RespawnUK
Seducer
PSN: RespawnUK
Steam: Respawn.uK

Do You donate to charity?

Apr 07, '16, 5:32am

Well, do you?

I imagine most people that do have personal reasons to which charities they give their money/clothing to so I was just wondering which and why?

I'm not interested in how much you give because that's rather personal.

I for example have a direct debit that comes out of my account every month just after pay day that is a donation to Cancer Research, because as i suspect with most people it's something that has affected my life directly, losing my dad to it at the age of 15. Also having family members with body parts being removed to stop the spreading of cancer and most recently my uncles cancer returning.

It's an awful, horrible thing and I'm doing my (very little) part to help combat it.

I also give my clothes and unwanted items to charity shops (none specifically)

Need a sig or gif designed? click here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5521

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Re: Do You donate to charity?

Apr 07, '16, 3:30pm

On occasion. The only time I donate to charity is when I see the Salvation Army on the street with their buckets I will throw in $5 or if they come to my house as apart of their 'Red Shield Appeal' day I usually give them $10 or so.

Years and years ago when my dad was young, my Nan was having troubles and every single charity turned her away and refused to help at all because she did subscribe to their particular book of fairy tales but the Salvation Army were the only ones who came in and helped her out and didn't even ask about her religious views. That is how they still are to this day. For those reasons I will only support the Salvation Army (I have participated in door knocking and helping with public events when they have needed volunteers as well)
Steam: The_Redback
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Apr 07, '16, 4:27pm

Not as much or as often as I would like to but I'm not really filled with too much cash at the moment so it would not be responsible of me to donate when I'm not making much.
A long time ago I gave to help Hati though Bungie and got a cool T shirt

Given to food drives/toys to tots around the holiday (also give them money over items...they get deep discounts on both toys and food so money goes father with them)

GregB
Baller

Apr 07, '16, 4:50pm

I always buy a toy to put in a toy drive at x-mas time. There is always people for local food banks that come around on Halloween that I set aside stuff for. I give old clothes to a diabetes charity.

In terms of money I don't really do much other than spare change for salvation army at x-mas or sponsoring family/friends for charity runs or whatever. There are charity lotteries for cancer research that I buy into sometimes too.

Shuklar
Producer

Apr 07, '16, 5:01pm

I give clothing or household items to human charities, yet never money. I'm pretty tired of humanity though, so the vast majority of my charity goes to animals lol.

I used to volunteer at animal shelters, yet moved on to fostering dogs, which I'm currently doing at the moment.

gooseysoucy
Shadow Boxer
XBL: gooseysoucy

Apr 07, '16, 5:10pm

On and off and in unusually generous amounts. I've given thousands to the Combined Federal Campaign over the course of a few years and my last giving back was a hefty sum to After School All Stars, I got a signed t-shirt from Arnold Schwarzenneger for it, woot. I've done a few donations to other Omaze causes also. With less money in my pockets these days I've held back a bit.

QED
Unsung Hero

Apr 09, '16, 7:34am

Two charities I like:

Living Water International - works to give people clean water in South America, India, and Africa.

Musalaha - works to bring Palestinians and Israelis together for reconciliation.

BuffArms
Baller

Apr 14, '16, 8:46pm

No. I like being generous with friends, family, and businesses that make products or content I enjoy, not strangers.
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Apr 15, '16, 3:53am

On occasion, but only when I want to. I do not like people knocking at my door for donations, I don't like them calling up, and I don't like them stopping me in the shopping center/mall either. I want to do it when I feel charitable and not made to feel guilty for choosing one over another.
► Show Spoiler

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Apr 15, '16, 4:38am

Fuck no. FuckOff

johnnieps
Unsung Hero
PSN: johnnieps

Apr 15, '16, 6:03am

I have subscriptions to RSPB and Greenpeace. I've supported environmental charities for 5 years, giving both time and money. I think it's important for people to be involved in charity. It helps keep our selfishness in check and promotes a better attitude and philosophy in life.
:kinda VIP @ KFL2 - see y'all in May!! :kinda

Summer Road Trip 2016
May - KFl2 - San Francisco
June - E3 - LA
June - Lets Play Live
June - VidCon - Anaheim
July - Comic Con - San Diego
August - PAX DEV - Seattle
September - PAX PRIME - Seattle

PortyDumb portilloNick PortyDumb

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Apr 15, '16, 6:18am

Jay wrote:Fuck no. FuckOff

Why so objective of it?
► Show Spoiler

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Apr 15, '16, 6:37am

Mavryk wrote:
Jay wrote:Fuck no. FuckOff

Why so objective of it?

It's mine.

Also, Canadian dollar. I need it more.

bradley
Best Friend
PSN: Sirilbrinack

Apr 15, '16, 10:05am

I personally find myself donating more in my day to day interactions than like a monthly donation to a large organization. Most of the time I’ll donate money when asked by a cashier or any other situation like that. It’s a little awkward but I don’t mind it too much. It’s becoming more and more common though for businesses to ask if you want to donate and over a period of days and months it adds up to a lot of cash. I’d like to make a automatic monthly donation to something.

Some people have told me to donate where my money “goes the furthest”. That if I send $50 to a school in Congo I can put 20 kids through school for a week. While that same $50 donated to a hospital may only pay for a fraction of a medication. I’ve had other people say the exact opposite, that your money is best spent locally within the country or within your state etc.

Still trying to find something that really resonates with me. Hit me up if you got any personal favs

There’s websites like Give.org and CharityWatch.org that have a lot of info about many many charities.

AnnaPalmer
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Oct 11, '17, 5:28am

Yes, I do like donating to charity mostly. I also do sometimes volunteering for helping the community who are living in not so good condition. It feels really great to be a part of great cause for helping the humanity. Few days back, my friend recommended me this site for volunteering at abroad for a great cause.

vitzpatel
Baller
PSN: vitz1985

Oct 12, '17, 2:02am

I don't donate money on a regular basis, but I have been (in my opinion anyway) very generous to charity shops with old clothes and video game systems.

Given how the charity shop staff were quite blatant about the video games systems ending up in their possession without ever touching the charity shop floor, I do question their motives.
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

Eve Narlieth
Baller
PSN: gabieve

Oct 12, '17, 2:45am

I make single time donations to different charities that catch my eye. The last ones were Dying with Dignity (a charity that's trying to change the UK law about assisted dying) and ActionAid (which was asking for money to help girls in poor countries have access to sanitary products).

I sometimes donate to specific people, like when that guy from IGN had a car accident with his wife and she needed intense medical care. Or Matt Lees' wife's cancer treatment

vitzpatel wrote:Given how the charity shop staff were quite blatant about the video games systems ending up in their possession without ever touching the charity shop floor, I do question their motives.

Seriously? Do they at least pay for it?

vitzpatel
Baller
PSN: vitz1985

Oct 12, '17, 2:54am

Eve Narlieth wrote:
vitzpatel wrote:Given how the charity shop staff were quite blatant about the video games systems ending up in their possession without ever touching the charity shop floor, I do question their motives.

Seriously? Do they at least pay for it?

Nope they helped me carry it out of the boot of my car, because I had three bags of clothes and the boxed systems (apart from my Red GameBoy, PS2 and PS3 were in mint boxes) and they were said 'oh, that's going straight in my car', so I imagine that it didn't go through their inventory of items donated for that day.

I'm guessing that there's very few checks in detail as to the number of items donated and then the stock sold. They mustn't record every item that was donated, just the number of items.

I was appalled, but of course being British didn't say anything as I didn't want to cause offence...
psn: vitz1985 | twitter: @vitzpatel | random ramblings: @vitzpatel on Medium

BetoJR
Shadow Boxer
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Oct 12, '17, 6:10am

Well, yes. I feel like I just have to, you know, as long as I'm able to and not hurt my own.

I'm part of a group that helps people in need through various means and we also donate money to them on a monthly basis.
I also donate to Doctors Without Borders ever since I started getting a paycheck, for as long as I can remember.

CinciBoiler
Baller
PSN: Izzyrules

Oct 12, '17, 9:16am

Yes, I make regularly monthly contributions to a couple places, and also make various one time contributions when the moment strikes throughout the year. I also volunteer sometimes a local animal shelter, but I don't go anywhere near as often as I used to unfortunately (which is why they're one of my monthly contributions now). I also donate most of my old stuff (clothes/electronics/whatever) to Goodwill or a local church organization instead of just throwing them away.
Twitter: CinciBoiler
PSN: Izzyrules

Return to “Politics & Social Debates”