337 -- DeviantArt: Xyger1337 -- Twitch: Xyger1337 -- Other: Xyger1337

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Jun 19, '15, 8:21am

Akira Toriyama is back and imagine all the ideas he has that he hasn't used because of how long its been since he did the manga. It's been like 20 years.

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Jun 19, '15, 9:34am

There are two things I want from this:
1) Bruce Falconer returning for the English Dub sound track. His themes are some of the best.
2) Piccolo to get a power up. He's my favourite character and I tire of him being taken out early. He doesn't have to be Saiyan level, but I want him to have an epic battle that he succeeds in.
► Show Spoiler

Chun-Li's-Thighs
Pure One

Jun 19, '15, 10:18am

They're gonna keep up the trend of only Vegeta and Goku being relevant. Gohan will never hit his potential because no one knows why. I'd rather just let this series gracefully fade away, but that's not gonna happen. So, get ready for the Goku does everything show and no one else matters.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Jun 19, '15, 11:02pm

Chun-Li's-Thighs wrote:They're gonna keep up the trend of only Vegeta and Goku being relevant. Gohan will never hit his potential because no one knows why. I'd rather just let this series gracefully fade away, but that's not gonna happen. So, get ready for the Goku does everything show and no one else matters.

Well let's be honest, it's his story and he really didn't do much in Dragon Ball Z. Piccolo killed Raditz, Vegeta killed Nappa, Vegeta vs Goku was a tie, Freiza was killed by Trunks, Cell defeated the Androids, Cell was killed by Gohan, and Buu is still around. Realistically, Goku didn't defeat any of the main bad guys (unless you count the movies) :lol:
► Show Spoiler

Chun-Li's-Thighs
Pure One

Jun 19, '15, 11:06pm

Well if you look at it, the story of Dragon Ball Z is clearly supposed to be about Gohan. Then after Cell, Toriyama just decides to go back on that completely. The whole series is set up for Gohan to become the defender of Earth after he kills Cell. Also even though Goku didn't kill Frieza he definitely beat him.

Raven92
Pure One
PSN: BuffaloCr0w
NNID: GhostMidnight

Jun 20, '15, 12:13pm

As long as they cut out fillers and they get Falconer and all voice actors back it should be pretty good. I agree Piccolo and Vegeta need to be a bit more relevant and Gohan settling down is just disappointing.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale.

Godspeed
Seducer

Jun 20, '15, 8:45pm

I agree that the heroism needs to be spread around more. Vegeta needs to save the world too. But I think Goku has the biggest fanbase and he is the main character so ultimately he is going to win.

His like the Superman of DBZ. Sure Vegeta is more edgy and cool like Batman, but he will never be considered the greatest hero over Superman.

► Show Spoiler

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Jun 21, '15, 6:45am

Godspeed wrote:I agree that the heroism needs to be spread around more. Vegeta needs to save the world too. But I think Goku has the biggest fanbase and he is the main character so ultimately he is going to win.

His like the Superman of DBZ. Sure Vegeta is more edgy and cool like Batman, but he will never be considered the greatest hero over Superman.

Not saying to change the main character. Just that the other characters need to mean more. There is basically Goku, who is the hero and the strongest. Vegeta and Piccolo are one step behind Goku. Then, all the other saiyans of the group are one step behind them and then everyone else is way far off. What happened to Tien? He should be up there with Piccolo and Vegeta. Krillin? He should at least be Goten/Trunks level.

They dropped the ball with a lot of characters and they should have gotten stronger. I'm not saying to put them on the same level as Goku, but don't make them seem like nothing, because why are they there? If Krillin is going to die in one punch, then it makes no sense for him to be fighting. That's not helping, that's suicide.

What I would like from this series is to have more individual fights, rather than "everyone takes their turn and then Goku saves the day" sorta thing. Have a group of villains show up and somewhere along a characters journey they run in to each character individually and that way they can each character can have wins and Goku can take on the top guy and still be the best.

Godspeed
Seducer

Jun 21, '15, 10:06am

Jay wrote:
Godspeed wrote:I agree that the heroism needs to be spread around more. Vegeta needs to save the world too. But I think Goku has the biggest fanbase and he is the main character so ultimately he is going to win.

Not saying to change the main character. Just that the other characters need to mean more. There is basically Goku, who is the hero and the strongest. Vegeta and Piccolo are one step behind Goku. Then, all the other saiyans of the group are one step behind them and then everyone else is way far off. What happened to Tien? He should be up there with Piccolo and Vegeta. Krillin? He should at least be Goten/Trunks level.

They dropped the ball with a lot of characters and they should have gotten stronger. I'm not saying to put them on the same level as Goku, but don't make them seem like nothing, because why are they there? If Krillin is going to die in one punch, then it makes no sense for him to be fighting. That's not helping, that's suicide.

What I would like from this series is to have more individual fights, rather than "everyone takes their turn and then Goku saves the day" sorta thing. Have a group of villains show up and somewhere along a characters journey they run in to each character individually and that way they can each character can have wins and Goku can take on the top guy and still be the best.

100% agree. They need to get other characters involved. TIen is an unsung hero. They need to have it so that it's like when Vegeta and Nappa first came down, they all took their turn.
I don't think that Goku HAS to take the top guy. He probably needs to take the top guy of the series, but each monster, I think it would be good if Vegeta or Gohan gets their fight.
Also I want there to be tension between the team, like Yamcha fighting with Tien, and like Gotenks fighting. Have Piccolo die at the very beginning and then come back REALLY strong. But his ideology is different from Goku's and they end up fighting.

► Show Spoiler

Mavryk
Management
Management

Jun 22, '15, 6:57am

Jay wrote:

Piccolo is way below the Saiyans. Gohan/Goten/Trunks are all stronger than him thanks to their Super Saiyan forms, let alone fusions. After doing a little reading about some of the non-canon appearances I found out that in one of the games they resurrected his father and fused with him, which meant he reached his ultimate/complete form which I liked a lot.

I think all the Humans: Yamcha, Krillian, Roshi etc should basically step aside from now on. There's only so strong a human can get, and they left them behind in the freiza saga. Have them around, but not on the battlefield. I think its time we get a kickass female character thats on par too, Android 18 would be a prime choice but she took an arrow to the knee it seems.
► Show Spoiler

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Jun 22, '15, 2:30pm

Mavryk wrote:
Piccolo is way below the Saiyans. Gohan/Goten/Trunks are all stronger than him thanks to their Super Saiyan forms, let alone fusions. After doing a little reading about some of the non-canon appearances I found out that in one of the games they resurrected his father and fused with him, which meant he reached his ultimate/complete form which I liked a lot.

I think all the Humans: Yamcha, Krillian, Roshi etc should basically step aside from now on. There's only so strong a human can get, and they left them behind in the freiza saga. Have them around, but not on the battlefield. I think its time we get a kickass female character thats on par too, Android 18 would be a prime choice but she took an arrow to the knee it seems.

Piccolo's strength always seemed very inconsistent. Sometimes he was one of the strongest, sometimes he wasn't. But he was always able to hold his own, even when some of the younger Saiyans couldn't. And, I never liked that Humans are limited. I feel like with enough training you should be able to be as strong as a Saiyan (not as strong as Goku or Vegeta, but a generic saiyan). It would take a lot, because Saiyans are naturally stronger. But I think that because of all the fights that the Z Fighters have had through the years, they should have gotten stronger. They shouldn't be a joke. Tien should at least have the strength of Nappa now.

Tien/Roshi are interesting though. In Dragon Ball, they were as strong if not stronger than Goku at points. Goku, the strongest of all time. Fast forward a few years and they aren't even close to Goten who had maybe 2-3 fights at that point (less than Goku)

Mavryk
Management
Management

Jul 03, '15, 2:07am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bpb9q47jxc

The animation looks great! Use the [CC] button to get the Eng subs.
► Show Spoiler

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Jul 03, '15, 2:40am

Mavryk wrote:There are two things I want from this:
1) Bruce Falconer returning for the English Dub sound track. His themes are some of the best.
2) Piccolo to get a power up. He's my favourite character and I tire of him being taken out early. He doesn't have to be Saiyan level, but I want him to have an epic battle that he succeeds in.

I'd like them to get away from Saiyan automatically means your stronger than mostly everyone else. Saiyan's should naturally at birth be stronger than a human or another species, but with enough training, someone like Piccolo or Tien should be able to get stronger. It really should be person by person, not just "because you are Saiyan"

Piccolo SHOULD be stronger than everyone that isn't Goku and Vegeta. Or even be on Vegeta's level.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Jul 03, '15, 9:54am

Jay wrote:I'd like them to get away from Saiyan automatically means your stronger than mostly everyone else. Saiyan's should naturally at birth be stronger than a human or another species, but with enough training, someone like Piccolo or Tien should be able to get stronger. It really should be person by person, not just "because you are Saiyan"

Piccolo SHOULD be stronger than everyone that isn't Goku and Vegeta. Or even be on Vegeta's level.

Well yeah that's the idea, but saiyans have the whole "Super Saiyan" thing that takes them waaay beyond most other species. Don't forget that no one in the universe could take Frieza down, and it took a Super Saiyan to beat him. Everyone above them are gods or artificially created (Androids/Cell)
► Show Spoiler

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Jul 04, '15, 3:33am

Mavryk wrote:
Jay wrote:I'd like them to get away from Saiyan automatically means your stronger than mostly everyone else. Saiyan's should naturally at birth be stronger than a human or another species, but with enough training, someone like Piccolo or Tien should be able to get stronger. It really should be person by person, not just "because you are Saiyan"

Well yeah that's the idea, but saiyans have the whole "Super Saiyan" thing that takes them waaay beyond most other species. Don't forget that no one in the universe could take Frieza down, and it took a Super Saiyan to beat him. Everyone above them are gods or artificially created (Androids/Cell)

I'm not saiyan (:P) that people should be stronger than Goku. He's the hero and I'm not saiyan (:P) at that point, that they should be super strong, I'm just saiyan (:P) as time goes on, It should be person by person. Goku was weak during the Frieza days, so you'd have to rely mainly on him being a Saiyan, but as the show moves on and now that we are past Z, it should be person by person. Goku should be powerful because he's Goku and not because he's a Saiyan.

I also hope that when this show does choose to introduce new characters, it's not just more Saiyans.

Hey, does anyone know if Uub will be in this?

Return to “TV Series”