Anoyster

Black Sails [Spoilers]

Feb 21, '16, 12:52pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX4wSCJIzsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMSoo4B2hFU

Ahoy mateys! Just finished watching the latest episode (5th of the 3rd season) and had to make a thread for this fine piece of television. I highly encourage everybody who hasn't to check the series out, extremely high quality production with somewhat of a Deadwood type feel to the presentation but I really wouldn't call it "like [insert big popular series] but with pirates" as many do because it's its own beast. As I pointed out the show has reached its half way point in the third season and I believe a fourth season is already greenlit and in pre-production. The first season is probably the weakest as it is more laying out the ground work for the entire series and figuring out the tone and characters but it's still good stuff. The second and the third season this far have both been amazing and I have no trouble placing this show among the very best running shows despite the golden age of television that we are in so the standards are high. The show is actually a prequel to the book "Treasure Island", a very well known and influential piece of literature so for the people who are familiar with that property have some extra fun with the show, spotting famous characters mixed with real pirates from yesteryear in a hybrid telling of history and fiction.

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

Re: Black Sails

Feb 22, '16, 5:24am

I recently got back in to it and all caught up.

RespawnUK
Seducer
PSN: RespawnUK
Steam: Respawn.uK

Feb 22, '16, 7:46am

i just came here to say that my dyslexia made me read the topic as "Ball Sacks"

Need a sig or gif designed? click here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5521

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

Feb 22, '16, 9:16am

RespawnUK wrote:i just came here to say that my dyslexia made me read the topic as "Ball Sacks"

portilloDismissed

alliewinkler
Producer

Feb 25, '16, 7:49am

RespawnUK wrote:i just came here to say that my dyslexia made me read the topic as "Ball Sacks"
portilloX

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Mar 01, '16, 3:27am

I feel like this show doesn't get the recognition is deserves. The second season was my favourite TV show from last year (up there with Man In The High Castle & Mr Robot) and the third season this year has been just as good.

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Mar 04, '16, 6:05pm

I love this show, and I don't really know why. I remember this show started soon after Assassins Creed Black Flag was released and I had a hard time seeing characters like Vane, Rackham and Anne in such a different light. But the cinematography is awesome, pretty much movie quality, and the political intrigue between the Pirate captains and Nassau is fantastic to watch.
► Show Spoiler

Mavryk
Management
Management

Mar 06, '16, 4:11am

Another great episode. There was a very interesting quote in this episode "There are only villains in Nassau", which something I never really considered before. Yes I know they're Pirates, but I can relate to them more than the English, so realistically this show is all about the villains. Perhaps shows like Gotham should take notes on how to do a great villains show without making it obvious.
► Show Spoiler

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mar 06, '16, 5:00am

Mavryk wrote:Another great episode. There was a very interesting quote in this episode "There are only villains in Nassau", which something I never really considered before. Yes I know they're Pirates, but I can relate to them more than the English, so realistically this show is all about the villains. Perhaps shows like Gotham should take notes on how to do a great villains show without making it obvious.

I haven't watched it yet, I've stockpiled a weeks worth of Black Sails, Vikings, Better Call Saul & Brooklyn Nine Nine in attempt to help pass time later in the run up to The Division launching. But anyway, the show definitely does a great job of making the pirates the 'heroes' of the show so to speak whilst portraying the good guys (England & Spain) as the villains. Since its a show about the pirates though I guess you'd expect that, like you said its just not something you generally think about whilst watching.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Mar 06, '16, 5:45am

SorryWeAre0_o wrote:I haven't watched it yet, I've stockpiled a weeks worth of Black Sails, Vikings, Better Call Saul & Brooklyn Nine Nine in attempt to help pass time later in the run up to The Division launching. But anyway, the show definitely does a great job of making the pirates the 'heroes' of the show so to speak whilst portraying the good guys (England & Spain) as the villains. Since its a show about the pirates though I guess you'd expect that, like you said its just not something you generally think about whilst watching.

Exactly! None of them are good, but I still really want these guys to succeed... or atleast survive. Even someone like Vane who started out as an animal has become an enjoyably character with very little change to the character.
► Show Spoiler

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mar 21, '16, 6:36pm

Just watched this weeks episode, I know the character was sacrificed for the greater good, but I'm going to miss them. I more gutted about this character leaving a show than anything I can remember of late in GoT, it doesn't carry any weight when they knock people off left, right and centre imo.

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

Mar 21, '16, 7:23pm

Can't believe they just did that.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Mar 22, '16, 3:24am

Well... I guess that proves that they aren't sticking to historical records lol
► Show Spoiler

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

Mar 22, '16, 4:08am

Mavryk wrote:Well... I guess that proves that they aren't sticking to historical records lol

► Show Spoiler

Mavryk
Management
Management

Mar 22, '16, 4:59am

Jay wrote:
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Anoyster

Black Sails

Mar 22, '16, 5:37am

Last edited by Anoyster on Sep 10, '17, 5:46am, edited 1 time in total.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Black Sails

Mar 23, '16, 12:21am

Anoyster wrote:
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

Mar 23, '16, 6:58am

Can we just add spoilers to the title of the thread. lol.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Mar 23, '16, 11:38pm

Jay wrote:Can we just add spoilers to the title of the thread. lol.

Good idea... I don't think many people will check out this thread without being up to date with the show anyway.
► Show Spoiler

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

Mar 24, '16, 4:44am

Mavryk wrote:
Jay wrote:Can we just add spoilers to the title of the thread. lol.

Good idea... I don't think many people will check out this thread without being up to date with the show anyway.

I think once the OP uses spoiler tags it should probably be changed in to a spoiler thread. lol.

Return to “TV Series”