Deathtone
Lifestyle & Ent Moderator
PSN: elmo_ticklethis
NNID: deathtone

Giant Korean Robot Designer Plans to Help Quake-Hit Fukushima

Jan 06, '17, 12:50am

CNN reported on Monday that Hollywood designer Vitaly Bulgarov is developing a 13-foot "robot-powered suit" called Method-2 in Gunpo, South Korea. Bulgarov's latest project is the live-action Ghost in the Shell film starring Scarlett Johansson. He designed the Lamborghini Lockdown for the Transformers films and a robotic boy suit for the latest Robocop film. However, the visual effects expert insists that the Method-2 is a real-world robot with practical applications.

Bulgarov said, "A modified version of that robotic vehicle is already in development and planned to operate in the Fukushima disaster area." Fukushima was one of the areas in northeastern Japan hit hardest by the earthquake and tsunami disaster in 2011.

The South Korean company Hankook Mirae Technology is designing the robot. Bulgarov told CNN, "Future iterations could find its application in a lot of different areas, from construction and cargo loading to rescue operations." The developers are currently working on modifications to allow the robot to operate on uneven terrain and have space for a "sufficient power source."

Due to Bulgarov's Hollywood background in visual effects, some media sources are questioning whether the robot is actually all that it seems. Some people are casting doubt on how realistic the lab appears in a promotional video. They also found Hankook Mirae Technology's initial lack of a significant online presence suspicious.

Bulgarov claims that a video of the prototype unexpectedly went viral, and the development team planned to unveil Method-2 later in 2017. The developer said that a press release and website updates were planned for after the prototype's completion, and the team was unprepared for this much interest in the robot at this point.

The development process is reportedly continuing at Hankook Mirae Technology. Bulgarov said "As you can see the legs still have no shells covers and feature a 'naked' frame." According to the developer, Method-2 is one year old, and the next version may be ready for publicity later this year.

South Korean robotics team KAIST unveiled a bi-pedal, transforming DRC-Hubo robot at a competition in the United States last year. The robot won the top prize of US$2 million.

Source: ANN
Have a suggestion for Poll of the Week? Then p.m. me your suggestion!

Discord: deathtone#4863
Movie Collection: http://deathtoneaenima.filmaf.com/owned
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... /deathtone
► Show Spoiler

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Re: Giant Korean Robot Designer Plans to Help Quake-Hit Fukushima

Jan 07, '17, 7:46pm

I'd love to see it in action, but at the moment I see it like Hoverboards where they only kinda work.
► Show Spoiler

The_Redback
Steam: The_Redback

Jan 07, '17, 8:28pm

Yup, we are definitely headed towards a weird anime/cyberpunk future. Tbh, I can't wait.
Steam: The_Redback
Battle.net: TheRedback#6129
Twitter: @The_Redback

BuffArms
Shadow Boxer

Jan 08, '17, 7:47pm

I am curious if this is now a possibility because of advancement in batteries made to meet auto industry demand. That has for a long time been the biggest issue with it.

At this point the applications for it don't seem great. Making the cockpit for the human seems very wasteful when you could just make it a drone, or even an autonomous AI. Though I think the real future for clean up work will be smaller rigs that a worker can just put on over their clothes and use for lifting. Like you see in stuff like Edge of Tomorrow or Advanced Warfare.

Mavryk
Management
Management
PSN: MavrykDH
Steam: mavryk_darkhaven

Jan 10, '17, 9:32pm

The_Redback wrote:Yup, we are definitely headed towards a weird anime/cyberpunk future. Tbh, I can't wait.

I just hope it comes soon and that I wasn't born too early for it OMGScoots
► Show Spoiler

conghaubg
Portillo's Mouth Noises

Jan 13, '17, 7:16am

great idea