nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
PSN: nicktorious_BIG
Steam: nicktorious_BIG

Trump's First State of the Union Address - 2018

Jan 30, '18, 10:32am

Trump's State of the Union | 2018

Preemptively creating this topic to provide a place to talk about Trump's State of the Union address that will take place tonight. It's going to be a noteworthy one considering this will be his first official and formal State of the Union address. (He addressed a joint congress last year around this time...but it wasn't a formal State of the Union)

I'm not sure what he is going to be talking about during his address specifically, but you bet he's going to be talking about Immigration, DACA, the nuclear threat from North Korea, and the uptick in the economy, among other things.

If you want a solid breakdown of information on the address before watching it tonight, Politico gives a broad rundown of tonight's address.

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jan 31, '18, 2:33pm

Well it went just as I thought it would go. He was pretty harsh on immigration, which was probably the biggest takeaway from the thing. His speech was very Trump-like but it wasn't the sort of flaming rhetoric we are used to seeing from him. I also enjoyed how he brought a bunch of special guests...like the one guy who was a detractor from North Korea. That was a very powerful moment. I thought the democratic reactions to what he was saying all night were pretty silly. But then again...most people think the State of the Union is silly to begin with so it's pretty par for the course.

Also thought it was goofy that Trump clapped for several of his own statements...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUx705bozA4

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Re: Trump's First State of the Union Address - 2018

Jan 31, '18, 4:26pm

I think for the most part it was a good speech if he can keep up his end of this bargain. He's calling for everyone to work together and if he can stay off Twitter name calling and misinformation then we are in business.

I don't believe him right now, but I'm open to his second year being better excited on the Leadership role.

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Steam: The_Redback

Jan 31, '18, 6:23pm

It a good speech from Trump (especially considering the train wreck I think some were hoping for)

nicktorious_BLT wrote:I thought the democratic reactions to what he was saying all night were pretty silly.

Looked like a bunch of sulking children that couldn't get their own way tbh.
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback
Youtube: (Sometimes I livestream games here)

BuffArms
Baller

Jan 31, '18, 8:01pm

The_Redback wrote:It a good speech from Trump (especially considering the train wreck I think some were hoping for)

nicktorious_BLT wrote:I thought the democratic reactions to what he was saying all night were pretty silly.

Looked like a bunch of sulking children that couldn't get their own way tbh.

My favorite part was when they didn't even clap when Trump said "Black and Hispanic unemployment at an all time low". The black caucus didnt clap for black people having jobs. They can't agree with Trump that that is good. FailFish

No wait my favorite part was when Rep Gutierrez walked out when people started chanting USA USA USA... nice to know where his allegiances really lie.

Or wait maybe its Joe Manchin clapping and then turning and eyeballing Schumer. Like "Oh Fuck the boss saw that!"

*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

Raging Light
Pride of the Forums
PSN: XDaimyo

Feb 01, '18, 4:04am

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right..."

nicktorious_BLT
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Feb 01, '18, 9:47am

BuffArms wrote:My favorite part was when they didn't even clap when Trump said "Black and Hispanic unemployment at an all time low". The black caucus didnt clap for black people having jobs. They can't agree with Trump that that is good. FailFish

Yeah I know. It was hilarious. Like what the fuck are you even doing? Trump could have announced that he had a cure for cancer and the Dems in the room still would have been hesitant to stand up....like come on. Some real children were in that room that night...

assassiankilla
Best Friend

Feb 03, '18, 9:28pm

I thought the State of the Union address was a fantastic example of the dysfunction that remains a constant in the Trump White House and that will ultimately plague his Presidency. The idea of the SOTU is to announce the new policy and set an agenda for the year ahead, this did none of that, the entirety of the quite lengthy speech was more of a celebration of the very few accomplishments Trump had in his first year. Judges, tax reform after that what else was there and to the point agianst what they did achieve the new tax reform is going to blow the deficit through the roof and the judicial nominees have been unqualified, to say the least, whether you agree with their point of view or not, I mean we all saw the clip of that one guy getting absolutely destroyed by the Senate Judiciary Committee. It continues to baffle my mind to try and rationalize why the GOP establishment continues to act as an accomplice to this terrible presidency, they more than willingly sold their souls for tax reform that works completely against the idea of fiscal responsibility and for what, the 33% that the President can bring with him on a good day? The Speech itself was not well written either there was no "The era of big Government is over" or "The Axis of evil" line from the speech and the biggest pop from the audience was about Steve Scalise recovering and being a " Legend". I generally want to see good things come out of a presidency and normally think that at least one good thing will, but this is the first president I don't think can accomplish something good.

BuffArms
Baller

Feb 04, '18, 9:38am

assassiankilla wrote:I thought the State of the Union address was a fantastic example of the dysfunction that remains a constant in the Trump White House and that will ultimately plague his Presidency. The idea of the SOTU is to announce the new policy and set an agenda for the year ahead, this did none of that,

Did you miss the parts on Immigration, Infrastructure, and building up the Military? That was the policy goals for the year, that's why it was in the speech.

the entirety of the quite lengthy speech was more of a celebration of the very few accomplishments Trump had in his first year. Judges, tax reform after that what else was there and to the point agianst what they did achieve the new tax reform is going to blow the deficit through the roof and the judicial nominees have been unqualified, to say the least, whether you agree with their point of view or not, I mean we all saw the clip of that one guy getting absolutely destroyed by the Senate Judiciary Committee. It continues to baffle my mind to try and rationalize why the GOP establishment continues to act as an accomplice to this terrible presidency, they more than willingly sold their souls for tax reform that works completely against the idea of fiscal responsibility and for what, the 33% that the President can bring with him on a good day?

Tax reform added 1.5 Trillion over 10 years, in a period where we were going an extra 9 TRILLION in debt already. Trump cut regulation and cut taxes and the market has boomed as a result. Unemployment is at all time lows for minorities, and an almost 20 year low overall. This has had the effect that now employers are being forced to pay more to get good employees and retain them, which is shown in the wage growth numbers. Wage growth in January was actually so good that the market took a hit because it likely means the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates again. The economy is healthy again, its growing, and its growth is being felt across all races, all income brackets. That is because of Trump and his policies. That is what he achieved last year.

The market rose more since Trump was elected than during Obama's second term, and it will continue to rise! The Government is no longer going to punish you for succeeding!

As for the judges, yeah he had a couple bad candidates, not the first and wont be the last president to do so; and he had several great ones, including our new Supreme Court Justice. Also the person who pointed out the bad nominee, the one that got him to resign, WAS A REPUBLICAN SENATOR. Who did his job and performed proper vetting.

The Speech itself was not well written either there was no "The era of big Government is over" or "The Axis of evil" line from the speech and the biggest pop from the audience was about Steve Scalise recovering and being a " Legend". I generally want to see good things come out of a presidency and normally think that at least one good thing will, but this is the first president I don't think can accomplish something good.

Americans are Dreamers Too. That was the line. Or maybe it was New American Moment! Take your pick.
*Signature Crafted by Tidal Town

assassiankilla
Best Friend

Feb 04, '18, 5:35pm

BuffArms wrote:
assassiankilla wrote:I thought the State of the Union address was a fantastic example of the dysfunction that remains a constant in the Trump White House and that will ultimately plague his Presidency. The idea of the SOTU is to announce the new policy and set an agenda for the year ahead, this did none of that,

Did you miss the parts on Immigration, Infrastructure, and building up the Military? That was the policy goals for the year, that's why it was in the speech.

the entirety of the quite lengthy speech was more of a celebration of the very few accomplishments Trump had in his first year. Judges, tax reform after that what else was there and to the point agianst what they did achieve the new tax reform is going to blow the deficit through the roof and the judicial nominees have been unqualified, to say the least, whether you agree with their point of view or not, I mean we all saw the clip of that one guy getting absolutely destroyed by the Senate Judiciary Committee. It continues to baffle my mind to try and rationalize why the GOP establishment continues to act as an accomplice to this terrible presidency, they more than willingly sold their souls for tax reform that works completely against the idea of fiscal responsibility and for what, the 33% that the President can bring with him on a good day?

Tax reform added 1.5 Trillion over 10 years, in a period where we were going an extra 9 TRILLION in debt already. Trump cut regulation and cut taxes and the market has boomed as a result. Unemployment is at all time lows for minorities, and an almost 20 year low overall. This has had the effect that now employers are being forced to pay more to get good employees and retain them, which is shown in the wage growth numbers. Wage growth in January was actually so good that the market took a hit because it likely means the Federal Reserve will raise interest rates again. The economy is healthy again, its growing, and its growth is being felt across all races, all income brackets. That is because of Trump and his policies. That is what he achieved last year.

The market rose more since Trump was elected than during Obama's second term, and it will continue to rise! The Government is no longer going to punish you for succeeding!

As for the judges, yeah he had a couple bad candidates, not the first and wont be the last president to do so; and he had several great ones, including our new Supreme Court Justice. Also the person who pointed out the bad nominee, the one that got him to resign, WAS A REPUBLICAN SENATOR. Who did his job and performed proper vetting.

The Speech itself was not well written either there was no "The era of big Government is over" or "The Axis of evil" line from the speech and the biggest pop from the audience was about Steve Scalise recovering and being a " Legend". I generally want to see good things come out of a presidency and normally think that at least one good thing will, but this is the first president I don't think can accomplish something good.

Americans are Dreamers Too. That was the line. Or maybe it was New American Moment! Take your pick.

To your first point the mention of Immigration, Infrustruction and building up the military are not new poilcy ininitives Donald Trump has been talking about them since he announced his candidicy in 2015 and in his speech he did not take a position or indicate what he wanted to do on these isssues. ( Also republicans have been takling about building up the military since Honest Abe so its really not new) He had the oppurtunity to do something with infrastructure but the administration decided to take up and 8 month crusade on Obamacare that ended in failure. If they started with infrastructure and got a bipartisan bill I think were talking about an entirly different and succsessful first year.

To your second point, we aren't talking about the debt, the debt will rise regardless, what we are takiling about is the defeicit which is the year over year spending compared to intake. The CBO deficit projection for 2017 was $559 billion, the 2018 Deficit projection estimate could surpass $1 Trillion because the tax cuts do not reflect the relivant spending cuts. The tax cuts for the middle class has a sunset clause attached to it so Ill see tax cuts for the next 10 years but what happens then, the high tax brackets have no sunset clause they are there forever. I want balance EVERYWHERE and the tax cuts are not balanced and stacking the court with conservative judeges isnt either. Judges shouldnt know how their going to decide on any issue, its the job of every lawyer to prove their case and convince the judge because every case is different and a judge should make their judgement base on the facts of the case not predisposition, this is a problem that superscides one President or his Administration . ( also Thank god it was a Republican Senator who called those guys out it would have been horribly partisan if it was anybody else)

To your Third, Americans being dreamers too is nothing new the American dream is not exclusive to people who come here for America itself was founded on a dream . And the new American movement? The country is more divided than ever before including the Civil War so if thats the standard for what the Next American movement lookslike than its one I want no part of and will fail and tear the country apart even more than it already is.

The_Redback
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Feb 05, '18, 3:33pm

The GOP have put up an ad based around the horrible democrat decision to not move from their seats.

https://youtu.be/kyRuEzlpTXg
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
PSN: Phesath
Twitter: @The_Redback
Youtube: (Sometimes I livestream games here)

BedaHouse
Shadow Boxer
NNID: SW-7247-7185-4510

Feb 06, '18, 5:19am

I don't like this man. I don't like the way he behaves and carries himself as the elected leader of our country.

That said, to borrow a line from the mini series Band of Brothers, "You salute the rank, not the man." While this has been going on forever, I feel regardless of who is in the seat, you respect the office of the presidency. Acting like children, leaving, not standing, or flat out playing your phone is just unprofessional.

Inversely, yesterday Trump called democrats "un-American" and "treasonous." Yikes. Again, just talk or not, not how I feel the president should conduct himself. But then again, when has Trump given one fuck about what/how he should behave.
Disclaimer: The statements made above are in no way a reflection of my education and intelligence level. Any lapses in logic,, grammatical or misspelling errors are completely the result of my lifelong inability to proof read well. You've been warned. portilloIndeed

BetoJR
Baller
PSN: BetoJR_FOR

Feb 06, '18, 6:33am

BedaHouse wrote:Inversely, yesterday Trump called democrats "un-American" and "treasonous."

Yeah, it's not like the people in his own party behave all that much better, now is it?

NickNasty

JerrodDRagon
Pride of the Forums
XBL: JerrodDragon89
PSN: JerrodDragon

Feb 06, '18, 8:59am

BetoJR wrote:
BedaHouse wrote:Inversely, yesterday Trump called democrats "un-American" and "treasonous."

Yeah, it's not like the people in his own party behave all that much better, now is it?

NickNasty

People forget both sides are babies in this way.

I might not like Trump, but if I was elected I'd stand and cheer for the people he brought on stage that night, those people lived extraordinary lives.

Return to “Politics & Social Debates”