AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego
PSN: AirMcLaren

24 | Legacy

Jan 15, '16, 9:39pm

Best show of all time, in my opinion. But, I really think Jack's character carried the show. I'm a diehard 24 fan, but I don't know if I can watch it without Jack. 24 might as well have been called "The Adventures of Jack Bauer." It's just not 24 without him. Especially now that we are so far into the series where the formula is beginning to wear (that's being generous, the formula has been wearing for a few seasons, at least), but we always had Jack. Now... I just don't know.

GameSpot: 24 Being Rebooted With a New Cast, No Jack Bauer; David Hayter Reacts
Update: Metal Gear Solid voice actor David Hayter, who is known for his role as Solid Snake, has reacted on Twitter to the news of Kiefer Sutherland not returning for the 24 reboot. David Hayter was replaced by Kiefer Sutherland in Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain, so he's in a unique position to comment.

Original Story: As was rumored last year, Fox is bringing 24 back, but with an all-new cast--meaning Kiefer Sutherland's Jack Bauer won't be included.

24: Legacy, as it'll be called, will follow the same basic format of the original series. That includes the real-time format where each episode covers a single hour of one day, split-screen camera shots, and presumably at least one traitor at the fictional Counter Terrorist Unit.

Legacy will tell the story of a military hero who comes back to the United States and has some kind of unspecified trouble following him. He turns to CTU "for help in saving his life, and stopping what potentially could be one of the largest-scale terror attacks on American soil," according to the press release.

At this point, Fox has only ordered the pilot episode, so it's possible the full series may not be picked up. Series veterans Howard Gordon, Manny Coto, and Evan Katz are all signed on as executive producers.

Fox CEO Gary Newman said last year that they would ideally get Sutherland back, but indicated that he was not interested in continuing the series.

"It isn't something he wants to do at this point, but he encouraged us to continue and look for a way to bring the show back," Newman said in August.

At the time, Newman didn't rule out the possibility of bringing back existing characters, but noted, "It would not surprise me if it's a total reset in terms of the characters."

According to Entertainment Weekly, Fox is looking to hire an African-American actor for the lead role. No one has been cast yet, but the search is happening now, with the pilot set to film this winter.

Following a four-year break after its eighth season, 24 returned in 2014 with the event series 24: Live Another Day. This followed the same real-time format and starred Sutherland, but the season spanned only 12 episodes, as opposed to the usual 24.

While the format was compelling, at least back when the show debuted in 2001, it was the character of Jack Bauer that proved to be the driving force behind the entire series. Whether it can stand out without him remains to be seen.

Update:

https://youtu.be/sOWpUB_Xdqs
Last edited by AirMcLaren on May 16, '16, 4:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @thechrismclaren
Battle.net: AirMcLaren#1687
Discord: AirMcLaren#6427

One-Shot
Management
Management
XBL: OneIShot
PSN: OnelShot
Steam: One-Shot

Re: 24 | Series Discussion

Jan 16, '16, 12:17am

Yeah I really do question a jackless 24. I really wish they would just do one more season with jack to wrap everything up once and for all, no cliffhangers, the end. That said I will still give this a chance.
"I don't know what it means to be the water man" - Colin Moriarty

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Jan 16, '16, 2:01am

I'm of two minds with this. One, that it's not going to be the same without Kiefer and his gravitas. and Two, it makes sense story wise because how many times can the same person get caught up in the day of hell. Ideally what I would love to see is for them to get a new high-profile actor each season, with a different story so it stays fresh. By Season 8 of 24, I was getting a little tired of the series and was happy when it ended. I was also happy about them bringing it back for one more run, but it would have been nice to really tie it all up.
► Show Spoiler

BluenoseGames
Producer
XBL: BluenoseGames
PSN: BluenoseGames

24 | Series Discussion

Jan 16, '16, 12:11pm

I was hoping Yvonne Strahovski would be in it if they ever continued it :( They set her character up perfectly to be the new Jack Bauer ... But anyway I guess i'll check this out whenever it airs in the UK.

LOL @ Hayters response.
"Why doesn't everyone just wear Iron Man Suits" - Colin 2016

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego

Jan 16, '16, 12:34pm

So much of my pull toward the series and continuing to watch wasn't because of the story. I was more interested in jack's character and how he changed over the course of the seasons. His IDGAF attitude when he
► Show Spoiler
was epic as all fuck. And it was a result of a build up of unimaginable stress for Jack. I really don't care at all what terrorist plot or mole situation is going on. Because, I agree with you, it's not plausible for the same person to have to do through all that shit. Or that a government agency like CTU continually has moles. I mean, who the fuck is in charge of hiring and background checks there?

I feel like I'm not properly expressing what I'm trying to say but hopefully you get it.

westcoaststyle
Seducer
XBL: westc0aststyle
PSN: demon__650

Jan 18, '16, 9:30am

Yep, 24 is probably my favorite TV series ever. I remember watching the pilot and watching because of Elisha Cuthbert. Season 1 was so great. And of course Season 5.

Not sure how I feel about an all-new cast. I still want to see Tony again, damnit. I know I'll give it a shot, though.

Twitch: Demon__650
Twitter: westcoaststyle

Mavryk
Management
Management

Jan 20, '16, 6:52am

I hope they manage to get all 24 episodes, 12 episodes wasn't enough.
► Show Spoiler

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego

Jan 20, '16, 8:22am

Seems like very few hour-long episode series go beyond 10-12 episodes these days. I think our attention spans have plummeted since the show was in its prime. Sucks, because the chronology was one of the hooks to the show and made it different. But I wouldn't want filler episodes, either. Those were the worst.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Jan 22, '16, 12:50am

AirMcLaren wrote:Seems like very few hour-long episode series go beyond 10-12 episodes these days. I think our attention spans have plummeted since the show was in its prime. Sucks, because the chronology was one of the hooks to the show and made it different. But I wouldn't want filler episodes, either. Those were the worst.

Definitely, but 24 usually had the midseason twist where a new story arc would take over at the end of the 12th hour so that it felt fresh and didn't require "filler" to stretch out the day.
► Show Spoiler

BluenoseGames
Producer

24 | Series Discussion

Jan 25, '16, 1:54pm

Corey Hawkins is about to experience the day from hell.

The Straight Outta Compton actor — who’s currently recurring on The Walking Dead as Heath — has landed the starring role in 24: Legacy, Fox’s in-the-works reboot of the seminal real-time thriller

Hawkins will portray Eric Carter, a strong and smart former Army Ranger who finds himself pulled back into action as his past comes looking for him.He eventually turns to CTU for help in saving his life and stopping what potentially could be one of the largest-scale terror attacks on American soil.

“There’s a time jump, a new organization, a completely different story,” Fox co-chairman and CEO Dana Walden teased last week. “It’s a contemporary story about the potential to activate sleeper cells in the United States. There are nods in the pilot to prior CTU agents, but no ongoing characters.”

http://tvline.com/2016/01/25/24-legacy- ... -fox-cast/

Dunno who the hell this guy is and definitely don't remember him being in The Walking Dead ...

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

Jan 25, '16, 2:08pm

It's Heath from The Walking Dead

He is a new character this season (or was? because I can't imagine him doing both shows)

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego

Jan 25, '16, 3:08pm

Ugh.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

24 | Series Discussion

Jan 25, '16, 5:15pm

Say what you want about Corey Hawkins, but I thought he did a fantastic job with Straight Outta Compton. I haven't seen him in anything else though. I think he has a lot of talent...with room for growth.

AirMcLaren
Greg's Ego

Jan 25, '16, 6:13pm

At least it's not Freddie Prinze Jr.

Goodrich
Seducer

Jan 25, '16, 8:05pm

Doubt I'll be watching this new show.. I agree that Jack made 24.
24 is a show that is really special to me, as weird as it sounds. It was something my dad, my brother, and I would watch every week(was it mondays? I forget now) from the first season to the last. But I agree, the story was sort of irrelevant, I was more interested in how far Jack would go or how Jack would solve the next situation. Although Tony was awesome, too.
PSN/XBL/Steam: Goodrichguy

Mavryk
Management
Management

Jan 25, '16, 8:27pm

I'll give it a go, but I'm not expecting anything from it.
► Show Spoiler

RollinRench
Unsung Hero
PSN: Rol545

Jan 25, '16, 9:04pm

Keifer made the show. Along with his interactions/relationships with the other characters. The series went on too long, but LAD was very solid. But they ended with that cliffhanger! I wish they had ended with an actual ending to Jack's story. So I do want to see more 24, but I want it to conclude Jack's story.

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

Jan 26, '16, 3:38am

Hayter should get the lead role.

BluenoseGames
Producer

24 | Series Discussion

Jan 27, '16, 3:41pm

Miranda Otto to Star in '24: Legacy' for Fox

The new take features an all-new cast of characters and will be structured in the same style of the original series. Legacy revolves around a military hero's (Corey Hawkins, Straight Outta Compton) return to the U.S. and the trouble that follows him back — compelling him to ask CTU for help in saving his life, and stopping what potentially could be one of the largest-scale terror attacks on American soil.
Otto will star as Rebecca Ingram, the blazing smart former head of CTU. Now married to Sen. John Donovan (not yet cast), she struggles with second thoughts about having left the counter-terrorism agency.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... acy-859900

Looks like we're getting a lot of news. Is this going to air this year?

Mavryk
Management
Management

Jan 28, '16, 12:32am

Id imagine it's going to start october-ish with the start of the next TV season.
► Show Spoiler

Return to “TV Series”