Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

American Gods | Season 1 | Spoilers

Jul 22, '16, 5:29pm

Last edited by Jay on Jul 23, '16, 8:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Re: American Gods

Jul 22, '16, 6:13pm

Looking good
We don’t go balls to the wall, we go nuts to butts.

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Re: American Gods (Spoilers!)

Jul 31, '16, 7:35pm

Interesting concept, but I really don't like the execution in this trailer so I am going to give this one a miss.
► Show Spoiler

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

Re: American Gods (Spoilers!)

Aug 01, '16, 11:15am

Mavryk wrote:Interesting concept, but I really don't like the execution in this trailer so I am going to give this one a miss.

Ian McShane though. His presence alone makes this worth watching.

darwinfeeshy

Re: American Gods | Pre-Launch | Spoilers

Aug 19, '16, 4:54am

I love American Gods, but I don't trust Hollywood to make a faithful adaption of it. I will remain very cautiously optimistic.

CallSignStarbucks
Producer

May 14, '17, 9:25pm

Not surprised anyone has updated this thread since it's been buried but what are people's thoughts on the show so far?

Personally I'm really enjoying it, but I've also read the book. I wonder how people who haven't read the book feel about it's glacier like pace.

Mavryk
Management
Management

May 15, '17, 5:29am

CallSignStarbucks wrote:Not surprised anyone has updated this thread since it's been buried but what are people's thoughts on the show so far?

Personally I'm really enjoying it, but I've also read the book. I wonder how people who haven't read the book feel about it's glacier like pace.

Apparently I forgot I was going to give this one a miss from my previous comment lol.

I've watched the first three episodes, and I haven't read the book, so my grasp on what's going on is really limited. I know it's about the Old gods who migrated with their people to America vs the New gods taking over but beyond that my knowledge is limited. I find the sub "somewhere in America" stories interesting but confusing as to where they fit in the main story. Are they introductions to characters that will play into the story later? Or are they just short stories that build out the world? Either way I am kinda hooked by the over-arching story that I believe is coming, the actors, the quality way the show is shot and produced, but I really could do with more context as to whats happening. I'm just glad I'm not Shadow, because he's got even less information than we do and he's already seen some strange shit.
► Show Spoiler

The_Almighty_Foofy
Baller
XBL: A 2Piece Combo
PSN: PhantomPain20xx
NNID: SW-5606-2665-3891
Steam: atomic_pingas

May 15, '17, 5:34am

CallSignStarbucks wrote:Not surprised anyone has updated this thread since it's been buried but what are people's thoughts on the show so far?

Read the book and I'm loving this adaptation thus far. The casting has just felt spot on at every point, including Ian McShane as Mr. Wednesday who just nails his mannerisms and quips. I worry that as the story progresses and gets more into deeper, philosophical points, it might alienate some casual fans who haven't read the book. So far though, its full steam ahead for this show.

I also appreciate the balance of nudity in this. Usually for shows on premium cable channels, they have no problem showing off boobs but frankly, I've seen more dicks than tits in this and honestly, its refreshing to see the shoe on the other foot.
"It's easy to tell the difference between right and wrong. What's hard is choosing the wrong that's more right."

"Ore wa Gundam da"

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Re: American Gods | Season 1 | Spoilers

May 15, '17, 5:59am

Watched the first two episodes so far. I really like the concept, the acting and production values are pretty stellar, but I feel it's a bit of a slow burner. Each episode is ~50 minutes long and I feel they could be at least a good 10 minutes shorter. Hoping the pace picks up a bit.

CallSignStarbucks
Producer

May 15, '17, 7:38am

Mavryk wrote: I find the sub "somewhere in America" stories interesting but confusing as to where they fit in the main story. Are they introductions to characters that will play into the story later? Or are they just short stories that build out the world?

They're the latter. I do believe they show up late in the story, like very late (so it could be seasons from now) if I remember correctly. But for now they're mostly world building about how the Old Gods don't really have a place anymore.

If you remember, in the first episode in the diner, Wednesday was talking to the Djinn. He was wearing the salesman's suit too.

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

May 15, '17, 5:39pm

Just watched episode 3, my favourite yet. Feels like it's beginning to find it's groove.

Mavryk
Management
Management

May 15, '17, 7:03pm

CallSignStarbucks wrote:They're the latter. I do believe they show up late in the story, like very late (so it could be seasons from now) if I remember correctly. But for now they're mostly world building about how the Old Gods don't really have a place anymore.

If you remember, in the first episode in the diner, Wednesday was talking to the Djinn. He was wearing the salesman's suit too.

Actually I did miss that connection. Thanks!
► Show Spoiler

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

May 22, '17, 6:50pm

This weeks episode was the best one yet. The show is starting to move up in my list of favourites at the moment.

Mavryk
Management
Management

Jun 04, '17, 3:31am

Vane wrote:This weeks episode was the best one yet. The show is starting to move up in my list of favourites at the moment.

I'm glad they spent the entire episode explaining what happened rather than glossing over it.
► Show Spoiler

Return to “TV Series”