Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

Re: Iron Fist Release Date Announced

Feb 07, '17, 12:54pm

Similar to Arrow (then again most super heroes have a similar origin story) and it will probably not suck as much ass as Arrow does right now. That show doesn't even know what it is anymore.

Justintime
Best Friend

Iron Fist Release Date Announced

Feb 07, '17, 6:11pm

I recently finished Luke Cage after putting it off for a while. I liked it alot but didn't finish it as fast as Daredevil. And I finished Jessica Jones in one night. Iron Fist looks like the first season of Arrow when Oliver comes back to his dad's company from his shipwreck. Did anyone else think that or just me?

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

Feb 08, '17, 4:47am

Justintime wrote:I recently finished Luke Cage after putting it off for a while. I liked it alot but didn't finish it as fast as Daredevil. And I finished Jessica Jones in one night. Iron Fist looks like the first season of Arrow when Oliver comes back to his dad's company from his shipwreck. Did anyone else think that or just me?

It does but most super heroes have a similar origin. Pretty much all of them lose parents for example. The origin doesn't matter so much to me, it's more about what they do once he is back. Also, it'll have a much bigger budget than Arrow and hopefully not suck as much and not pander to the fans.

Deathtone
Pride of the Forums
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Mar 08, '17, 11:23am

Mid season reviews are coming out.... Doesn't look good...

Here’s a few excerpts:

” [Iron Fist] feels like a step backward on every level, a major disappointment that already suffers from storytelling issues through the first six episodes made available to critics and would probably be mercifully skippable in its entirety if it weren’t the bridge into the long awaited Defenders crossover series… Through six episodes, in addition to failing to introduce a main character I care about at all, Iron Fist hasn’t given me any season-long arc/objective that I could describe for you, much less one I’m curious to see resolved — and that’s before it hits that wall between episodes seven and 12 that none of the Marvel shows has been immune to.”: THR

“Not one element of this plodding piece works. The action scenes lack spark, snap, and originality. None of the flat, by-the-numbers characters makes any lasting impression. And as origin stories go, the tale of Danny Rand (Finn Jones), at least as rendered by this creative team, is about as exciting as a slice of Velveeta cheese left out in the sun too long. It takes forever for anything to happen on “Iron Fist,” and as it stumbles along, the uninspired production design, unexceptional cinematography, and painful dialogue fail to distract the viewer from the overall lack of depth, detail, or momentum.”: Variety

“The sad truth, however, is that Iron Fist is the weakest of Marvel’s Netflix series to date. As far as diversity, representation, and appropriation go, the series fails in a number of ways. But, over the course of its first six episodes, it also manages to fall short on basic levels like storytelling. Its creative laziness bankrupts the entire show. Marvel’s new series is a disappointing case study in studios needing to try harder to tell difficult stories well.”: The Verge

“While this high-rise approach does set Iron Fist apart from the other, grittier and more urban Marvel-Netflix series, it also lends the show a sterile look and feel. Again, it’s all very prime time soap opera-ish. The latter of these first six episodes eventually brings in more comic book-y and fun elements, but Iron Fist is thus far the weakest of the Marvel-Netflix series.”: IGN

“The fact that both Danny (Finn Jones) and Colleen (Jessica Henwick) aren’t good at talking should be no sin for the genre. The problem is that Iron Fist is virtually all talk — most of it painfully dull — and the fighting is both brief and unconvincing. It’s easily the worst of the Netflix Marvel shows — where the others tend to start off well and then run into massive pacing problems around episode 8 or 9, Iron Fist begins as if it’s already at that sag point — and an unfortunate illustration of the perils of miscasting.”: Uproxx

“I fully expected Iron Fist to be a decent adaptation ultimately hobbled by an unwillingness to stray too far from its dated source material… And let me be clear: Iron Fist’s problems with its portrayal of Asian cultures and Asian-Americans are embedded throughout every episode. It’s just that its problems with delivering exposition, crafting consistent characters, and even basic dialogue writing run right alongside.”: Polygon

We don’t go balls to the wall, we go nuts to butts.

JJGee
Baller
PSN: Night-MareW
Steam: JJGee

Mar 08, '17, 11:28am

I'll be honest, I wasn't interested in this show to begin with. I was over the whole superhero trend by the time Jessica Jones came out (I still watched that though, partly because David Tennant), and I have never found the character itself to be that interesting in the first place. Still, it's a pity that the show doesn't seem to be very good, for those that were interested.

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Mar 08, '17, 11:44am

I'll still watch, tho. I liked the trailers, and the Netflix/Marvel shows haven't let me down, yet.
Here's hoping.

BuffArms
Baller

Mar 08, '17, 11:58am

So the action is a little boring, well so was the action in Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones, and most of Daredevil. Okay, that is normal for a Marvel show. Same with the extended talking that often sucks. This isn't new.

So whats the real reason for these reviews... oh right leftwing SJW outlets crying about cultural appropriation because they didn't race change the character. Which is why they make it so prominent in their reviews. Just look at this Polygon one, where they go full retard with the politics. "I thought it was going to be racist, and its so racist, and on top of that it just sucks" - Polygon.

These media outlets are a total joke.
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Mar 08, '17, 3:11pm

Hmm.....I guess this kind of makes sense? People got excited about the announcement but the talk and banter going into the show's release has been nothing compared to the other Marvel series.

I'm still going to watch the show and give it a fair shot. I don't have the same affinity for Iron Fist like I did the other characters, so I'm not as excited about it.

BetoJR
Baller

Mar 09, '17, 4:31am

Now, if they ever did a Shang Chi show... That would definitely explode the internet. Hands down.

Jay
Nick's Magnificent Beard

Mar 10, '17, 4:31am

Critics are fucking hypocrites. They are calling Iron Fist racist because he knows Martial Arts and isn't Asian. wut?

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Mar 10, '17, 8:28am

There was an interview w/ the actress who is one of the leads, Jessica Henwich not too long ago. In it she said she was conflicted on whether to take on the role b/c it casts her as an Asian and knowing martial arts. She was worried it would lead to typecasting, etc.

But it got me to think, and its this: The studio cannot win in this situation -- no matter what.

IF you cast an actress of Asian descent for the role -- then are you typecasting. If no actresses of Asian descent want the role, you cast a non-Asian -- you are "white washing" the roles. (Reminds me of the issue they had w/ Dr. Strange and "the Ancient")

I guess I just don't see anyway for there not to be a controversy.

PS: I haven't seen good reviews either -- but I'm going to try this radical thing: see it for myself. I'm going into it with no expectations, and we'll see what I think after.
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

Sanjiv
Producer
PSN: Sanjiv333

Mar 12, '17, 5:15am

BedaHouse wrote:But it got me to think, and its this: The studio cannot win in this situation -- no matter what.

IF you cast an actress of Asian descent for the role -- then are you typecasting. If no actresses of Asian descent want the role, you cast a non-Asian -- you are "white washing" the roles. (Reminds me of the issue they had w/ Dr. Strange and "the Ancient")

I guess I just don't see anyway for there not to be a controversy.

PS: I haven't seen good reviews either -- but I'm going to try this radical thing: see it for myself. I'm going into it with no expectations, and we'll see what I think after.

I couldn't agree more. Regardless of the negative word of mouth I'm still going to check this out, the Marvel Netflix shows have been pretty solid and I want to see the build up to the Defenders. If anything I have low expectations now which I think is a good thing.

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Mar 13, '17, 4:46am

I'm hoping it's the hype for The Defenders that is overshadowing Iron Fist. Putting aside all the casting issues, as it's clear that no matter what they would never have gotten it right from an outside perspective, I feel that people have seen the Super-hero team up in production photo's and Iron Fist himself is pretty much re-trodden ground from the Batman Origin story and Arrow. That being said, I didn't think Luke Cage needed his own show either, and it was still a great show. Was LC comparable to Daredevil or JJ as a story? Not really, but from a production value it was still vastly better than any of the current DC shows. I feel Iron Fist will be the same, a completely different tone and feel to the other three shows, while still being of high quality. I really hope that there isn't a season 2, and they combine Luke Cage and Iron Fists story together.
► Show Spoiler

danielthamior
Pure One

Mar 13, '17, 7:21pm

Jay wrote:Similar to Arrow (then again most super heroes have a similar origin story) and it will probably not suck as much ass as Arrow does right now. That show doesn't even know what it is anymore.

Right??! The first 2 seasons were great but after that the show just lost it's shit D:

Now, about Iron Fist... I honestly don't care what the critics say, I just watch/read reviews to see what the people are thinking about the product. I love Danny Rand, I think he is a really great character and deserves a chance even if the critics don't like it. ^^
Ps: Sorry for my English! If I write something wrong, please correct me!! SeemsGood
If you want to add me on Facebook/Twitter, message me :D

Mavryk
Management
Management

Mar 16, '17, 5:35am

danielthamior wrote:Now, about Iron Fist... I honestly don't care what the critics say, I just watch/read reviews to see what the people are thinking about the product. I love Danny Rand, I think he is a really great character and deserves a chance even if the critics don't like it. ^^

I'm avoiding reading as much as I can, so it doesn't taint my viewing experience. I think once the show is out in the wild people will be fine with the casting. I think it should only have been an issue IF they changed the characters race (or gender for that matter), but seeing as he was white in the comics, there's no reason why he can't be white now. It's not white washing, or ignoring diversity, it's keeping true to the artists original vision which I respect. My biggest issue with the casting is that they chose the Knight of Flowers from Game of Thrones, as nothing in the actors performance from that show makes me think of a mystical Kung-Fu legend. But casting up until this point has been pretty spot on for the Netflix shows, so I'm going to assume he has a broader range than GoT allowed him to show off.
► Show Spoiler

BetoJR
Baller

Re: Iron Fist

Mar 16, '17, 5:46am

And no one complains that they changed Colleen Wing from a redhead to an asian, in the TV series, do they? Don't mind me, I'm not complaining, either.

:kinda

danielthamior
Pure One

Mar 16, '17, 7:32pm

Mavryk wrote:
danielthamior wrote:Now, about Iron Fist... I honestly don't care what the critics say, I just watch/read reviews to see what the people are thinking about the product. I love Danny Rand, I think he is a really great character and deserves a chance even if the critics don't like it. ^^

I'm avoiding reading as much as I can, so it doesn't taint my viewing experience. I think once the show is out in the wild people will be fine with the casting. I think it should only have been an issue IF they changed the characters race (or gender for that matter), but seeing as he was white in the comics, there's no reason why he can't be white now. It's not white washing, or ignoring diversity, it's keeping true to the artists original vision which I respect. My biggest issue with the casting is that they chose the Knight of Flowers from Game of Thrones, as nothing in the actors performance from that show makes me think of a mystical Kung-Fu legend. But casting up until this point has been pretty spot on for the Netflix shows, so I'm going to assume he has a broader range than GoT allowed him to show off.

Yeah,I totally agree. If the character was new and white it would be something, but staying true to the comics it's an all different thing. And about Finn Jones, I liked him on GoT as Loras (watching some interviews with him and comparing to his version of Loras shows that he is a good actor). If his acting in Iron Fist is good as he was in Got, + kick some ass with kung fu portilloHulkamania , i'm totally fine with it. ^^
Ps: Sorry for my English! If I write something wrong, please correct me!! SeemsGood

Mavryk
Management
Management

Mar 16, '17, 7:57pm

danielthamior wrote:Yeah,I totally agree. If the character was new and white it would be something, but staying true to the comics it's an all different thing. And about Finn Jones, I liked him on GoT as Loras (watching some interviews with him and comparing to his version of Loras shows that he is a good actor). If his acting in Iron Fist is good as he was in Got, + kick some ass with kung fu portilloHulkamania , i'm totally fine with it. ^^

Yeah exactly, if he was a brand new character, or if they were "whitewashing" then I could kinda get behind the anger. Danny Rand is white in most interpretations of the character, so there is no reason why he shouldn't be white in this, especially if he's surrounded by an Asian cast. Did people have this much outcry against Stephen Amell being the Green Arrow as a white man? As it's essentially the same thing. Most people have an issue with his lack of goatee than the actors race. The only way I can get behind changing an establish characters race/gender is when it's a new character taking on the superhero identity, like the new Thor, the new Iron Man, or Miles Morales as Spider-Man. And it sounds, from what I know about the character, that the Iron Fist can be passed onto others, so in the future they could do it. But right now they want to use the Danny Rand character, which is fine.
► Show Spoiler

danielthamior
Pure One

Mar 16, '17, 8:06pm

Mavryk wrote:
danielthamior wrote:Yeah,I totally agree. If the character was new and white it would be something, but staying true to the comics it's an all different thing. And about Finn Jones, I liked him on GoT as Loras (watching some interviews with him and comparing to his version of Loras shows that he is a good actor). If his acting in Iron Fist is good as he was in Got, + kick some ass with kung fu portilloHulkamania , i'm totally fine with it. ^^

Yeah exactly, if he was a brand new character, or if they were "whitewashing" then I could kinda get behind the anger. Danny Rand is white in most interpretations of the character, so there is no reason why he shouldn't be white in this, especially if he's surrounded by an Asian cast. Did people have this much outcry against Stephen Amell being the Green Arrow as a white man? As it's essentially the same thing. Most people have an issue with his lack of goatee than the actors race. The only way I can get behind changing an establish characters race/gender is when it's a new character taking on the superhero identity, like the new Thor, the new Iron Man, or Miles Morales as Spider-Man. And it sounds, from what I know about the character, that the Iron Fist can be passed onto others, so in the future they could do it. But right now they want to use the Danny Rand character, which is fine.

Yeah, totally! And honestly, I'm positive that Marvel will "pass the mantle" with some characters in the near future, specially the most expensive actors like Chris Evans, Chris Hammsworth and Tony Stark Robert Downey Jr. It's just a matter of time and staying true to the comics, people like to complain without reading a single comic book.

BetoJR
Baller

Re: Iron Fist

Mar 17, '17, 4:45am

Saw the first two episodes and... I'm totally cool with it. Loved Colleen, the fights don't look off or too staged (really, the critics complained about those?) and the soap-opera feel of the series doesn't really offend me. C'mon, corporate stooges really offend people, every TV series has to be only about poor and oppressed people, now? I'm all for more diversity, but this is a TV series, guys... I'd think people would be more offended about the mental illness aspects or something.

:kinda

I'm down with it. Gonna keep watching.

Return to “TV Series”