MyFeetHurt
Best Friend
Position/Title: Forum Browser.

Re: The Anime Thread

Dec 02, '16, 12:00pm

How would one go about watching Full Metal Alchemist? Start with Brotherhood or watch the original first?

Deathtone
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Dec 02, '16, 12:22pm

MyFeetHurt wrote:How would one go about watching Full Metal Alchemist? Start with Brotherhood or watch the original first?

i suggest the original first. As Brotherhood skips over parts of the manga as they were in the original.
Have a suggestion for Poll of the Week? Then p.m. me your suggestion!

Discord: deathtone#4863
Movie Collection: http://deathtoneaenima.filmaf.com/owned
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... /deathtone
► Show Spoiler

MyFeetHurt
Best Friend

Dec 02, '16, 12:39pm

Deathtone wrote:
MyFeetHurt wrote:How would one go about watching Full Metal Alchemist? Start with Brotherhood or watch the original first?

i suggest the original first. As Brotherhood skips over parts of the manga as they were in the original.

Thanks. I'll try to do that relatively soon. I've always wanted to watch it.

LordHirai
Best Friend
PSN: Conl_1998

Dec 02, '16, 2:14pm

MyFeetHurt wrote:
Deathtone wrote:

Thanks. I'll try to do that relatively soon. I've always wanted to watch it.

Do it whatever way you prefer but I respectfully disagree, if you don't have much time then I'd say Brotherhood all the way, the plot is a lot better as is the pacing. But like I said whatever you wanna do. Just giving an opinion from the other side.
YouTube search"Picture This band" great music, not my band just a fan.

MyFeetHurt
Best Friend

Dec 03, '16, 1:39pm

I'm going to watch both of them. I just wanted to know which I should watch first.

zerofire2905
Best Friend

Dec 04, '16, 7:19am

I just see 4 anime
1. Dargonball
2. One Piece
3. Naruto [end]
4. One punch man [ so funny]
Road to 1MMR player Dota 2 FingerBang
Ultimate Banner Plugin review

Wildblood
PSN: Danaxus82

Dec 06, '16, 3:43am

Deathtone wrote:

I second that. The OG series spends more time on various arcs, gives better introductions to characters, and includes important details which enhance the story. Brotherhood rushed through the early material and as a result, feels like a cold summary more than an engaging story. LordHirai says that he feels the pacing of Brotherhood is better. I understand and accept that of course - his opinion is every bit as valid as my own, however I personally feel the exact opposite. the OG series had superior pacing and gives characters the time and attention they deserve.

As I'm sure you know, the OG series and Brotherhood start by covering the exact same material, and the story is identical in each. After a point however, the stories diverge. So, my personal recommendation is this: Watch the OG in its entirety. When you're done, watch through Brotherhood, skipping the early episodes. Everything covered by Brotherhood is also covered by the OG series, so you won't be missing out on anything. However the OG has additional plot and context that Brotherhood doesn't. If you start with Brotherhood, you'll be missing out on stuff.

Kozibear
Unsung Hero
PSN: kozinawesome
NNID: Kozinawesome

Anime and Fanservice

Dec 06, '16, 6:31pm

Hey guys. Recently, an article on Kotaku, in which Cecilia D'Anastasio discusses fan service in anime and why it's not easy to flippant say it's all problematic, caught my attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyVKK87hYYM

I've been thinking over the content of the article, and honestly, I find myself incredibly conflicted. On one hand, I would say that I've definitely become more and more aware of, and critical towards, characters being objectified in anime than I have in the past. Back then, I could just ignore or let it pass me by without a second thought; now, unless it's meant to parody or be a commentary on fan service, or the whole "point" of the anime is that it's unabashed fan service (like Kill la Kill for the former, or Monster Musume for the latter), I can't see a shot of a female character being sexualized in some way without a niggling voice at the back of my mind going "ugh, did they have to include that shot?"

And yet...I would argue that part of the reason I got into anime in the first place, is specifically because of how puritanical american cartoons are. Let me explain: I'm not saying that Young Justice needs to have a dozen jiggling boobies, or Adventure Time needs 500% more panty shots in order to be more interesting; rather, I just find that overall attitude that American cartoons take towards everything that falls under the umbrella of "sex and sexuality" is that they basically don't exist - and I find that to be frustrating, and hard to relate to (there are exceptions, of course, but those are my general impressions). By comparison, I really appreciate how open Japanese animation is to featuring these sorts of topics - even if it occasionally manifests itself in ways that I find harder to stomach as I get more mature(?)

What are your thoughts?

! Message from: Deathtone
merged thread
I blog about things sometimes, as people my age do.
Check out these bloggings here!

Itsmajorpanda
Portillo's Mouth Noises
PSN: Itsmajorpanda
NNID: Itscolonelpanda

The Anime Thread

Dec 07, '16, 3:47am

Has anyone in here seen the entirety of Hunter X Hunter 2011? I just finished that up not too long ago and it is fucking fantastic! I wish the creator would write more of the manga because 148 episodes was not enough for me!
Last edited by Itsmajorpanda on Dec 07, '16, 3:50am, edited 1 time in total.

Deathtone

Anime and Fanservice

Dec 07, '16, 3:49am

Kozibear wrote:Notify

I brought this up before. It normally comes from poorly written anime I find. I don't mind as long as it has a point.

► Show Spoiler

Wildblood

Anime and Fanservice

Dec 07, '16, 4:33am

Kozibear wrote:<post>

I find the whole obsession with sexual objectification to be very...American. I have tried to understand why sex and sexism is singled out in the US...my best guess is that it's some religious throwback.

I have no problem with fanservice. Let content-creators do whatever they want, especially with animated fictional characters. That's not to say I don't find fanservice annoying at times - ex. poorly timed fanservice can break the narrative flow or lessen the drama. Other times it can provide much-needed relief (similar to how comic relief does).

I suppose I am mostly annoyed with the fanservice complaints because I find them to be hypocritical. People objectify each other all the damn time. People associate attributes to other every day. For me looking at a woman and thinking "boobs!", looking at an actor speaking and thinking "valuable source of political news!", or looking at honey boo-boo and thinking "shitty people", are all equivalent.

Or to give more direct examples - how is fanservice practically different than airbrushing in a magazine, or perfect gentlemen in Hollywood romcoms? They all project unrealistic images that cater to our base desires. Yet, we draw the line at nudity. Fictional violence on a scale far beyond what 99.999% will ever witness is totally ok, but God forbid you show someone a fictional representation of a naked human - something that plenty of adults see on a daily basis.

TL;DR: Fan-service is fine with me. People tunnel-visioning on the negatives of fan-service...scares the crap out of me.

Tardis1982
Baller

The Anime Thread

Dec 07, '16, 9:14am

I can never get into Anime unless its in English like DBZ or Robotech. I have a hard time paying attention to what is happening if I have to read the whole time.
PSN Tardis632
XBL Figment632
NID Tardis1982
STM Tardis1982

MyFeetHurt
Best Friend

Dec 07, '16, 10:16am

I can either take it or leave it when it comes to fan service. As long as it's not excessive.

greenseven
Best Friend

The Anime Thread

Dec 13, '16, 12:40am

do anyone here watches drifters? :kinda

MyFeetHurt
Best Friend

Dec 14, '16, 5:23pm

opinons on light novels? recommendations?

Wildblood

The Anime Thread

Dec 15, '16, 2:19am

Itsmajorpanda wrote:Has anyone in here seen the entirety of Hunter X Hunter 2011? I just finished that up not too long ago and it is fucking fantastic! I wish the creator would write more of the manga because 148 episodes was not enough for me!

I haven't gotten round to see the entirety of the 2011 anime. I've seen the 1999 series which was incredible though.

Deathtone

The Anime Thread

Dec 16, '16, 1:23pm

https://youtu.be/J4vF4LDRrpo

Former Studio Ghibli director Hiromasa Yonebayashi has released the trailer for his new project, Mary and the Witch's Flower.

The director, best known for his work on Arrietty and When Marnie Was There, left Ghibli around the end of 2014. For his new film, he’s teaming up with another former Studio Ghibli producer, Yoshiaki Nishimura at Nishimura’s new production company, Studio Ponoc.

Edit

https://youtu.be/fx-g24ZtMZ4

► Show Spoiler

LoneBrightRaven
Best Friend
PSN: janedoe_converge

The Anime Thread

Dec 21, '16, 7:16pm

Sup,
Anime is great but I still consider myself a noob. I really do believe that this stuff has lots soul and love put into it, ESPECIALLY THE MUSIC!!

The only stuff that I have seen are:
Fullmetal Alchemist and Brotherhood
Black Butler I and II (my personal Favorite) including Book of Circus and Murder part 1 and 2
Knights of Sidonia
and as I am typing I can't remember the rest......

Right now I am watching Sword Art Online and Bleach. With Bleach however, I kind of want to hold that off cause I was reading the Manga at my Jobs library.
I want to check others out but they are on my Netflix list so ill figure it out.

So yah this stuff is great I appreciate all the aspects of it and I own the fact that I watch this stuff.

Sincerely,
BrightRaven

P.S. I just remembered that i also finished Death Note.......lololololololololol

MyFeetHurt
Best Friend

Dec 22, '16, 11:18am

Just watched the first episode of Bakemonogatari and now my head is exploding with a migraine. wtf was that?

BluDevDog
Pure One

Dec 22, '16, 7:21pm

MyFeetHurt wrote:Just watched the first episode of Bakemonogatari and now my head is exploding with a migraine. wtf was that?

I think Bakemonogatari is one of those anime that make way more sense if you are Japanese and/or familiar with Japanese language and culture. There seem to be a lot of "inside" jokes so to speak, which may go right over your head if you don't know Japanese culture.

On a different note, anyone got anything in particular they're looking forward to for Winter season? Anything that anyone would suggest taking a look at based on source material?

I don't really know much about many of the shows coming up. I guess Fuuka is interesting since I enjoyed Suzuka and Kimi no Iru Machi (both by the same author). Seiren also, since I enjoyed some of Amagami SS, though not sure about the omnibus format.