Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

The Wage Gap | Equal Pay Day

Apr 05, '17, 9:12am

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

AirMcLaren
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: AirMcLaren

Re: The Wage Gap | Equal Pay Day

Apr 05, '17, 9:33am

Wikipedia:
Equal Pay Day is the symbolic day dedicated to raising awareness of the gender pay gap. The date for 2017 is April 4 in the United States.

That's too bad. The day would be much better served to educate the population that the Gender Wage Gap does not exist, as advertised.
Twitter: @thechrismclaren
Battle.net: AirMcLaren#1687
Discord: AirMcLaren#6427

Brotherhood93
Greg's Ego
PSN: M_O_T1919

Apr 05, '17, 10:22am

I don't know anything about the "wage gap" in the US but I know in the UK there's some misleading statistics about what men and women get paid. I've seen Colin tweeting about it being a myth in the US so I'm guessing it's something similar though calling it a myth, if it is the same, would be somewhat misleading too.

On an unrelated note, is it just me that thinks this doesn't make grammatical sense? "Compared with white men, African American and Hispanic women make even less than white momen"

AirMcLaren
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Apr 05, '17, 10:37am

Brotherhood93 wrote:is it just me that thinks this doesn't make grammatical sense? "Compared with white men, African American and Hispanic women make even less than white momen"

I think it makes sense, but it could be worded better.

It's saying that the "gap" between men and women is even larger if you compare men to minority women. So, then, there would be an additional gap between white women and minority women.

But, again, they're using flawed statistics that don't prove what they claim it to prove.
Twitter: @thechrismclaren
Battle.net: AirMcLaren#1687
Discord: AirMcLaren#6427

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Apr 05, '17, 11:01am

I think for me its less...woman get paid less in the same field as they aren't give the same chances to make as much

Has there ever been a female CEO of Disney? Why aren't there more female directors? And so on, its not like now of days woman aren't given the education to get these jobs but are they given the chance to work these jobs? Not as much as men

I'm not saying hand these jobs to woman but they need to be given the chance to show they can work hard to thats all

BuffArms
Baller

Apr 05, '17, 11:13am

I liked this story from the LA Times on it. Which is odd as usually they are so far left that I can't stand them. But for once told the truth about the pay gap and specifically explain how women are in lower paying jobs, women ask for less money, and that "one hard-to-quantify factor at play could be discrimination." but that hasn't actually been proven. They even link to studies!

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-e ... story.html
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator
Steam: Frostilyte

Apr 05, '17, 11:23am

All the women I work with get paid more than I do, so do I get a day too?
Frost-Tea-Light
BattleNet: Frostilyte#1183

Chaz
Pride of the Forums
PSN: Maulsaber
NNID: Maulsaber1313

Apr 05, '17, 11:34am

Um the female engineering supervisor at one of our plants makes more than my engineering supervisor and he has been an engineer longer. If we are going to say there is a wage gap why don't we actually compare women and men in the same/very similar positions instead of comparing the wage women get working on creative stuff to what men make working on high paying science related positions. This argument is annoying.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Apr 05, '17, 12:14pm

Chaz wrote: If we are going to say there is a wage gap why don't we actually compare women and men in the same/very similar positions instead of comparing the wage women get working on creative stuff to what men make working on high paying science related positions.

Because that would negate the whole purpose of this false narrative.

I went out of my way to find arguments supporting the wage gap and I still ran into a mountain of evidence against it. Next to the 2016 election coverage, this is by far the biggest fail of the news media.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

The_Redback
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Apr 05, '17, 3:25pm

I can't believe that people are still spewing this bullshit. Especially when it is so easy to show that it simply isn't true.
Steam: The_Redback
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
Twitter: @The_Redback
Twitch: The_Redback

BJ_Detweiler
Producer

Apr 05, '17, 6:52pm

BuffArms
Baller

Apr 05, '17, 7:26pm

Yes Women will not be fighting for equality in the fields that pay well, but also are hard and dangerous. There will be no equalizing of the death gap.

Women, 79 Cents on the Dollar, 8% fatality risk.
Men, 100 Cents on the Dollar, 92% fatality risk.

Hmm...

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Apr 18, '17, 3:44pm

We we're wrong, guys. The wage gap exists.
An incomplete investigation of one company has proven widespread sexism. portilloPure1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPbabuv2kjI&t=99s

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... nt-lawsuit

BuffArms
Baller

Apr 18, '17, 4:11pm

I was wondering why she keeps saying the Wage gap exists after she proved it doesnt, and that what you see is actually a earnings gap (you know the difference between woman A vs Man B in the same job with the same experience, and ALL WOMEN vs ALL MEN in all Jobs....), but then I realized it was The Young Turks.

jacks81x
Pure One

Apr 24, '17, 10:34am

It's befuddling to me that so many people don't understand the difference between wages and earnings. It's equally baffling that an educated person can look at publicly available statistics and still claim that the 79 cents wage gap is real, but then can't explain why companies don't just hire all women and immediately lower their operating costs by 21%.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Apr 26, '17, 9:59am

When Colin does better reporting than CNN.

jacks81x
Pure One

Apr 26, '17, 10:13am

Raging Light wrote:When Colin does better reporting than CNN.

CNN is embarrassing.

! Message from: AirMcLaren
Removed tweets from quote.

BedaHouse
Seducer

Apr 27, '17, 4:46am

<shakes head> Sigh. Right. As long as we have numbers,, we can make them say whatever we want to say to fit our agenda. Its not new, I know, but its infuriating nevertheless.
Dad of 2 young kids. My game time is limited to a few minutes a day. :kinda is my tether to the gaming world.

BuffArms
Baller

Jul 16, '17, 4:24pm

Came across this on YouTube, and its too good not to post. This right wing scientific realist politician went on a British television morning show on International Women's Day, and tried to explain to Media personalities his insistence that women earn less because of physical realities and they of course berated and mocked him and showed their stupidity. PewDiePie of all people ran a piece mocking it like a week ago, and now a lot of other people are making pieces on it, in true YouTube fashion. But this one is by far the best and the most entertaining thing I have watched in a while.

https://youtu.be/N5Us4wcMtl4

Frostilyte
Video Games Moderator
Video Games Moderator

Jul 17, '17, 9:22am

BuffArms wrote:<Video>

Holy fuck. That's amazing.
Frost-Tea-Light