JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

IGN Staff Walk Out After Former Employee's Sexual Harassment Claims

Nov 13, '17, 5:34pm

https://kotaku.com/ign-employees-walk-o ... 1820409833

Joke: Looking for a part-time job writing Reviews, IGN might be hiring soon

Now onto the serious bit, this is kinda insane to see even at IGN. This sucks seeing that even at one of my favorite websites no one is safe from creepy guys
Also as a commenter pointed out funny how Vince who went after Colin turned out to be the real one who had issues with woman.

HeyImHayley
Unsung Hero
XBL: HeyImHayley
PSN: girly-gamer16

Nov 13, '17, 5:45pm

JerrodDRagon wrote:https://kotaku.com/ign-employees-walk-out-after-former-employees-sexual-ha-1820409833

Now onto the serious bit, this is kinda insane to see even at IGN. This sucks seeing that even at one of my favorite websites no one is safe from creepy guys
Also as a commenter pointed out funny how Vince who went after Colin turned out to be the real one who had issues with woman.

from alanah staff understood so i doubt anyone loses their job after this, but props to them

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

Nov 13, '17, 5:49pm

HeyImHayley wrote:
JerrodDRagon wrote:https://kotaku.com/ign-employees-walk-out-after-former-employees-sexual-ha-1820409833

from alanah staff understood so i doubt anyone loses their job after this, but props to them

I meant more like if they keep protesting (because IGN has yet to really comment on this..unless they're vague statement was all they wanted) and they need new people to work until the employees are happy

HeyImHayley
Unsung Hero
XBL: HeyImHayley
PSN: girly-gamer16

Nov 13, '17, 5:56pm

JerrodDRagon wrote:
HeyImHayley wrote:

I meant more like if they keep protesting (because IGN has yet to really comment on this..unless they're vague statement was all they wanted) and they need new people to work until the employees are happy

i see what you mean we'll see how this plays out

BuffArms
Baller

Re: IGN Staff Walk Out After Former Employee's Sexual Harassment Claims

Nov 13, '17, 5:57pm

I think Vince is a total shit heel (I once read his Twitter) but this seems way overblown. He claims he misread the situation, and from what I am reading IGN at the time thought he had a reason to.

The document, which Plagge shared with Kotaku, stated: “With regards to the investigation of harassment, evidence was presented to show a lack of professionalism in your part as well as others. Communication between you and Vince were both inappropriate, unprofessional, and violated our harassment policy.”

What is this evidence that supposedly shown that she was breaking the harassment policy? Why didn't IGN bring that up in this statement?

Are they saying their previous HR department fabricated this evidence? WTF.

This reads to me that IGN just caved to their staffs demand for progressive virtue signaling, and in the future will once again look at the evidence. Or just rail road the guy. Which is why I wouldn't want to be a straight guy working at IGN.
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

Jay
Tim's Disney Princess

Nov 13, '17, 6:26pm

The inmates have taken over the asylum. This is what happens when you create an echo chamber.

That said, Idgaf about Vince. I dunno if this is true or exactly how they claim it happened but what I do know is that Colin is responsible for him getting a job at IGN, he owes whatever little career he had to Colin and when Colin had the industry turn on him Vince turned on him too. It's not even that he needed to get involved, it's that he was liking tweets of people talking shit about Colin during that time and since he was unemployed at the time he was campaigning for Colin's job at KF right after Colin left. Ever since then I haven't liked the little fucker.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

Nov 13, '17, 6:48pm

Isn't Vince the guy that gave Evolve a 9/10? It's even more ironic that he practically stalked his way into IGN and begged Colin and Greg for a job.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Nov 13, '17, 8:27pm

BuffArms wrote:I think Vince is a total shit heel (I once read his Twitter) but this seems way overblown.

Agreed. As far as I know, what Vince did seems like it was a shitty attempt at flirting. What he was saying wouldn't have been taken as harassment if she was interested/attracted to the guy.
Steam: The_Redback
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback

BJ_Detweiler
Producer

Nov 14, '17, 7:44am

I'm no fan of Vince after he thoroughly threw Colin under the bus. From what I've seen though he apologized as soon as he realized he made her uncomfortable by flirting with her as a fat ugly guy?

tejotl
Producer

Nov 14, '17, 9:29am

OK so he said something to her - HR at the time concluded that both parties were unprofessional. She got 'panic attacks' for the rest of her career in IGN and now a year later she decided to get that out once again. The current staff members inspired by her pain and suffering decided to not work until someone says something...
So this is all in face of a situation which developed/normal human beings simply defuse by saying 'do not talk to me like that'

I bet those who refused to work posted some badass tweets that day #Pain and #Strong2Gether
walking on vector prime

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums

Nov 14, '17, 9:45am

Raging Light wrote:

Isn't Vince the guy that gave Evolve a 9/10? It's even more ironic that he practically stalked his way into IGN and begged Colin and Greg for a job.

Yes, he met them at a Beyond Event and Colin helped get him the job...just to have him turn around on Colin and now we find out that whether or not its harassment or not Vince should not be throwing stones at people

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Nov 14, '17, 9:58am

So wait. I am asking, honestly: They are mad that it happened and mad at him? Or are they mad how IGN's HR handled the situation?
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Nov 14, '17, 10:08am

BedaHouse wrote:So wait. I am asking, honestly: They are mad that it happened and mad at him? Or are they mad how IGN's HR handled the situation?

Both, I guess. Let's be honest, HR departments are not the best, anywhere in the world. Speaking from experience.

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Nov 14, '17, 10:10am

BedaHouse wrote:So wait. I am asking, honestly: They are mad that it happened and mad at him? Or are they mad how IGN's HR handled the situation?

Both.

I find it hilarious that she refers to herself as a 'victim' and is using #metoo on Twitter. If her story is accurate Vince didn't even come close to abusing her. He made inappropriate comments in the workplace and should have been reprimanded. According to her, she did nothing to provoke the comments but was lumped in with Vince as if they were equally culpable. This honestly sounds like a biased one-sided account of the situation. If she truly did nothing but was threatened by HR for no reason then that would be a serious problem. But aside from that possibility this story is massively overblown.

"This is a man who preyed on me, a young woman 15 years his junior".

Give me a fucking break. What Vince allegedly said didn't warrant anything more than a verbal warning from management.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

Wildblood
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: Danaxus82

Nov 14, '17, 11:03am

Here's Vince's side of things, for anyone interested.

RE: The things being said about me by Kallie Plagge. This will likely be long. The first thing I want to say is that I don't believe Kallie is a liar. We were friends once, at least I thought. I considered her one of my only friends at IGN.

What I believe is that I overestimated or perhaps misread the degree of our friendship. She would share very personal things with me looking for advice and support, and so I thought I could do the same. As it turns out, she thought of me more as a mentor than a friend.

So when I say I do not believe she is a liar, I mean to say, I believe she felt uncomfortable with our level of friendship, but being younger, perhaps was scared to say so. I have no desire to embarrass her, or myself by sharing screens of every conversation we had as proof.

There are legal limits to what I am allowed to say about the allegations she made against me, or the investigation that resulted. What I can say is that just prior to her making a complaint, I was told by a mutual friend, and then had it confirmed by Kallie that she had felt uncomfortable about the nature of our friendship. As soon as I learned this, texted her an apology, told her I had no idea how I had made her uncomfortable, but that it didn't matter how...I was simply sorry to have made her uneasy.

I have screen grabs of our final exchange uploading, in which I made this apology, and in which she thanked me for acknowledging her feelings and need for space. She wouldn't tell me what I had done (which is fine) but we left it at that. A week later the accusation came.

I complied fully, though I was never told exactly what I had specifically done to make her uncomfortable. I handed over my phone, and screen grabs of nearly every conversation we had had in the prior months. I said I was willing to do whatever I had to to make her comfortable.

After almost two weeks of working from home, a resolution was reached, and I was found to not have harassed her. I was asked to change seats to make her more comfortable, and I was happy to comply. We were both told to keep correspondence strictly work-related, which I did.

From that point on I kept as far away from her as I could. Since I had no idea what exactly I had done, I didn't want to risk upsetting her further. I spoke to her in person for work related issues once or twice, and by email several times in the months until she left IGN.

Despite not knowing how I might have hurt her, I was wracked by guilt and fear. Inevitably, we'd pass in a hall or have to be in a meeting together and I'd try to stay as far as I reasonably could. Again, I considered her a friend, and I felt badly for the whole thing.

All of this being said, I want to make something abundantly clear: I never touched Kallie in any sexual way, unless you think a very occasional hug is sexual. I never said anything lewd about her or her body. I never made any advances towards her. Nothing.

The only talk of any sexual nature that occurred would be when she voluntarily shared things of a personal nature to me, as friends sometimes do. I didn't graphically describe anything or force sexual conversations on her or anyone. That is not who I am, or will ever be.

I understand this will be emotional for many. All I can ask is please, whoever you believe, do not go piling on her. She doesn't deserve that. No one does. This was a very sad, tense, horrible thing for her I'm sure, as it was for me. Be respectful and kind. Please.

I've said about as much as I legally can or care to. Once I get these images of my apology and last exchange with her up, I will post it for posterity and that will be all. Since all of this rocked my life and hers, I've thought long and hard on what I perhaps might take away from this to make sure I both protect myself, and never inadvertently make someone I respect and care about feel so awful. I hold myself to a high standard, and will continue to. I hope Kallie and I can both find peace and healing.

With one final note, I want to say that no matter who you believe, no one has the implicit right to trample anyone's boundaries. Be your best self, and if someone tells you you've hurt them, apologize and be better. That's all I've got.

https://twitter.com/Vincogneato/status/ ... 6167038976

https://twitter.com/Vincogneato

Transfigurations
Producer

Nov 14, '17, 11:07am

The entire video game industry sounds like a fuckin terrible place to work. Walking on eggshells constantly. She's still "traumatized" after a year, because an ugly fat dude flirted with her, and she wasn't feeling it? Get outta town with that shit.

So what exactly did he say to "traumatize" her?

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Nov 14, '17, 11:55am

So this is turning into a "he said, she said" scenario.

Those always end well. FailFish

....the mob is already got their torches/pitchforks ready.

Yikes. At all of this. Just, yikes.
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

Vane
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: SorryWeAre0_o

Nov 14, '17, 12:09pm

I really don't know what they're trying to achieve by getting them to issue an apology, what good does that do anything?

Also Alanah Pearce claims to have witnessed his 'harassment' first hand and has challenged anyone on Twitter who has claimed the accusation is false, but has done nothing about it for over a year. Why now are you suddenly outraged with the company you work for when the last year you've been perfectly happy to do so?

BuffArms
Baller

Nov 14, '17, 12:19pm

Vane wrote:I really don't know what they're trying to achieve by getting them to issue an apology, what good does that do anything?

Also Alanah Pearce claims to have witnessed his 'harassment' first hand and has challenged anyone on Twitter who has claimed the accusation is false, but has done nothing about it for over a year. Why now are you suddenly outraged with the company you work for when the last year you've been perfectly happy to do so?

Hey just because the guy who did it was fired 8 months ago, does not mean that you can't virtue signal about how much you are going to change now.

What I want to know is what happened to that evidence that pointed out that she was also at fault? Was it fabricated? Or did IGN just decide that feminist virtue signalling is more important than fairly enforcing their policies?
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums

Nov 14, '17, 12:25pm

BedaHouse wrote:So this is turning into a "he said, she said" scenario.

It was always like that. But to even acknowledge that fact is a controversial statement nowadays.

I like Alanah Pearce as a gaming commentator but she is a perfect example of everything that's wrong with how we handle allegations. If you question or criticize them in anyway you are automatically trying to undermine and silence the victim. This guy wasn't even saying he didn't believe her story. He was only questioning her use of the #metoo hashtag that was intended for more severe allegations like rape and sexual assault. But apparently it's appropriate for a front-facing IGN employee to tell him to go die in a fire. This has to stop.

Return to “Politics & Social Debates”